NAS & Client Configurations

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Spartacus

NAS & Client Configurations

Post by Spartacus »

Howdy, all.

Hoping someone can hit me with a few pointers on how I might be able to accomplish this use case.

The goal is to stream my FLAC audio files from my Qnap NAS to a RasperryPi/DAC client attached to a modestly high-end audio system for the analog output. I'm running a (vintage) Macintosh C28 preamp, so there is no HDMI or Toslink inputs - everything is RCA.

My thinking was that I could use my phone and the Android MediaMonkey client to 'remote control' the Raspberry Pi client which would access the files directly from the server. However, I would much rather have the DB reside on the NAS so there is a central repository of play lists, tags, album art, and can be included in my backups. In other words, if the DB resides on the NAS and the Pi is running constantly tasked exclusively as the DLNA server, that'd be fine.

Unfortunately, there is no native MM client for the Qnap TS series, so my choices are:
1) Install MediaMonkey in a Windows VM running on the NAS
2) Install MediaMonkey on my PC, move the DB to the server, and then... ?

So, is it possible? Will it work? Alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Re: NAS & Client Configurations

Post by Lowlander »

The simplest would be using the NASs own DLNA server. Then either use the Rasperry directly as client (if you have a screen) or use any App that can act as controller between the NAS DLNA server and the Raspberry DLNA client. MMA should be able to do so.
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Lowlander wrote:The simplest would be using the NASs own DLNA server. Then either use the Rasperry directly as client (if you have a screen) or use any App that can act as controller between the NAS DLNA server and the Raspberry DLNA client. MMA should be able to do so.
Since I'm new to DLNA, I might be under a mistaken impression, but how would that work out if I were to use, say, Emby? I didn't care for how Emby and Kodi presented album/track/playlist data, which is why I was inclining to MM as a client 'pulling' the data from its own DB which would reside on the NAS.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It generally is up to the client to decide how to display received data from the server. MediaMonkey server is Windows only and it doesn't matter where the database is located for this (local to install is best).