Idiot needs help with TERMINOLOGY

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

foxint

Idiot needs help with TERMINOLOGY

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys,

I have to say I really like Media Monkey, MM4 is my favourite not so much MM5

Your help and knowledge is unbelievably valuable. I would like to ask for help

I tried the Up2Stream it did not work on MM4 but it worked on MM5. Briefly MM5 can play to Up2Stream and with the appropriate add-on the board receive the Wi-Fi signal and convert it with on-board DAC, or send the digital signal to a (better) DAC and or Digital Audio Interface. I did not manage to get it to work with the Digital Audio Interface. But it worked with my DAC.

Long story short – it was 16bit 44.1kHz – so not what I would call High Res…

I ask for your assistance, with suggestions, and for the correct terminology.

I want to remain in the Windows environment – Linx/Pi is just too hard for me.

I would like to control the audio from my work PC as I do spend too much time in the office. So that means Media Monkey, that I have proved can work with Up2stream that I do not want to use.

I would like to send the audio (MM can send internal player, Up2Stream – whatever we call this…what do we call this device – TV and other devices that I do not know the terms for.

The end device can be an old PC - I am sure we all have old PC's...I have a few that are not that Old....an X99 PC is one of the candidates.
Can you help with the terminology?

Send digital audio via ethernet or wi-fi (I am not a fan of Bluetooth) to a device (whatever it is called), it receives the digital information and sends this to my DAC or Digital Audio Interface.

I am sure there is a solution, but I am too silly to know all the terms.

Thank you.

Dan
Orange AU
Peke

Re: Idiot needs help with TERMINOLOGY

Post by Peke »

Hi,
:) Nice read, here is your definite solution for all your problems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=virtual+audio+cable

Hope it will give you enough to put your mind of other stressful things.

I tested that long time ago and it worked.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 can steam using DLNA to any DLNA capable client. Many stereo/AV receivers can do this.

MediaMonke5 can stream using DLNA or Chromecast to a DLNA or Chromecast capable client. Unfortunately Google discontinued the Chromecast Audio which was a cheap and easy way to make any device accepting 3.5"/RCA input Chromecast capable for cheap.

MediaMonkey 4/5 can be the client. So you can install MediaMonkey on any old PC and have it act as the client from any Server.

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ervers/5.0

I'd personally start with what you want to listen to and then see if a DLNA/Chromecast capable variant exists. So if its a Stereo Receiver look for a DLNA/Chromecast capable version, hook it up to your speakers and cast from MediaMonkey to it.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Mate… looks awfully confusing.

So, I can use these virtual cables to connect PC-Workstation to PC-spare and somehow, we can get digital output (avoiding the noisy PC-Spare) to my DAC?

??

D.
PS missed Lowlanders reply - sorry

PPS...Lowlander - Thank you - that confuses me. I am at PC-Workstation and PC-Spare is in the corner near the DAC. So I am not sure how I control PC-Spare if it is not through something like Tight VNC. I spend far too much time in front of PC-Workstation and I would like to control it from there (PC-Workstation)...I can send music using PC-Workstation to the less than Hi-Res Up2Stream and also movies to the TV in the next room.

Is PC-Spare a Server or is PC-Work the Server...these terms get me all confused.

How does the sound get out of the PC-Spare near the DAC?

So very confused
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I know VAC sounds confusing here is step by step guide how to set it up, there is overhead as you only need to setup input stream and Output Stream+ Hardware output for Local sound and you should be ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5n5SS6smg

And from What I see you only need to setup two points: https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm
Best regards,
Peke
foxint

Post by foxint »

Thank You.

I am moving the PC-Spare...

But...I know I keep asking...how do I physically get the digital signal from PC-Spare?

Yes I must be a dummy from the bush. But I like plugging in things

D
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Watch the last video, but unfortunately instead of plugging you will need to click :)
Best regards,
Peke
foxint

Post by foxint »

Thank you.

I was s delayed. PC 1 was dead; PC 2 refused to boot up; now on PC3.

I will look at both solutions.

Thanks guys.

At least this PC has a wi-fi card
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Lowlander.

I have read the Sharing/Casting you MM Library. (With limited understanding as I have never seen or read about DNLA- things)

So the device needs something to make it DNLA capable.

Initially I have these questions:

1. What do I need to put on PC-Spare that will (eventually) be in the Audio Rack. I would like to send music to the DAC that sits in the rack.
2. Who what do I need in the Box?
3. What makes a device DNLA capable – the TV is showing up as is the Up2Stream (on MM5, but not on MM4)
4. It goes on to say “on the client tab” where is the client tab?

I am assuming I can do this on both MM4 and MM5. I like MM4.

MM4 has an IP Address that I have not idea what or where it is.

I have no idea what I need to ask as I do not know what I do not know

D
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Peke,

Virtual cable and Vban, seem good. But I am not sure how they relate to me. It looks complex and I really do not know what I need to do.

I am keeping it short and I have no idea.

I am still stumped how the sound actually gets out of the PC-Spare Box

Do I need to make my PC-Spare (the one next to the DAC in the rack), a DNLA Receiver or Server. My thinking is Receiever...but a Receiver is rarely spoken of... so I am totally confused

D
Peke

Post by Peke »

foxint wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 pm Virtual cable and Vban, seem good. But I am not sure how they relate to me. It looks complex and I really do not know what I need to do.
One Vban sends like sound card to speakers an audio stream packets to LAN that receiver can fetch and send out to its sound card output like music is played locally on that pc. In your case that would be Spare PC next to dac. and it would function as receiver only, think it could be set to do that automatically without monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Best regards,
Peke
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys,

Thank you

OK I am thick. This whole issue has confused and confounded me. I have found that a Media Streamer, Media Renderer and today a Media Player are all used interchangeably and in the case of Linn and Bricasti M5 Network player can cost far more than car I am driving.

I have flac files on an HDD. I have Media Monkey – that I love.

MM plays the music, sending it down a USB cable to a Digital Audio Interface. (Or as I have found can cast/play/send to a DLNA empowered device (TV, Up2Streamer Pro V3)

The Digital Audio interface has lots of outputs (SPDIF, AES, Toshlink, I2S) this is connected to a DAC. DAC converts the digital to analogue and puts it into my amp. All quite simple.

This is what I think I want…. I am told that the PC makes a mess of the music. I am told USB is not the best way. The professional audio people are sending all their digital music via ethernet. The say ethernet is good, Wi-fi is not so good, but USB is bad.

I have lots of windows PC’s ethernet switches, hubs. But I hate the Raspberry Pi and the smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) I use to make phone calls.

Please make it simple for me, I am a dummy from the bush in Au.

1. How hard is it to get the digital music out of the PC without the PC changing it?
2. How do we send it down an ethernet cable? (We could say Wi-Fi but let us stay with wires – I am an idiot remember).
3. What happens at the end of the ethernet cable?
4. Do I connect this to my PC-Spare or something magical that has many names?
5. How do I make my PC-Spare DLNA empowered or endowed? If this is what is needed.
6. Something connects to my Digital Audio Interface as neither the Digital Audio Interface nor my DAC has an ethernet (RJ-45) socket.

It must be super hard as I have spent far too long and getting far too confused.

I bought a device called a Up2Streamer Pro V3, that seems to look (well the boards do) the same as a lot of things called different things that takes the digital (wi-fi and ethernet) and makes it playable. They can be expensive, or in the case of the Up2Streamer, have a crappy DAC and average amp and send the digital signal out at 16bit-441.kHz.

Is there a simple and cheap solution? I did get my spare PC working. Unfortunately, the one I wanted to use (it is good) just wanted to cycle on and off.

(PS - I do like Peke's suggestions, but I do not understand, nor do I understand how they will be enacted).
ajdbarros

Post by ajdbarros »

I have been asking myself similar similar questions. I have a setup that is a sound processor connected to power amp and speakers. The source is a MM5 on a PC sharing media (FLAC files) to an Android phone running MMA. Questions are

1. MM5 PC to MMA - the signal goes as the unmodified digital FLAC?

2. If I connect an external sound board to the USB output of the phone and connect the SPDIF out to the sound processor, is the signal going to the processor still the unmodified digital FLAC?

Thanks a lot! I have been using MM for many years and there isn't still anything like it.

Aluisio
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Depends on the Auto-Conversion settings: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... .28DLNA.29 If MediaMonkey isn't set to Auto-Convert the FLAC file will be send as-is to the client.

2) Depends on what processing your phone does to get audio to USB. Presumably no processing (unlike Bluetooth), but I don't know.