Script to save Now Playing list in a new playlist?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

pokeefe0001

Script to save Now Playing list in a new playlist?

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Is there an existing script, or a set of scripts that can be cannibalized, that will save the Now Playing list to a new playlist?

I know it can be done manually, and it usually is done in our setting, but we need a more foolproof method. The best solution would be something automatically invoked at MM shutdown. We would want the playlist name to be automatically generated based on date.

Be forewarned that I don't know much about the internal structure of MM, don't know VBS at all, and (until a couple weeks ago) have done no object-oriented programming. There's a steep learning curve here and I'm the designated victim, Expect more questions.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
Peke

Re: Script to save Now Playing list in a new playlist?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No need for addon.

Select all track in Now playing -> Right click on one -> Send to -> Playlist -> Create New Playlist.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Peke wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:02 pm Hi,
No need for addon.

Select all track in Now playing -> Right click on one -> Send to -> Playlist -> Create New Playlist.
I know it can be done manually. I want a way that can be automated - hence, a script.

BTW, somehow this thread landed in the MMW5 forum, but I'm using MMW4.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Maybe I am not regular user, but I do not see the point to save new playlist on each playlist change.

In MM5 I see that you can easily add new hotkey to create playlist that opens left of Now Playing and you can easily Drag and drop Selection. Not perfect, but better than in MM4.

Sure, script can be made, but as MM5 is out I really doubt that someone will make script for MM4 as in MM5 things are even easier because we use more common Java Script.

Anyway, I would like to see it made someday, so I added this for future MM versions. https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18155
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Peke wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:13 pm Hi,
Maybe I am not regular user, but I do not see the point to save new playlist on each playlist change.
Sure, script can be made, but as MM5 is out I really doubt that someone will make script for MM4 as in MM5 things are even easier because we use more common Java Script.
I don't want a playlist created on each playlist change; I want it created on MM shutdown. (I don't know if that is possible.) I'll settle for a script that can be mindlessly invoked that does not prompt for information. Yes, I know that doing this saving function manually is trivial, but it still is beyond some of our users.

The script would need to
  • Check for the existence of this year as a "folder" in the list of playlists and create it if it doesn't exist.
  • Select that folder as the destination of the playlist to be created.
  • Save the playlist with a name based on the date.
In any case, I'm not asking to have such a script written. I was asking if it already exists and I assume the answer is "No".

Now I'll start asking for the names of scripts I can cannibalize to create my own. I've never done object-oriented programming so this will be a challenge, but the language is not going to be the stumbling block. Its would be no easier for me in JavaScript than in VBS. I'm betting there is an object that is the Now Playing list (SDB.CurrentSongList?) and there is probably a new playlist object so it probably won't be too hard.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 already saves the Now Playing as mediamonkey.m3u8 on shutdown (in MediaMonkey 5 it's updated as changes are made). You can find it where the ini is saved: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 pm MediaMonkey 4 already saves the Now Playing as mediamonkey.m3u8 on shutdown (in MediaMonkey 5 it's updated as changes are made). You can find it where the ini is saved: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
Ah. I wondered what that was. Up until, well, about now, our group has been running MM 2.5. I'm bringing us up to MM 4.1 and am still learning.

However, what I'm interested in is a playlist in the MM database rather than an external m3u file. Is there any way to copy an m3u file into an MM internal playlist? I know giving the mu3 file to MM gets it into the Now Playing list, but that gets me back where I started.

The fact that "playlist" has two different meanings (or maybe two different implementations) in MediaMonkey can be confusing. (Having "now playing" being both a list and a single track is also confusing.)
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Whoa, MediaMonkey 2.5, that's really old! I'm impressed that you hadn't felt the need to update until now. πŸ™‚
MediaMonkey 5 is a huge upgrade even from 4.1, I'd recommend switching.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

drakinite wrote: ↑Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:40 pm Whoa, MediaMonkey 2.5, that's really old! I'm impressed that you hadn't felt the need to update until now. πŸ™‚
MediaMonkey 5 is a huge upgrade even from 4.1, I'd recommend switching.
The person maintaining our multiple cloned systems had a bunch of utilities (outside of MM) that did stuff with the old Access database. And these systems were/are running on old donated Win7 laptops. But that person - in his 80s - is trying to distance himself from the maintenance duties, and I wanted to donate an old (but not that old) Win10 laptop, so changes were needed.

"Huge upgrade" is not our friend. There is nothing we need beyond what MM 2.5 provided, and we need minimal change in MM's look and feel. We have non-technical volunteers running MM. They have no interest in MM other than to get music out of it.

I have more technical knowledge and interest than most of the people in our group - a Balkan folkdance group - but have no experience with object-oriented programming. I know neither VBS or JavaScript so MM 5 will be no easier for me to program for than MM 4. The most important thing is for me to break nothing while I'm learning.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

pokeefe0001 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:38 pm
Lowlander wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 pm MediaMonkey 4 already saves the Now Playing as mediamonkey.m3u8 on shutdown (in MediaMonkey 5 it's updated as changes are made). You can find it where the ini is saved: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/
Ah. I wondered what that was. Up until, well, about now, our group has been running MM 2.5. I'm bringing us up to MM 4.1 and am still learning.

However, what I'm interested in is a playlist in the MM database rather than an external m3u file. Is there any way to copy an m3u file into an MM internal playlist? I know giving the mu3 file to MM gets it into the Now Playing list, but that gets me back where I started.

The fact that "playlist" has two different meanings (or maybe two different implementations) in MediaMonkey can be confusing. (Having "now playing" being both a list and a single track is also confusing.)
Did you ever get something workable? I would love this too.
pokeefe0001

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I gave up trying to find an automatic solution after my last post on this thread - mid 2021. We made manually creating the playlist a step in shutting down after our weekly dance. If there's a "Run on shutdown" feature for invoking VBS scripts in MM then this could possibly be implemented, but that's beyond my expertise.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2