Media Sharing DLMA.UPnP - Confused

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

foxint

Media Sharing DLMA.UPnP - Confused

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys,

From the outset, can I apologise for the stupid question. I read and do not understand, then give it away and then try again.

I notice MM can be a Media Server. I think that is a good idea, but I am not sure what it really does.

On the Media Sharing (UPnP/DLNA) set up…I do not know what to do next. There is Add/Remove/Options…..but I have not idea what it is asking.

I tried to read the instructions and I got totally lost.

One thing I have been thinking of is and I do not know if this is Media Serving….but I would like to send Audio (via the network) to another PC that is purely for audio. I think this will make the sound better.

Is this what DLNA/UPnp is all about.

Sorry for the stupid question. I know MM is a powerful programme, but I have no idea what the other things are. All I do with MM is play music. That is all I know how to do.
Sorry ....
Lowlander

Re: Media Sharing DLMA.UPnP - Confused

Post by Lowlander »

DLNA is an industry standard so MediaMonkey can play to any DLNA capable Client or from any DLNA capable Server. In this case you may want to cast to the other player.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/4.0
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Lowlander.

Thank you.

I read this and did not understand how to implement the operation.

I am guessing I have to put MM on both PC’s???
Plus, what are the setting?
Where should the Music file physically sit?
How do I make the other PC DLNA compatible?

Sorry for being so dumb.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

foxint .. let me explain how my system is setup and it might help.

First I have a computer I call Server. It has 4 8tb drives with Music, TV episodes and Movies. This server is running MM. As long as I have MM running (or the service running) I can access all the media on Server with other Devices.

Second, I have a computer I call Desktop. This has no media of any kind. It is running MM. I can access the media on Server (when Server is running MM or service is running). Under 'Devices & Services' is 'MediaMonkey (Server)'. Click on that will connect with the Server and start the process menu.

Third, I have a BluRay play on my tv in the front room. If i look at the menu-input there will be a listing for 'MediaMonkey (Server)'. Selecting this will once again start the menu process .. allowing me to select TV (a collection on my Server) and then Series then M*A*S*H. Then select an episode and it starts playing.

Does this help? It really is that easy to make the connection. Just remember that the "SERVER" has the media and the client simply accesses it.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
foxint

Post by foxint »

Dtsig – thank you.

I think I got myself all twisted as I have everything on my Desktop.

I need to put the Media on a totally different PC. Put MM on Media-PC also put MM on Desktop.

What settings do I need to make/change so I can access Media-PC from my Desktop and my BluRay Player?

I have spare PC’s.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

just remember ... that is how I have it set up. You could do it all with 1 pc. Once you have mm running go to Tools-Options-Media Sharing. Be sure that MediaMonkey Library is Enabled. Then with it selected go to Options.
There should be a checkbox for 'Share automatically with all new devices'. Be sure that is checked.
This should be all that is necessary. At this point any DNLA client *should* be able to see MM and connect
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
foxint

Post by foxint »

Sir

Thank you...but I cannot find
'Share automatically with all new devices'.

I am on MM4
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The MediaMonkey 5 help is a bit more extensive and most applies to MediaMonkey 4 too: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0

If you want to play to (instead of play from) the other PC make sure you have accept input/control of MediaMonkey Player via UPnP/DLNA enabled under Tools > Options > Player on the MediaMonkey install you want to play to. On the MediaMonkey you're using to select the files to play to the other MediaMonkey set the Player to UPnP/DLNA renderer and select the MediaMonkey Player you're playing to.

Default settings under Tools > Options > Media Sharing should do for Play To.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Lowlander.

Thank you.

I read the MM5 UPnP and got confused. Not sure if I should ask questions about Library or IP Addresses…??? All my PC’s have static IP Addressed, so I will probably have to ask some dumb question sooner or later.

If you want to play to (instead of play from) the other PC make sure you have accept input/control of MediaMonkey Player via UPnP/DLNA enabled under Tools > Options > Player on the MediaMonkey install you want to play to. On the MediaMonkey you're using to select the files to play to the other MediaMonkey set the Player to UPnP/DLNA renderer and select the MediaMonkey Player you're playing to.

Do I want to play to??

Let’s say I have Music on PC-UD5 and I work on workstation PC-X299. I think I want to get as much off my workstation as possible – is this correct?

In Player (on PC-UD5) I only tick DLNA Setting square and leave all the rest default??? What about Choose Player?

????
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Play to is where you control some other DLNA Client. So on your main PC you control what is played on the other PC running MediaMonkey. This is done with Choose Player. As long as the other PC has MediaMonkey allowing to be controlled this should work. The other PC does not need to have a DLNA Server (Media Sharing) enabled.

The Main PC technically doesn't need a DLNA Server enabled either, but I'd recommend it so that you can also use the other PC to play from it when you want to as well as control any Auto-Conversion settings (Gold feature).
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Lowlander

Thank you.

I think I have it. Basically put MM on every PC. I am controlling all the MM’s from my main PC.

But what are the settings for the Main PC and the other PC’s.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if I really understand all this Upnp and DLNA.

From what I understand I have MM4 on my main PC and put MM4 on (basically) any PC I want to use as …. not sure what this other PC is called…Other PC with MM on it.

I do not know what setting, so I have left everything alone.

I have not moved the music to another location as it remains attached to my main PC – I think this is NOT right???

I play some music and I should be able to play to another PC – is this casting/serving?? But the only players I see are the internal player and the TV.

Is this what I should see?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No need to move media files.

In the client MediaMonkey's did you enable
Lowlander wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 pm If you want to play to (instead of play from) the other PC make sure you have accept input/control of MediaMonkey Player via UPnP/DLNA enabled under Tools > Options > Player on the MediaMonkey install you want to play to.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Lowlander,

Thank you.

I can see the other MM4 on the spare PC as “Media Monkey Player”. Looking good.

But when I play the music, the tracks goes grey from top to bottom and no sound. I have run the setup/test in Windows 10 Sound, and I hear sound, but nothing from MM4.

(I put it all back to default on my Workstation and I get music).

Any suggestions. Anyone
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Play the files on the local MM, do they play that way?

Related: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... s-to-play/