ScrobblerDJ v1.26, Let your music free!!!

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Post by Guest »

psyXonova wrote:
RedX wrote:I just wanted to let you people know that i'm working on a new script that, if psyxonova agrees, should replace scrobbler.

It might take still 1-2 month till it's ready since i'm quite swamped with work at the moment.

Regards,
Red
I have no problem with that. In fact it will be really good...

I am coding SDj whenever i have time for my own satisfaction. Unfortunately my PhD requires me to code more than 8 hours per day and in many different languages and thus, as any programmer can understand, given the fact that I also have a life to live the time I spend for SDj is really limited.

So, RedX's upcoming script is good for me for more than 2 reasons:
  • it will relief me from the stress I have whenever I think of SDj development and most importantly
  • it will bring fresh ideas to a topic that ppl really loved, that is using LAST.FM to discover your music.
Ofcourse this doen't mean that it will replace SDj in terms of developement, those are clearly to seperate projects. If ppl like it better then it will surely replace SDj in their hearts and PCs but I will keep up coding and (eventually :roll:) releasing although from now on without stress :wink:
Does this mean you have a problem with sharing the vast amount of work you've already done on the new version with Red and others who are stepping up? Or is there just not enough work done to be worth sharing?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Personally I don't think I would. I'd hate to hand over code I'd spent ages on but not had time to finish. Until it's in a releasble state, it's mine! :D
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
ramon rames

correction

Post by ramon rames »

Hi !! Thanks for this great script, I am actually getting addicted to see what ever next track he would dig out of my collection !!

However the current version does have a problem, so here is my correction that does not cause any loss of functionality.

In file C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts\ScrobblerDJ.vbs
Line 297, replace this:

Code: Select all

If CInt(XElmnt.ChildNodes.Item(2).Text) > MinMatch Then
                    XDict.Add i, XElmnt.ChildNodes.Item(0).Text
                End If

with this :

Code: Select all

dim xm
                xm = XElmnt.ChildNodes.Item(2).Text
                if instr(xm,".") then
                    xm = left(xm,instr(xm,".")-1)
                end if

If CInt(xm) > MinMatch Then
                    XDict.Add i, XElmnt.ChildNodes.Item(0).Text
                End If
:wink:
6onova

?

Post by 6onova »

What problem does this code fix?
m0nkiii

Re: correction

Post by m0nkiii »

ramon rames wrote:Hi !! Thanks for this great script, I am actually getting addicted to see what ever next track he would dig out of my collection !!

However the current version does have a problem, so here is my correction that does not cause any loss of functionality.

:wink:
Ah, nice. My script has been dead for a while now. But this solved it.
It seems to work now :D
Spank u very much !

Post by Guest »

I just don't think there has been any real work done on the promised new version. I love to see that other people are stepping up to the plate due to the psyxonova's inability to deliver a working version, heck, any version. When SDJ was first released it had many things wrong with it, and required a lot of extra work to bring it to where it is now. Since psyxonova is too busy saving the world with his PhD, if he actually cared to see his code in use rather than just being a dormant text file on his hard drive, he would allow others to take it and finish it, since even if psyxonova got it to a releasable state there would still be much more work to be done anyways.

I basically believe that he promised a couple times on a great new version, and just hasn't had the ability to do it. All the "I have done a lot of work" is just more lies on top of the false promises without actually putting the work out there.
RedX

Post by RedX »

Anonymous wrote:I just don't think there has been any real work done on the promised new version. I love to see that other people are stepping up to the plate due to the psyxonova's inability to deliver a working version, heck, any version. When SDJ was first released it had many things wrong with it, and required a lot of extra work to bring it to where it is now. Since psyxonova is too busy saving the world with his PhD, if he actually cared to see his code in use rather than just being a dormant text file on his hard drive, he would allow others to take it and finish it, since even if psyxonova got it to a releasable state there would still be much more work to be done anyways.

I basically believe that he promised a couple times on a great new version, and just hasn't had the ability to do it. All the "I have done a lot of work" is just more lies on top of the false promises without actually putting the work out there.
I think you are not quite aware of how much time a PhD consumes and i find it offensive for you to say that psyxonova is not interested in developing SDJ.

