Auto Rating of Songs & Radio Announcer v5.02 [Script]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

MeMeMe

Question about Skipping

Post by MeMeMe »

Here's a question to be sure I understand how the rating works.
Let's say I have it set so that if a song is played 7+ times in the period, it gets rated 5 stars.
This song has currently been played 7 times. The next time I hear it, I skip it, so its rating drops to 4.5. Then I skip it again, and its rating drops to 4. Then I play it again, and don't skip it. It has now been played 10 times in the period, so its rating jumps back up to 5.
Is this how it would work?

(Note: I'm not looking for a problem here - I think this is how I want it to work.)

An only slightly related problem:
I've noticed that if you skip a song early enough, MM does not increment the played rating.
Try this by playing a song up to about a third of the way through, and then skip - the Played number will stay the same.
I can understand why this works. Does the script take these partial plays into account when calculating ratings?
Edited to add: Oops - this isn't a problem. I don't know what I was thinking - if you're skipping you probably don't want these plays to count!
DiddeLeeDoo

Re: Question about Skipping

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

MeMeMe wrote:the period, so its rating jumps back up to 5.
Is this how it would work?
This is why I set the defaults to a short period of time, so this would not happen too often. It's a choice thing really. Long period of time, this can happen, short period of time, this is not very likely to happen.
Added: If you happen to skip a 5 Star song, you must like it a hell of a lot anyway, so this up and down stuff may not be so bad in that period you set

It appears that MM believe a song is played only 30 percent into the song, which I find a bit strange, but anyways, I guess there's a reason.

First I believed MM considered a song to be played when it was played, but after discovering this 30% thing from Pablo, I had to redesign that PlayedPercent thingy.
MeMeMe

Re: Question about Skipping

Post by MeMeMe »

DiddeLeeDoo wrote: Added: If you happen to skip a 5 Star song, you must like it a hell of a lot anyway, so this up and down stuff may not be so bad in that period you set
Yes, that's my current thinking.
First I believed MM considered a song to be played when it was played, but after discovering this 30% thing from Pablo, I had to redesign that PlayedPercent thingy.
So it's 30% - thanks for that, I couldn't figure out exactly what the percent was.
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

Another thing I've noticed is that if you pause a song, go away for a while, and come back, MM counts the time paused as part of the song. For example, if you play a song, pause it after 3 seconds, and come back a few minutes later, you'll find the Played number has gone up.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the autorating script, but thought I'd mention it in case you didn't know.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I didn't know that. I find it a bit strange MM works like that. I have no idea why MM do this.

The script operate in real time, so if paused, it will snip a bit off the PlayedPercent time.

Added: From memory I cannot recall seeing an option to use CurrentSongPosition. Maybe it's there.. Will check that later.
MeMeMe

A new problem

Post by MeMeMe »

I've just noticed that the autoplay script isn't assigning song ratings above 3 stars. I've removed my customised version, and I'm using the standard version and this is still true.
I've played a song over ten times now (with other songs between them), and the rating won't go above 3.

I'm using the Tweakmonkey script page in case that has anything to do with it, but the behaviour persists after removing that script so it probably doesn't.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Teknojnky posted a modified version of AutoRateSongs.vbs that should go with TweakMonkey.vbs. You'll find it going back a bit in this thread.

I haven't had time to test this tweaked version, as I still have focus on other things.

What I would suggest for that 'stubborn' song, is to use that ID3v2 tag clean/syncronize function you have under Tools - Advanced Tag Management. Could be a damaged ID3v2 tag, that needs to be re-done, or it might be a wma file that suppose to be a bit stubborn. Think that have been fixed in the latest Beta...

I believe that should 'kick life into' that stubborn song...
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

monkey runs from the clock you may pause the song and the player's clock but monkeys clock runs on the system clock so it runs the time for the percent played and adds the count.

it is a way of taking in consideration that you may have paused it to go and do something important but will continue playing it when you get back.

if you close monkey instead of contiune playing the song you will have the one count that way as you wanted the song to be heard but had other pressing matters so it should count as one play.

if you just close monkey while it is playing the song as long as the percent limit is reached it adds the count too.

same if you stop the song after the percent limit has been reached.

it goes by the percent limit as long as that time limit has been reached the play count goes up.

mememe

i set my songs at rating counts that would make your head spin.

<10 play =0
10<20 play = 0.5
20 play = 1
20<40 play = 1.5
40 play = 2 stars (you tolerate it)
40 <60 plays =2.5
60 plays = 3 stars (you like it)
60 <150 plays = 3.5 stars (really nice)
150 plays = 4 stars (love it!)
150 < 200 plays = 4.5
200 plays or more = 5 stars (wow!)

that how i set mine

of course that is for over a week of 24 / 7 playing.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

The tag clean didn't work - but it wasn't just one song anyway. I tried it on a few.
I'll look for that modified script.
And rovingcowboy, yes my head is spinning...
(Can you listen to a song 150 times in one week??? Now, that's love.)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i checked the code it is or seems to be working for me.

is there something that is in another script that could be messing with your count?

:o

that count system will work for a long time and give me a more correct reading over the longer time span and it will take a long time for the songs to reach that high of count.

of course as soon as it is figured out how to reset the playcount automatic on one day a week i can then cut the counts down as they wont reach more then what the defaut limits are as my playlists run for 1 or 2 hours at a time and there is 15 hours or more of muisc for each playlist to pick from in random order. some times i don't hear the same song over on a playlist for 3 weeks or longer. :lol:
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

The error was something to do with technojunky's script.
Once I replaced it with your unmodified one, the ratings worked fine. (I have a few 15 second 'tracks' which are useful for testing this!)

edit: crossposted with rovingcowboy - I don't know, maybe another script is involved, but it's working now.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I find that quite increadable. Personally those low numbers are quite suitable. May consider using that 7 day model in the script though, when the dust have settled.

AutoDJ is currently set to play anything I haven't played before, and it's fun to classify these as either 2 or 3.... (please do not play again, and play again sometime)

In half a year, when I've heard them all, I can go up a step, and do another level of ratings.. I'm not rushed... .

If you only play a limited set of songs normally, the ratings will be done pretty quickly.

Hope to get that 'Catch-up' script happening soonish though. Would be cool to see the collection get rated with a click... based on historical plays.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

MeMeMe wrote:The error was something to do with technojunky's script.
Once I replaced it with your unmodified one, the ratings worked fine. (I have a few 15 second 'tracks' which are useful for testing this!)

edit: crossposted with rovingcowboy - I don't know, maybe another script is involved, but it's working now.
umm will look at that again it must be in the way it goes to the ini file?

i thought that was a good script idea? but if it is not working then i will put the xp computer back on the normal one. and take the rating for tweak monkey out.

yepp the history rating way will be very good to do as it is what looks like the most correct count for the songs.

but you need to make some money first this week. 8) :lol:
MeMeMe

Post by MeMeMe »

I tend to play a fairly large subset of my songs, and cycle through them on a monthly basis - which is why I'm drawn to the 30 day period.
I'm still figuring out how many plays I want to give each star rating, but I doubt I'll go much above 10 plays for 5 stars.

That catch up script sounds good, though my library is pretty new (having recently swapped computers), so I wouldn't get much use out of it - still a good idea though.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

MeMeMe wrote:I tend to play a fairly large subset of my songs, and cycle through them on a monthly basis - which is why I'm drawn to the 30 day period.
I'm still figuring out how many plays I want to give each star rating, but I doubt I'll go much above 10 plays for 5 stars.

That catch up script sounds good, though my library is pretty new (having recently swapped computers), so I wouldn't get much use out of it - still a good idea though.
i use the 7 days cause i want to keep a weekly top of the charts playlist.

so only the highest count with the highest rating will be in that playlist.

only the play counter needs to be reset every week for that and the ratings need to be the same all the time. so the catch up script is better for me. i can combine it with the playlist that way. and since i been playing my songs for 2 years 24 / 7 then they all have a high history playcount so i might come to think of it make those numbers even higher since it would run on the history playcounts.

i might add a zero to each of those numbers. i think making them read in the hundreds and thousands would in effect make the history play count rating last for about 5 years before i get them all in the thousands for the history play counts

8)