Shuffle at the MM server level

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

eitanc

Shuffle at the MM server level

Post by eitanc »

Hi,

I use the MM media share server feature and it works great.
I use it with a hardware device of "Internet Radio", that support playing the songs using "Shuffle", but if I try to use it - I get a message that my list of songs has too many files so the device cannot shuffle the play.

I, of course, wish to shuffle the play - so, is there a way to make the MM server to send to the client a random/shuffled song when the client ask for the "First" and "Next" song?
So the client will "think" it is playing by order but actually it will shuffle since the server will send a random file.
Lowlander

Re: Shuffle at the MM server level

Post by Lowlander »

No, but..

MediaMonkey can only send a file list, it's up to the client to use this filelist (unless you set the MediaMonkey Player to use the device at which point MediaMonkey controls playback). However you can do 2 things:
1) Use AutoPlaylists and limit the amount of files it contains, so client can do its thing
2) Use AutoPlaylists and use Random sorting, so the list is presented pre-shuffled to the client
eitanc

Post by eitanc »

Thanks, so what about MM act as broadcasting server, like Shoutcast or icecast, to the client, which will only connect to the server's URL and MM will manage the list, shuffle and play-to-the-station?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 can stream to multiple DLNA and/or Chromecast clients. In my experience the timing between clients will always be an issue with DLNA, however with Chromecast this seems to work much better. You may also be able to DLNA stream to a client and use their proprietary tech to connect multiple clients from the one device streaming (at which point the manufacture proprietary tech takes care of timings).
eitanc

Post by eitanc »

I think you missed my question. In DLNA the client get a list of multimedia files from the server and then asks for one each time.
I speak about radio station style (again, shoutcast style) - the client connects to a URL and the server constantly sends to the client a stream of audio, as with a content decided by the server.
Can MM act as such server?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's what I answered. Right click on the Player in MediaMonkey and you can select a DLNA client to play to. At that point MediaMonkey's Player controls playback.

In MediaMonkey 5 (using Cast button on Player) you can also cast to Chromecast devices besides DLNA clients and you can also cast to Chromecast groups and multi-zone
eitanc

Post by eitanc »

But I don't find MM 5 to download, only 4, so I cannot test your suggestion
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's here while in testing (and you can install it as a Portable Install to test separate from your MediaMonkey 4 install): https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
eitanc

Post by eitanc »

Thanks, but I prefer not to use beta apps. Any ETA for the official release?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No ETA, but it's nearing release (ie. very stable). In MediaMonkey 4 you can still stream to 1 DLNA client, right click on Player to choose a DLNA client as player.