freedbSubmitter 2.6 [Updated 2021/07/06]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gbilley

Re: freedb Access

Post by gbilley »

Just found the answer to my question:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... db#p470481

So is there any point to keeping freedbSubmitter on the site?

Thanks.
gbilley

freedbSubmitter 2.3 Update

Post by gbilley »

Now that gnudb.com is hosting a freedb database with read and write capabilities, I've reconfigured the freedbSubmitter addon to support gnudb.com. The update also includes a few minor improvements and bug fixes.

View more information about the freedbSubmitter 2.3 update at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85766.
gbilley

freedbSubmitter 2.5 Update

Post by gbilley »

The freedbSubmitter addon has been updated to version 2.5. The update fixes a TOC read problem caused by some changes introduced in version 2.4.

You can get more information about freedbSubmitter 2.5 at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85766.
Tippon

Re: freedbSubmitter 1.01

Post by Tippon »

gbilley wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:12 am
Tippon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:19 am
sallygr wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 pm I just installed this add on, but can't get to work. I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

When I try to run it, I get
Error #-2147024894 - File: "C:\Users\username]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs", Line: 7, Column: 1

I deliberately left my user name off of the above, but it is correct in the message.

Thanks!
I was getting the same error on Windows 10, then updated Freedb Submitter to the latest version (2.1 at the moment) and the error changed to line 10, column: 1 with a second error message saying "Error happened during script execution: The system cannot find the file specified"

I've checked and freedbsubmitter.hta exists and seems to be in the right place. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both ways and still get the error.

Thanks for any help :)
Thanks for reporting your issue, and sorry you encountered a problem.

Just to clarify, when you say you reinstalled both ways, did you mean the second way was a manual install and it also did not work?

If that's the case, I'm once again mystified and would like to get some additional information if I may.

If you feel comfortable digging into the code a bit, I'd like to suggest the following:
  • First launch MediaMonkey
  • Open the freedbSubmitter folder in File Explorer
  • RIGHT click freedbSubmitter.vbs (not freedbSubmitter.hta) and click Edit
  • In Notepad, add a new line after line 9
  • In the new line, add this code: msgbox SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath
  • Save the .vbs file in Notepad (you can leave Notepad open)
  • In File Explorer, double click freedbSubmitter.vbs to launch it
  • A message box will pop up indicating where the addon expects to find the .hta file
  • Press Control-C to copy the message
  • Send me the result (after redacting your username)
Hopefully, this will give me some clue as to what's going.

And if you don't feel comfortable monkeying with code :-), I totally understand. I'll keep thinking about other angles to investigate.

Fun fact: In File Explorer, and with MM still open, double click freedbSubmitter.hta (not .vbs). The addon should open and run normally. If it doesn't, then I've really messed something up.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks.
I'm really sorry, I didn't get a notification of your reply last time. I only had one or two CDs, so I didn't look into it any further at the time. I just came back to the forum because I'm having the same problem, and I found our original posts :oops:

I tried installing the script by double clicking it, and when it didn't work, I tried a manual installation. Both time I removed all traces of the script first and restarted MM after installing. I still get the original error message.

I added the line you said, and the path from the message box is 'C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\'

If I run the .hta file the script loads but asks me to select a CD in the location node, even though it's already selected. If I try running the .vbs file (with your extra line), I get the following error:

'---------------------------
Windows Script Host
---------------------------
Script: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs
Line: 10
Char: 1
Error: Object required: 'SDB'
Code: 800A01A8
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

OK
'

I'll keep this window open in case you reply over the next few days, so that I don't miss it this time :oops:

EDIT: This is all with the latest version of the script.
Tippon

Re: freedbSubmitter 2.5 [Updated 2021/01/25]

Post by Tippon »

This looks like it's a problem on my end.

I just tried to run a similar Monkey Brainz script and it failed with the same error. Your line and their line are below, in case it helps

'objShell.Run SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath, 1, False'

'objShell.Run SDB.ScriptsPath & appPath, 1, False'
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Apologies for my late response. This time, it was I who wasn't notified of your last post. It's a watched topic, and it used to work. But in the last year or so, the notification function hasn't been working for me.

Apologies too for still having problems with the script.

It sounds like you are running the addon from MM, but the error message suggest that MM is not open. I'm baffled by that. Also the response from the message box command was missing the .hta path, but the fact that it displayed the path to MM scripts indicates that the SDB object was available to the launching script and therefore "should" launch the .hta.

I know you've already spent a lot of time on this, but if you'd care to, send me the the text of the launchSubmitter and Install subroutines from the .vbs file.

Also please double check that you are using version 2.5. The error line number in the error message suggests you are not using a recent version. You can check the version number by opening the .hta file in a text editor. The version number and date are near the top. Here's the download link for version 2.5 if you need it:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/download/681/

BTW, I also wrote the MonkeyBrainz addon which also doesn't work for you. That suggests the problem may be a combination of some aspect of your system, and the way I launch external .hta and .exe apps. I'm guessing you do have MM addons that work correctly. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Tippon

Post by Tippon »

Sorry, my turn to reply slowly :oops: :lol:

I'm definitely running 2.5 and running it from MMW. Just to confirm, running it from MMW gives me the message box, and running it from outside MMW gives me the selec a CD error.

This is my .vbs file:

Code: Select all

' Launches freedbSubmitter.hta and provides install capabilities

Sub launchSubmitter
	Dim objShell, htaPath
	htaPath = "freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.hta"
	Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
	objShell.Run SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath, 1, False
	Set objShell = Nothing
End Sub
msgbox SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath

Sub Install
	Dim scriptName
	scriptName = "freedbSubmitter"

Dim iniPath : iniPath = SDB.ScriptsPath & "Scripts.ini"
	Dim iniFile : Set iniFile = SDB.Tools.iniFileByPath(iniPath)

If Not (iniFile Is Nothing) Then
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "Filename") = "freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs"
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "Procname") = "launchSubmitter"
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "Order") = "1"
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "DisplayName") = "freedbSubmitter"
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "Description") = "Submit new disc data to freedb or revise existing freedb data from MediaMonkey"
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "Language") = "VBScript"
		iniFile.StringValue(scriptName, "ScriptType") = "0"
		SDB.RefreshScriptItems
		Set iniFile = Nothing
	End If
End Sub

Sub Uninstall
	Dim iniSection
	iniSection = "freedbSubmitter"

Dim iniPath : iniPath = SDB.ScriptsPath & "Scripts.ini"
	Dim iniFile : Set iniFile = SDB.Tools.iniFileByPath(iniPath)

If Not (iniFile Is Nothing) Then
	  iniFile.DeleteSection(iniSection)
	  iniFile.Flush
	  SDB.RefreshScriptItems
	  Set iniFile = Nothing
	End If
End Sub
and this is the relevant section from my scripts.ini ( I added the MonkeyBrainz section in case that helps):

[freedbSubmitter]
Filename=freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs
Procname=launchSubmitter
Order=[the order number of your preference]
DisplayName=freedbSubmitter
Description=Submit disc metadata to freedb from MediaMonkey
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0

[MonkeyBrainz]
Filename=MonkeyBrainz\MonkeyBrainz.vbs
Procname=launchMonkeyBrainz
Order= 100 [or your preferred addon list order number]
DisplayName=MonkeyBrainz
Description=Submit album data to MusicBrainz
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0
I just tried moving the freedbSubmitter.vbs file to the scripts folder and updating the path in scripts.ini, as that's where some of my working scripts are, but that made no difference.

I've just deleted it and installed from your link, but I get the original error again - Error #-2147024894 - File: "C:\Users\username]\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs", Line: 7, Column: 1
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Thanks for all the additional info. It was indeed helpful.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the scripts.ini line that reads: Order=[the order number of your preference].

The text in that line should be a number. The installer creates the line as: Order=1. This config puts the addon at the top of the tools\scripts menu. If you'd like a different order, you can use whatever number you prefer.

Same goes for the MonkeyBrainz scripts.ini line: Order= 100 [or your preferred addon list order number].

The line should read: Order=100. Or the order number of your choice (but don't include the period).

Try making those two changes and let me know what happens.

Also, are you still on Windows 7 or have you moved on to Windows 10? Shouldn't make a difference, but might be good to know.

Thanks.
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

I did a test to see if an invalid order value would cause any of your problems. Turns out, it does not. MM seems to just ignore the invalid value. If we get this script working on your system, you still might want to provide valid values so you get the result you want.

I did modify the manual install instructions to be a bit more clear and hopefully prevent this issue.

Your last post said the error you receive is Error #-2147024894. That would indicate a missing file. If you're not worn out yet, here's a small script that will give me more info about your config:

dim fso, strOut, appData
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
appData = objShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%APPDATA%")
Set fso = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

strOut = "MM scripts.ini: " & fso.fileExists(appdata & "\mediamonkey\scripts\scripts.ini") & vbCr
strOut = strOut & "fdbs folder: " & fso.folderExists(appdata & "\mediamonkey\scripts\freedbsubmitter") & vbCr
strOut = strOut & "fdbs .hta file: " & fso.fileExists(appdata & "\mediamonkey\scripts\freedbsubmitter\freedbsubmitter.hta") & vbCr
strOut = strOut & "fdbs .vbs file: " & fso.fileExists(appdata & "\mediamonkey\scripts\freedbsubmitter\freedbsubmitter.vbs") & vbCr

msgbox strOut
Just copy the script and paste it into an empty text file. Name the file fdbsCheck.vbs. When you run the file, you'll see a dialog box with the script results. Press Ctrl-C to copy the dialog contents and send me the results. It will tell me if everything is where it should be. Here's what it looks like on my system:

MM scripts.ini: True
fdbs folder: True
fdbs .hta file: True
fdbs .vbs file: True

OK
Any false results would indicate a problem.

I also noticed that this line -- msgbox SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath -- should be inside the Sub launchSubmitter block -- not outside. It's giving an inaccurate result there. You put it where my instructions said to, but in the intervening months, the app version changed and so did the line count. I should have done it this way:

Sub launchSubmitter
	Dim objShell, htaPath
	objShell.Run SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath, 1, False
	Set objShell = Nothing
	msgbox SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath
End Sub
You might also try an unreleased update, version 2.6. Here's a download link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjhgeIYPVjLfiTE1Kyw ... 3?e=q6ELJe

Thanks for being so patient.
Tippon

Post by Tippon »

gbilley wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:22 am Thanks for all the additional info. It was indeed helpful.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the scripts.ini line that reads: Order=[the order number of your preference].

The text in that line should be a number. The installer creates the line as: Order=1. This config puts the addon at the top of the tools\scripts menu. If you'd like a different order, you can use whatever number you prefer.

Same goes for the MonkeyBrainz scripts.ini line: Order= 100 [or your preferred addon list order number].

The line should read: Order=100. Or the order number of your choice (but don't include the period).

Try making those two changes and let me know what happens.

Also, are you still on Windows 7 or have you moved on to Windows 10? Shouldn't make a difference, but might be good to know.

Thanks.
Sorry, it's my first chance to check in for a while, plus I needed to replace my optical drive.

I'm on Windows 10, fully updated. It's been a week or two out of date at the most while this has been going on. I've seen your recent posts, but checked the freedbSubmitter order line, and it's now correct. I must have either reinstalled or tried changing the line between our last posts. It's made no difference though.

[freedbSubmitter]
Filename=freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs
Procname=launchSubmitter
Order=1
DisplayName=freedbSubmitter
Description=Submit new disc data to freedb or revise existing freedb data from MediaMonkey
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0
Just copy the script and paste it into an empty text file. Name the file fdbsCheck.vbs. When you run the file, you'll see a dialog box with the script results. Press Ctrl-C to copy the dialog contents and send me the results. It will tell me if everything is where it should be. Here's what it looks like on my system:
I've just tried this and got the same results - all four lines say True.
You might also try an unreleased update, version 2.6. Here's a download link:
Sorry to say, I've just tried it and got the same error :(

My new optical drive is an external USB drive, so I'll give everything a try on the laptop later tonight and see how that goes :)
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

Thanks again for all your testing and additional details. I think part of the problems you've experienced are due to my own inadequate understanding of MM node nomenclature and my inability to clearly convey the addon's requirements.

Basically, it sounds like you are trying to use the addon from a My Computer>CD node, instead of from a Music>Location>CD node. That's the node where you can see all the CDs in your library, whether they are online or off. The addon requires a Location>CD node to insure the CD is actually in the MM library and database, where it can access the info it needs to send to freedb (e.g., freedb discID and CD TOC).

So if you are on a My Computer>CD node, the error message is correct. Try selecting the same CD in its Music>Location>CD node location. It should work then.

In version 2.6, I'll try to make the error message a bit more clear and understandable to head off future confusion.

Regarding the script results, they indicate that everything is where it's supposed to be. Are you still getting an Error #-2147024894? If so, I'm totally mystified and can't even think of any other diagnostics to try.

Thanks again for all your help, patience, and perseverance.
Tippon

Post by Tippon »

gbilley wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:27 am Basically, it sounds like you are trying to use the addon from a My Computer>CD node, instead of from a Music>Location>CD node. That's the node where you can see all the CDs in your library, whether they are online or off. The addon requires a Location>CD node to insure the CD is actually in the MM library and database, where it can access the info it needs to send to freedb (e.g., freedb discID and CD TOC).
I'm not using either of those. My CD shows up in the main media tree, at the same level as Music, Entire Library etc. It does appear under My Computer, but doesn't appear under either Music>Location, or Entire Library>Location. I'll add two screenshots.

This sounds more like the fault of MMW's confusing setup than anything else >.<

My CD drive is H:\, and the CD is Pilgrim in the screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/BSC0oCv
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Thanks for the screenshot -- it explains a lot. And yes, the MM node naming conventions are adding to the confusion.

From the screenshot, it looks as though your CD has not been entered into the MM database and library. In fact, no CDs have been entered. I'm guessing you ripped the CD with MM and then added your tag information to the ripped files.

Here's a screenshot of how CD nodes appear in MM:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjhgeIYPVjLfiTMuwUE ... 3?e=kiYBFf

It's not possible to submit CDs to freedb from ripped files. Here's a link that goes into a bit more detail to why:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 38#p467138

At this point, to submit the CD, you'd need to put the CD back in the drive; download track data from MusicBrainz; edit any data that needs fixing or enhancing; save the CD to the MM library (press the Insert key); then run freedbSubmitter (making sure the selected node is "CD:Pilgrim - Pilgrim").
Tippon

Post by Tippon »

gbilley wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:21 am From the screenshot, it looks as though your CD has not been entered into the MM database and library. In fact, no CDs have been entered. I'm guessing you ripped the CD with MM and then added your tag information to the ripped files.
Nope, I've always tagged then ripped, and I've ripped multiple CDs over the years. I always found that easier than ripping and then searching for the files to edit.
gbilley wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:21 am At this point, to submit the CD, you'd need to put the CD back in the drive; download track data from MusicBrainz; edit any data that needs fixing or enhancing; save the CD to the MM library (press the Insert key); then run freedbSubmitter (making sure the selected node is "CD:Pilgrim - Pilgrim").
This is pretty much how I've always done it, except I've never pressed Insert, I've always just ripped the CD, and I use FreeDB for track info. I've just done the following:

put the CD back in the drive
download track data from freedb (as there was no data for this CD, the info was read from the CD text)
edit any data that needs fixing or enhancing (none in this case)
save the CD to the MM library (press the Insert key)
then run freedbSubmitter (making sure the selected node is "CD:Pilgrim - Pilgrim").

I got the original error.

I had a horrible feeling that I hadn't tried another CD, so I tried Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown, and I still got the error.

https://imgur.com/a/10svY1b
gbilley

Post by gbilley »

OMG, I think I committed the worst rookie coding mistake in the book! And once again, it was your latest screen shot that showed me the errors of my ways.

My error was assuming (or worse, not even considering) that everyone uses a one-word Windows user name (which just shows you how old-school I am).

If my realization is correct, using the following script in freedbSubmitter.vbs should fix the problem:

Sub launchSubmitter
	Dim objShell, htaPath, cmd
	cmd = """" & SDB.ScriptsPath & htaPath & """"
	objShell.Run cmd, 1, False
	Set objShell = Nothing
End Sub
If this fix works, my apologies to you and all the others who've wasted time on my faulty scripts. But my thanks and appreciation to you for sticking things out and helping me find a solution.

If the above fix doesn't work, then I'm totally befuddled.