If you think it's that easy then why don't you step up to the task?

Regards,
Red

Post by Guest »

I'm well aware of the time & effort it takes to get a PhD, and never said he wasn't interested in developing SDJ, and never said it was easy. I also never said I would do it, and I certainly didn't repeatedly say I would do it and have it done soon. I also didn't claim to have done a lot of work already on a new version but refuse to share it with those like yourself who are interested in stepping up to the task. I did say he was unable to do it, and this has become painfully obvious.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I don't think there is any point to continuing to harp on the fact that psyxonova has not had time to finish sdj despite the fact he wants/wanted to, and that he does not wish to release his existing re-work.

No scripter here is paid anything for their work.

Things don't always work out as planned.

Complaining about it, surely won't get it fixed/updated/replaced any sooner.

As the man above said, if you don't like the rate at which someone scripts something, then pickup an editor and get it done yourself.

While there are admittedly some potential issues with the existing SDJ, it does in fact work rather well.

Instead of complaining about the lack of updates, perhaps you might get more productive comments if you simply posted what your main problem(s) are with the existing script and perhaps someone can suggest/code a quick work around.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@Guest - Next time you post complaining about this script not being completed when you want it to be, I will delete it. Unless you have something constructive to post, don't bother!! :evil:

@6onova - That code is a non-numeric solution for creating an integer from a real value. Replace "CInt" with "Int" should also work, although the non-numeric solutions seem to work better in some locales.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Post by Guest »

Teknojnky wrote:No scripter here is paid anything for their work.
So what's the point of keeping it private other than trying to pretend your code is all cool and you're too good for anyone else to touch it?
trixmoto wrote:@Guest - Next time you post complaining about this script not being completed when you want it to be, I will delete it. Unless you have something constructive to post, don't bother!! :evil:
Ok, but it's a serious question. What is the point of refusing to let others finish what you started when you a) receive no money, and b) don't have the time to finish it?

Sorry if these questions don't deserve to be answered in the mods eyes.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Simply because he does not have to?

He does not owe you or anyone else a reason or explaination.

Am I disappointed myself? Sure I am. But I am not gonna begrudge him or his decision.

I can thank him for the time and effort he did spend on developing the existing version tho!
6onova

ScrobblerDJ on Sourceforge?

Post by 6onova »

I’ve was doing some brainstorming about the further development of ScrobblerDJ today. Psyxonova have you considered posting the ScrobblerDJ project on Sourceforge? This would allow you to retain your rights as the owner and creator of this project and also allow the community to work on this project from CVS. I believe that this would be a great way for the ScrobblerDJ project expand and grow in new directions. While allowing you to still retain control over the direction this project goes.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I was thinking about something along these lines for me too. I don't like scripts dying (reason is obvious), but I don't like to see scripts taken over either (original author is forgotten from the 2nd post onward; based-on-reality). It would also take some of the "obligation stress" away, as anyone would be able to contribute (or not) while people wouldn't have a real reason to be impatient. Now when I'm working on / trying something, I let people know when they ask something related on the forum. This probably feels like a promise/commitment, while it really isn't one. Sometimes I just stop testing something because I really think it isn't worth the trouble (causing "too busy with other (more interesting) things" for me), but then people might be waiting on something I said (but not really promised) which makes it harder. Open Source (but with "project founder" of course) would maybe make those worries go away.

Are there good alternatives for Sourceforge, as SF is kind of heavy-weight, certainly for "script" development.

I haven't followed this thread, but I used one of the first versions of ScrobblerDJ and it was working well then. So maybe more features you are waiting on would be nice, but in my opinion it's already pretty gr8.

Comment on the post below:
code.google.com wrote:What is code.google.com?

Code.google.com is our site for external developers interested in Google-related development. It’s where we’ll publish free source code and lists of our API services.
I've seen people use that site, but it's not really made for non-Google-related projects.
Last edited by Steegy on Tue May 01, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
6onova

Post by 6onova »

Google has recently started a Sourceforge alternative. I can not vouch for it in anyway, but that is the only other one I know of!

http://code.google.com/hosting/