MMA sync problem - music storage location

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

freaky_andy_hh

MMA sync problem - music storage location

Post by freaky_andy_hh »

Hi all
I have an HTC One M8 (Lollopop 5.0.1) and I am using MMW on my PC, MMA on my HTC. WLAN sync always worked great!
Since a few days I have an SD card (SanDisk ultra 64GB) mounted and now I'd like to sync my library to this card.
Technically everything works fine and (I guess) by default MMA stores the library on the SD card into path "android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files/Music/..."
Unfortunately my media files in this folder are not found by the other (standard) Music App which I sometimes like to use to stream the music to my Smart TV. Same issue with MusiXmatch and other apps. Only apps where I can manually browse for folders seem to work - like Poweramp.

What I found out now is that if I create another separate (not in MMA path) folder on the SD card call it "Music" I move my music from default path to there all other apps immediately recognize the music!

Is there a way to specify that MMA shall sync to another folder than the default one? I haven't found anything - I can only specify folders to be included into the media library!?

Or - other option - can I tell the other apps to also scan the MMA default music folder?

Would be nice if anyone had a clue, because always manual copying huge amounts of data can't be the solution....

Rgds
Andreas

P.S.: sorry for my awful German English
Peke

Re: MMA sync problem - music storage location

Post by Peke »

Unfortunately MMA is forced to save files into "android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/" due the restrictions imposed to system access by Android itself.

It first tries to save to /Music/ and if it can't access than it saves to "android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/"
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Gerlin

Post by Gerlin »

Is this still true on Lollipop? It is my understanding that Google has added the capability for apps to now read/write shared access directories.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lollipop- ... kind-youll

Though, if I read this correctly the developers must implement this capability in their software.

This is something that MMA can support?
bhiefer

Post by bhiefer »

Hi, yes you are right, android has whole new api for it and no worries: It is already implemented for lollipop devices and after some testing, it will be available soon in beta build.
redliner

Post by redliner »

bhiefer wrote: it will be available soon in beta build.
Any ETA on soon?
leighduffy

Post by leighduffy »

redliner wrote:
bhiefer wrote: it will be available soon in beta build.
Any ETA on soon?
just a bump to check whether there is a fix for this yet - I've started using an SD Card in my HTC One Mini 2 and having exactly the same issue, using most recent MM Beta and Android 4.4.2 - and wonder if anyone has found a solution that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
pauby

Post by pauby »

There is apparently a fix for this at http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... teddeleted. For me it still doesn't work. MMA scans the folder for a couple of seconds and then does nothing.
leighduffy

Post by leighduffy »

thanks for the link pauby, i'd stumbled on that explanation while trying to sort my problem but i, as with you, am still unable to completely resolve my problem.
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

I don't know if this helps anyone, but on my VZW Lollilpop Android (5.0.x), as a workaround, I take out my microsd card from my phone and delete the following:

Code: Select all

[/storage/extSdCard/]Android/data/com.ventismedia.android.mediamonkey/files/storageInfo.xml
. Then MMW syncing to the microSD card follows the user set directory/file masks. If I don't delete storageInfo.xml, then MMW will do either of the two things: 1) delete the entire collection on the microSD card and sync the collection back to the user set directory/file masks or 2) delete the entire collection and sync it back to the Android default directory. My thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 26&t=83185
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin