freedbSubmitter 2.6 [Updated 2021/07/06]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Peke

Re: freedbSubmitter Update

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for update, approved.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Tippon

Re: freedbSubmitter 1.01

Post by Tippon »

sallygr wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 pm I just installed this add on, but can't get to work. I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

When I try to run it, I get
Error #-2147024894 - File: "C:\Users\username]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs", Line: 7, Column: 1

I deliberately left my user name off of the above, but it is correct in the message.

Thanks!
I was getting the same error on Windows 10, then updated Freedb Submitter to the latest version (2.1 at the moment) and the error changed to line 10, column: 1 with a second error message saying "Error happened during script execution: The system cannot find the file specified"

I've checked and freedbsubmitter.hta exists and seems to be in the right place. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both ways and still get the error.

Thanks for any help :)
gbilley

Re: freedbSubmitter 2.1

Post by gbilley »

Thanks for reporting your issue, and sorry you encountered a problem.

Just to clarify, when you say you reinstalled both ways, did you mean the second way was a manual install and it also did not work?

If that's the case, I'm once again mystified and would like to get some additional information if I may.

If you feel comfortable digging into the code a bit, I'd like to suggest the following:
  • First launch MediaMonkey
  • Open the freedbSubmitter folder in File Explorer
  • RIGHT click freedbSubmitter.vbs (not freedbSubmitter.hta) and click Edit
  • In Notepad, add a new line after line 9
  • In the new line, add this code: msgbox SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath
  • Save the .vbs file in Notepad (you can leave Notepad open)
  • In File Explorer, double click freedbSubmitter.vbs to launch it
  • A message box will pop up indicating where the addon expects to find the .hta file
  • Press Control-C to copy the message
  • Send me the result (after redacting your username)
Hopefully, this will give me some clue as to what's going.

And if you don't feel comfortable monkeying with code :-), I totally understand. I'll keep thinking about other angles to investigate.

Fun fact: In File Explorer, and with MM still open, double click freedbSubmitter.hta (not .vbs). The addon should open and run normally. If it doesn't, then I've really messed something up.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.
roussel2nis

Post by roussel2nis »

Hi,

It seems that the script does not run correctly.

I saw in the script the line 'If objTree Is Nothing Or Left(objTree.Caption, 3) <> "CD:" Then', but in my location node, the CD is represented with its system letter (e.g.: F:\[Name of the CD]) and not 'CD:').

Maybe due to a MM update ?

Could you check ? Thanks
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Greetings,

Thanks for reporting your issue.

Are you looking at the subnodes under the Music>Location node, not the top level CD node or My Computer>CD node? Those last two do indeed indicate the CD drive letter, but on all my systems, CDs under Music>Location all are prefixed by "CD:", while hard drives are prefixed by "HD:".

Could you send me a link to a screenshot (maybe on Google Drive or something similar) so I could a better idea of what's going on? I know that's a hassle, but it would be very helpful.

Thanks.
roussel

Post by roussel »

Here it is

<google drive url>/open?id=1D1qY8ipgYvHMr_x2yBol66jJJnBGpeUD
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

The link you sent isn't valid. I think you need to make it a shared link in Google Drive. It should look something like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-cMDVB ... sp=sharing

The link above shows my mm location node with an inset that shows the same CD in the CD node and My Computer node.
roussel

Post by roussel »

That's because this forum does not allow me to share google urls...

Simply replace <google drive url> by the google drive url prefix
roussel

Post by roussel »

But, ok I see the problem.

I needed to add the CD reader to the followed folders to be added to Music > Location... that's not trivial...

The script seems to work now. By the way, why not using the root node and parse [Audio CD] instead (as this is the default configuration) ?

Thanks !
roussel

Post by roussel »

But submission seems to not work anymore, probably because of the service shutting down. Do you know if MediaMonkey is going to integrate new MusicBrain integration (as in v5) in this v4 version as the v5 is very Beta ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5 is at the end of its beta cycle. It's unlikely that MediaMonkey 4 will see this updated, however you can look into using an alternative FreeDB server as the data has always been available for download to use locally.
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

"That's because this forum does not allow me to share google urls..."

The URL must be shared from your Google account on Google Drive. I don't think the forum disallows shared links as can be seen from the Google shared link I included in the message above.

"Simply replace <google drive url> by the google drive url prefix"

That's the first thing I tried, but it didn't work. It works for you because you're logged into Google and it's your account. It will only work for me if you share the file on Drive and make it accessible to anyone with the URL.
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

roussel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:37 am But, ok I see the problem.

I needed to add the CD reader to the followed folders to be added to Music > Location... that's not trivial...
It sounds like you might be trying to submit album metadata that's not linked to a physical CD that has been added to your library. Perhaps you're trying to submit a CD that has been ripped to a hard drive.

If that's the case, it's not possible. Freedb is a CD database, not a music or album database. Everything centers around the DiscID that freedb calculates from configuration of the physical CD.

The freedbSubmitter script needs to get the disc's DiscID and Table of Contents from the mm database. If there's no CD entry in the database, then it doesn't have all the info it needs to make a freedb submission.
roussel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:37 am The script seems to work now. By the way, why not using the root node and parse [Audio CD] instead (as this is the default configuration) ?
Sorry, but I'm not understanding the question. Could you clarify?

Thanks.
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

roussel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:07 am But submission seems to not work anymore, probably because of the service shutting down. Do you know if MediaMonkey is going to integrate new MusicBrain integration (as in v5) in this v4 version as the v5 is very Beta ?
I had no idea freedb was shutting down. That's a shocker! They may be in the process of winding down since I'm still able to tag CDs and freedbSubmitter revised submissions still work, as well as test submissions. (I can't try a new submission because I don't have any CDs that I haven't already submitted.)

Regarding MusicBrainz, Discogs Tagger offers excellent MB lookup functions:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=72637
gbilley

freedb Access

Post by gbilley »

I just noticed that freedb is now accessible at mb.mediamonkey.com but it appears the database is read-only -- no additions or revisions are permitted. Is that correct?

If so, should I remove the freedbSubmitter addon from the MediaMonkey site? Unless there are future plans to add write capabilities to the MediaMonkey-hosted freedb, the addon has no purpose.

Any and all input would be welcome.

Thanks.