Limited Access to Storage

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

1337haXXor

Limited Access to Storage

Post by 1337haXXor »

I'm on the newest Android and Windows Beta/Debug, paid versions. This has been happening for the past few weeks or so. I frequently make changes on the server (Windows) that changes the music on the client, which deletes them. I noticed the deletion progress bar completed almost instantly, and realized it was not deleting music at all. All of the boxes are checked properly as far a syncing goes, everything's been fine in this regard until now. I have all of my music on my SD card, but the attached picture shows there are now issues.

I understand how permissions work, and it seems like this issue relates to that, but I don't understand how it randomly happened. I thought it might be a failing SD card, but MM writes to it fine, and other programs read/write/delete without issue. The "Library Folders" section looks a bit different. It shows Internal and SD, with the typical 3 folders of Movies, Music, and Video, but in SD it now shows an additional one of like, Storage/Music and Storage/Videos.

I've tried deleting those extra 2 permissions, deleting and reassigning all permissions, clearing the app's cache/data, and fully uninstalling (while also deleting all MM folders on both internal and SD). No dice, though. Even after that full wipe, upon reinstall, it checked for new media for all my files and found them, but when syncing would only sync 1 or 2 playlists at a time (I have about 12 to sync), and still won't delete tracks and has other issues, like I have one song that has a regular and acoustic version (both with the same name in the tag, but different albums and thus folder structure with how I have it set up) and the standard version is just the acoustic one now, while showing all the metadata from the acoustic one.

1337haXXor

Re: Limited Access to Storage

Post by 1337haXXor »

Okay, I'm at a loss. I fully wiped the SD card, and readded my other files I keep on there. It wrote kind of slowly, but it was fine. I uninstalled MediaMonkey as well and started it up fresh. During the initialization, when I went to grant access to the SD card, a toast notification popped up that said "This device does not support writing to sdcard."

??? I just wrote ~8GB worth of data and files to it a minute earlier.

More info: Phone is an LG G8X, so newer. Card is a 512GB, official Samsung U3 card. Not fake, as I've had it ~98% full and everything worked fine.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Wow, got it. I pretty heavily disable unused apps on my phone, so naturally that's the first place I go. I had disabled the Android default "files" program, since I use my own file browser. It seems MediaMonkey doesn't have an option to use a different file browser to grant SD access, and fails with the aforementioned error when "Files" isn't installed. Would I report this as a bug, or is this intentional, since most people don't disable their default Files app?

This still doesn't explain why I all of a sudden started having problems to begin with. I'd disabled Files a long time ago, and just recently started having the weird syncing issues. Now that I've wiped the SD card, I'll resync (it'll take a while) and see if that problem still persists.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for detailed explanation. I guess that you enabled access to SDcard prior to disabling "Files" and it was needed again when you formatted SDCard so access to "Files" was needed again.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts