DLNA skipping end of (only some) tracks

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

accab

DLNA skipping end of (only some) tracks

Post by accab »

I have an intermittent and hugely frustrating problem when streaming from MMW 4.1.6.1736 to a raspberry pi over a wifi link.

Quite often, but not predictably, the playback will cut out about 3/4 the way through a track and skip immediately to the next one.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the track itself: if I play back the track that skipped from the middle it runs through to the end without trouble. But it won't play all the way through as part of a playlist and played from the beginning.

So I can't narrow the problem down to particular tracks. It doesn't happen when I play through the internal player. It doesn't happen when controlling the pi from a laptop in the same room, using airplay. It hasn't happened when using Bubble UpnP over the same setup. It hasn't happened when using WMP over the same setup. It seems to be something specific to Mediamonkey outputting to a DLNA receiver over a wifi link.

I do not have this problem if I run the same playlist through WMP but since I play a lot of classical music, Window Media Player is useless to me as a way of organising and finding music. I have a lifetime licence from one of the very earliest versions of MM, and haven't ever come across this problem or anything like it before.

Can anyone help?
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Peke

Re: DLNA skipping end of (only some) tracks

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
accab

Post by accab »

The link you gave me is to MMA builds, though, and I am using MMW, as my post said. I'll see if I can find a later MMW beta than I have.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

AlanS

Post by AlanS »

I'm seeing the same problem as @accab reports. I installed the latest 4.1.8 RC found at the link you posted (4.1.8.1750), but still exactly the same behavior.
Unlike @accab however I get the problem in several specific MP3 and FLAC files seemingly independent of playlists etc. I can post one or two of them to Dropbox if that would be helpful.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I'm having the same issue. It's happened on two different systems now. I'm using my desktop PC as the machine running the MediaMonkey library, and a little media PC running MediaMonkey as a DLNA client. Some songs play all the way thru just fine, others seem to skip at random points during playback. A song that skips one time will play thru all the way on another pass.

I'd blame this on timeouts, since I'm streaming from a NAS, but sometimes the skips happen right at the start of a song, and supposedly the timeout on the NAS is pretty long. The little media PC is wired in over gigabit Ethernet and has no trouble accessing - and even rapidly downloading - entire songs from the NAS drive.

I checked firewall logs on both systems but don't see any traffic between them being identified and blocked.

This feels like some kind of handshake or timeout issue with the DLNA receiver function in MediaMonkey, like the client side isn't being patient enough with the server and then signaling a failure back to the server, which skips to the next track.

Server side doesn't have this problem when playing files on the desktop itself from the NAS-hosted music files. They play just fine for hours with no issues.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version(s) of MediaMonkey are you using?
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

4.1.28.1905. But I've had the exact same problem with earlier versions when I tried to use the older laptop for this. I blamed the laptop, but obviously that's not the case.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can try with MediaMonkey 4.1.30: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =8811&sd=d

However if you want to troubleshoot you should do so with MediaMonkey 5 (can be installed as a Portable Install next to your MediaMonkey 4 install) as MediaMonkey 4 may not get this type of fixes anymore: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d

Capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643

To be clear are you having problems with a DLNA client skipping files when play files from MediaMonkey or is the DLNA client in MediaMonkey skipping files from the NAS's DLNA Server?
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I'm using MediaMonkey as both the client and the server. I've turned off the DLNA server on the NAS.
vonchang

Post by vonchang »

I have been having this issue for over 12 months now. Just to clarify if I have the same issue and I'm not posting in the wrong thread:
I am running Volumio on a Pi which I use to control play.
Mediamonkey5 (5.0.0.283)is located on a network connected pc (connected via ethernet/router)
Music is located on a NAS (connected via ethernet/router)

When I play tracks, I would say that a third of the tracks playing cut off before the end of the track and start playing the next.

I have tried other applications, and don't have this issue, but want to continue MM as I'm a very long time user and nothing else comes close management wise.

What can I do to help debug? (Please easy directions as I'm a dummy)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, a debug log (step 4b) would be really helpful to analyze why this is happening in your setup: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643
vonchang

Post by vonchang »

Ok, I have the log file, where do I send it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Attach it to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/
vonchang

Post by vonchang »

I have tried logging as a ticket, and get a message file type is not allowed?

It is a txt file and 700kb