Is MMA development functionally dead?

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

DRMMR76

Is MMA development functionally dead?

Post by DRMMR76 »

I know every couple months or so I see an update for MediaMonkey Android in the Android play store, but the release notes for each update seem to only be bug fixes or adding support for some version of Android auto. Is actual development, in terms of adding new features and improving the app itself, functionally dead? It's been years since I've seen this app actually add a feature or improve in a noticeable way. I know there is still some sort of development going on for under the hood things like bug fixes, but for instance, I made a thread here two years ago asking if there would be any increased functionality for the audiobook part of the app. Just adding things like a + 30 or + 15 fast forward button to the player, or giving the podcast part of the app the ability to add new podcasts, sync, and download on its own without needing to be syncef to a PC. Features that other audiobook or podcast apps have had for a decade or more. I was told that those features were in development, but that was 2 years ago and I have not seen a single new feature added to the app. We still can't even do something as simple as having a different color scheme or a daytime interface with white instead of black.

I know with operating systems like Windows, Microsoft will say that they are stopping full support of an OS on a certain date. They'll say that they will continue to put out security fixes or antivirus updates for that operating system for another couple of years, but that active development for that operating system is being shut down so they can move on to the next one. Is MediaMonkey for Android in that state? Has actual development just shut down at this point and the only thing we can look forward to now is minor bug fixes?

It seems like MediaMonkey as a whole is stuck in the early 2010s, and it does not appear that it will ever evolve or add new functions or features that have been apart of other apps for many years already. Is it time to try to look for something else?
Peke

Re: Is MMA development functionally dead?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM5 https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d is already in hammering/polishing state.
MMA 1.x is in stability fixes states and MMA 2.0 is in internal testing that will be released for testing as soon as MM5 gets released due the fact that using current MMW 4.x do not have improvements and means to support all the wishes and things we made.

We at MM team over the years have set very high bar for MM quality and stability and we are glad that we managed to explain to users that half build product is not an option. Stability of implemented features needs to be done and working as designed, which will allow us much need time to further improve and add new features instead just fixing bugs and half designed features.

Personally, I would be the first that would not allow/trust app with all my music collection (I collect for more than 27 years) unless it is safe. As the old saying tell "Better be safe, than sorry." no matter how small the chance is I have 200k+ and 15 years of statistical reasons to be couscous.

ATM Only thing I regret is that I can't post images of MMA 2.0 UI and all the improvements we made across various usage cases and device types.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Keep up the great work Pavle... and thanks
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
jduffus

Post by jduffus »

I came looking for a discussion of MMA, specifically around improving the fast-forward capabilities. I found this one, which hits the same question and is dated two yeaqrs ago. And there is a mention of MMA 2.x being in development as well. Here I sit with the latest version on my phone, version 1.45.

I am a beta tester for MMW and it has really improved. I think it's time to direct more attention to the Android companion app.

1. For we users who listen to podcasts, a 30-second forward skip is a nice feature. Podcasts these days contain ads that are 30 seconds, 1 minute or 2 minutes. Having a fast way to jump past those would be nice.

For we users who listen to audiobooks, certain features would be nice. One I can think of is allowing a separate equalization setting for audiobook and/or podcast modules so vocal tracks will be more pleasant to listen to without having to adjst the EQ.

For the PnP function, one problem I consistently have is when I try to stream a particular album from my computer to my phone. After I choose the album through the browsing functions, the tracks almost never show up in regular track number order. At least, not the first time. I've learned that pressing BACK then selecting the album a second time usually delivers the album tracks in the correct order. But this is, in my mind, a bug.

The OP suggested adding a podcast subscription capability to MMA, which would be great for people who can't sync to their desktop MMW because they are away.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMA 2.0 is on a slow roll out to beta testers (you can become a beta tester in MMA itself).
gordol

Post by gordol »

MMA 2 just showed up in my Google Play update list.

Does this mean that I can ignore the line in MMA2 update notes that MMA Pro needs to be updated too? Because I am unable to locate a v2 for MMA Pro.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Gordol,

MediaMonkey Pro 2 was on a staged rollout but has since rolled out to all users. Try checking for an update again.

Thanks!

-Rusty
gordol

Post by gordol »

If this is the full roll out, why did I not get the beta? I'm in the beta program.

MMA Pro is now showing as updateable, but I had to manually search for it. I had already made sure that it was not in my phone's Sleeping Apps list (which stupidly disabled updates for the app).
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

can't find it. no update message, no hit in play store beside the already installed 1.45.

question reguarding the beta: i run MMA on 3 devices. Can I, and how, install MMA2 on just one of my devices for testing, leaving the others with MMA?
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
rusty

Post by rusty »

We'd rolled out a 'staged update' to v2, and it looks like all available update slots were used. I've rectified this so anyone subscribed to the beta should now be able to upgrade.

Thanks!

-Rusty
Peke

Post by Peke »

Andre_H wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:18 pm question reguarding the beta: i run MMA on 3 devices. Can I, and how, install MMA2 on just one of my devices for testing, leaving the others with MMA?
you should be able to disable Auto-Update on each device when in Play store watching MMA page then use ⋮ to disable Auto Update.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Thank you both. Got the update now, and missed disabling the update on my main device.

I'm all in now ... :lol:
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
jaroclay8

Post by jaroclay8 »

So, I am a beta tester for MMA but I do not see any updates. It shows v1.4.4.0956, updated on 10/25/2021. I deleted MMA from my phone thinking that would update things. No Go. I am not sure what is wrong or if I have something set incorrectly. Thank you!
rusty

Post by rusty »

When you open the Play store > MediaMonkey, does it indicate that you're a beta tester?
- If yes, click the 'Update' button to update to the latest beta. If yes, but there's no update button, it means that you're running an old version of Android that isn't compatible with MMA 2.
- If no, then in MMA, tap Options | About | Register for test builds. Then go back to the Play Store > MediaMonkey and click the 'Update' button.

Does that answer your question?

-Rusty
jaroclay

Post by jaroclay »

rusty wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:09 pm When you open the Play store > MediaMonkey, does it indicate that you're a beta tester?
- If yes, click the 'Update' button to update to the latest beta. If yes, but there's no update button, it means that you're running an old version of Android that isn't compatible with MMA 2.
- If no, then in MMA, tap Options | About | Register for test builds. Then go back to the Play Store > MediaMonkey and click the 'Update' button.

Does that answer your question?

-Rusty
Thank you, Rusty, for the information. The Playstore did not show updates still after clearing the cache. I ended up having to use the "Register for Test Builds" option in MMA and once I got the Playstore via my browser, the update was there. Hopefully, the Playstore will see future builds pushed out now.

MMA is not the first app I have signed up for beta testing and the Playstore shows nothing is available. My personal phone is also my work phone so the "work profile" is enabled. I wonder if this is part of the issue. Regardless, I got it working and am very pleased with the updates - great job!