Stream Media Monkey to Amazon Fire TV

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jtwographics

Stream Media Monkey to Amazon Fire TV

Post by jtwographics »

I am trying to connect my Media Monkey to my Amazon Fire TV. I tried Plex and it works but Plex's user interface is terrible. By terrible I just mean very simplistic and limited. I'd like to just be able to start Media Monkey on my Windows computer and do a shuffle play by genre and stream that over my come network to the Fire TV. I've read the articles on UpnP and DLNA but they don't give specific enough information.

Any advice would be great appreciated.
Lee
Lowlander

Re: Stream Media Monkey to Amazon Fire TV

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey only supports DLNA. Although DLNA is broadly supported it often isn't supported on more proprietary solutions. You'll have to see if Amazon Fire TV supports this natively or that it can be added through an App. For Roku for example there are DLNA capable Apps (even one from Roku itself), but the device can't do it itself nor can you push content to the DLNA Apps.
jtwographics

Post by jtwographics »

It does support DNLA. I downloaded VLC Media Player and was able to connect to Media Monkey and access all the files in the library, but VLC doesn't have a player interface. I had to navigate through he folder structure and play each file one by one.

One of the articles in the support area says that Media Monkey can cast audio to a DLNA device but you have to choose a renderer. the documentation gives not further explanation and the setup is not intuitive.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is very simple Right click on MMW Player -> Select Player and select renderer
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jtwographics

Post by jtwographics »

I know where the Choose Player and Choose renderer settings are. When I choose UPnP/DNLA Renderer, the drop down below it to choose a renderer is blank. This is what I mean about the instructions not being clear. Would you mind explaining a little more what I need to install to make this work please?

Peke

Post by Peke »

Settings for Renderer are located at Tools -> Options -> Player -> Choose Player

If there is detected number of renderer they will show there. If Not maybe you can't access them from MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jtwographics

Post by jtwographics »

I'm sorry but I just don't understand what it is about my question that no one will answer.

When I goto the Amazon app store there are HUNDREDS of media players listed. All are in the range of 3-8 dollars. But I don't want to buy and download 2,3 or 20 to figure out which is the one that I need to make this work. What features in a renderer am I looking for? For it to show up in Media Monkeys Choose Renderer filed, it has to be installed on my computer somwehere not just he Fire TV box correct?

An example of what 3rd party renderer to choose and or what features it needs to have, and how to install it is what I am looking for. Not some reference to where the setting is in Media Monkey. If you don't know that answer, thats fine, just say so or don't reply. But so far I have had 3 responses that have not addressed my original post. I'm really trying very hard not to be rude, but I keep getting answers that don't help, and the people responding don't seem to understand what I am asking for.

Is there a media player app that anyone can recommend for the FireTV to connect to Media Monkey with? Can anyone offer details of what they did to make the two connect?

Thanks,
Lee Johnson
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can only stream to DLNA/UPnP clients. Thus you need your device to be capable of this.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ervers/4.0
NoPlayBack

Post by NoPlayBack »

That's confusing... i am trying to connect the MediaMonkey Media to my FireTV, with only a little bit success, i see this thread from 2016 but no other information, is this so seldom?

What i was able to do so far is to use a connection in the network between MediaMonkey on Windows 10 and VLC Media player on the fire tv stick. But the connection is definitely not stable, most times i simply cannot see the MediaMonkey-files within VLC. The chance that it works is less then 50%.
But when it works i can see music and videos and i can play them without any issue. But the interface of VLC is very poor.
MediaMonkey App on FireTV does not work, seems to be incompatible with that FireTV Version.

Is there any recommendation for what i have to do or which app could be used on the FireTV in order to get things running more stable and with a nicer interface?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I remember BubbleUPnP being popular on Android, maybe it also exists for FireTV.