mma stopped syncing wirelessly

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: mma stopped syncing wirelessly

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is strange behavior and something is blocking connection.

If you want you can try this free app (I personally use it) https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php that ill show you state of Firewall and connection logs.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can always try to run without firewall (maybe disconnect internet from your network first) and see if that resolves it, but did you make sure the client is allowed access in the Media Servers settings?
toyzrme

Post by toyzrme »

FYI ran into a problem similar to this - tried all of the suggestions (reinstalled MMA, formatted SD card on S10 phone, delete/disable/enable the device in the device lists, etc) - also noticed that the server IP address list had 2 IP's that weren't even on my subnet (?? - and this is on a 50lb box!)

What finally seemed to work was disabling the 2 MMW servers (libraries) I had, and adding a new one to the list, approved the connection, and voila, it worked.

Not sure WHY, but I don't have time to debug ...
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
micawbersmu

Post by micawbersmu »

The 2020 comment about MM becoming less user-friendly is definitely still accurate in 2022. And more so. Exactly this problem showed up out of the blue for me just now. Any little change (new version of MM, new PC, new phone, new brand of deodorant) has always been enough to bring MM and me to our knees. With most systems, new software versions try to fix the big problems and then move on to the little stuff and new features. MM ignores the big problems, adds changes that only make the little stuff more complex, and adds features that cripple things that used to just work. It's as though the devs are deliberately user hostile. It shows in their forum comments. Never a sign of "Oops, we goofed." Just an endless loop of: "Did you do this? Did you do this? Did you do this? Did you .... " And "You need to perform this onerous series of steps to send us a debug log or otherwise it's not our responsibility." I'm a comp sci professional with years of sys dev experience and I have never worked with a piece of software as obtuse and brittle as MM. The design philosophy that seems to show itself is one I am all too familiar with: bug fixes are boring, throwing everything out for a complete redesign is fun (for devs, but usually not for users). It's kept Office continuously unusable for decades. The only reason I punish myself with it is that there are literally no alternatives anymore if you hope to do sync of songs and playlists between phone and PC. I know, I should just put it all in the cloud. But that's no help when you like to camp. After years with MM and never ending battles with its sync and libraries and playlists and a UI that always moves towards complexity over simplicity, I'm about ready to give up on listening to music altogether. There is now only cloud storage (nonstarter without a network), streaming (also a nonstarter without a network and limited to what music they want to serve), and nothing. I saw the signs in the 2000s, but software is now fully in its masturbatory phase. The devs get their jollies and the users get jizz in the face. If I sound furious, it's because I am, especially having paid for the "Fool's Gold" version. I expect to see either no response to this or responses that point out how wrong I am because I violated some provision in the Treaty of Kadesh or something. Sheesh.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey constantly receives bug fixes. MediaMonkey 5 was a redesign to be able to go cross platform and because MediaMonkey 4 and older relied on outdated technologies.

The team is always here to help users with Sync issues. Unfortunately due to the many different setups for MMW, the many different networks users use and the plethora of Android devices/Android versions it starts with asking questions. Wi-fi Sync is often blocked by either a Firewall on the Windows PC, or the network the user is using. However, often with help from users plenty of bugs have been solved in Sync over the years.

Wi-fi Sync troubleshooting: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... rk-at-all/