Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Faziri

Re: Backup 5.8 - Updated 27/10/2010

Post by Faziri »

gpzbc wrote:I could be wrong, but I think you have to have the "Output Path" box checked in order to create the zip in the "Output Archive" box. As I understand it, the zip is created from the files created in the Output Path, so there will be no zip if there are no files to zip. Like I said, I might be wrong, but give it a try and let me know what happens.

Good luck.
I went by the image in the first post for reference to set it up:

Enabling "output path" as it is in my screenshot doesn't work (already tried that many times anyway). I don't know what else I could possibly set there, the folder in the example image is just one of his backup folders and not the same one as the folder where he puts his .zip.
Also, you're saying 2 different things and one of them goes against logic completely... First you say the output path is where the .zip goes (sounds logic, if the example image didn't also show a path in the .zip path box), and then you say the files in the output path are put into the .zip, which would make it an input path, not output. :P

So yeah, I can't quite make sense of this thing... I don't even get what the output path is for if the .zip box has its own path defined. A non-zipped copy of the files into a folder? Sounds a bit silly to me...
amblaser94

Backup Error

Post by amblaser94 »

so i just download MM and put all my music files into the library, but MM won't allow me to backup. This message comes up:

Windows Script Host
Line 113
Char 7
Error Permission Denied
Code 800A046
Source Microsoft runtime error

What should I do? :(
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

@Faziri

By the way, the image in the first post that you referenced shows both the "Output path" and the "Output archive" boxes checked.

I'm not trying to be silly, just trying to help. Maybe I didn't explain it well, but I was trying to explain how it works. As I understand it, the backup files for the archive function are put in a "temp" location, which is the path in the output path section, then when the archive is completed the temp files are either saved or deleted based on whether or not you have the "Output path" box checked.

I went ahead and tried my own advice on my own set up to see if my advice is good advice or not. (By the way, you can see my settings here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 90#p335223) Anyways, my advice is not good advice. When I unchecked the "Output path" box and ran the backup, it basically runs the backup, then zips the folder, then deletes all of the backup files, including the zipped folder. Here is the results box I get.

So I've been of no help to you. :D

Try this instead. You need to take your output path and location of your output archive to another level. As you have it set up now, the script deletes all of the backup files located in the "Temp" folder because you told it not to save them. And since the zipped Archive is located in that folder, it is getting deleted along with all of the temporary backup files. All you have to do is create a separate folder for the temp files to be located in and eventually deleted.

You can either setup your backup more like the image in the first post that you referenced, or you can do it this way. Go into your "Temp" folder and create a "MMBackup" folder. Within that newly created "MMBackup" folder, create a "Files" folder and an "Archive" folder. Then try this setup instead and it should work for you.

Output path: "C:\Temp\MMBackup\Files\"
Output archive: "C:\Temp\MMBackup\Archive\Mediamonkey.zip"

That way when the script is done creating the zipped archive, it will only delete the files in the "Files" folder, and not the zipped folder in the "Archive" folder.

That should work for you, but let me know how it goes.

By the way, I would recommend that you also check the "Output path" box. That way you will have one more copy of your backup. Redundancy never hurts when it comes to backups. I would also add the date and time feature to your zipped archive. As you have it now, your previous zipped folder will be overwritten every time you run the backup script. If you add the date and time to the zipped folder name, then the new zipped folder will be created next to the old zipped folder. That way when things go bad, you will be able to choose which backup to restore from. Check out my backup settings to see how I have it setup. It works pretty sweet for me.
Last edited by gpzbc on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

trixmoto wrote:I'm more concerned that the paths of the script don't seem to be pointing in the right place, as this script uses the API to determine the locations - this implies that the API is not currently working.
Has there been any update on this? Trix, I know you are busy, but I wonder if the devs even know of this issue?
--
The gpzbc
Faziri

Post by Faziri »

Still nothing...
No changes anywhere at all, not even a CPU spike.

FYI I'll do the detailed setup like adding date flags to the filename later on, after I get it to actually do anything...
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Faziri wrote:Still nothing...
No changes anywhere at all, not even a CPU spike.

FYI I'll do the detailed setup like adding date flags to the filename later on, after I get it to actually do anything...
That's weird. What does the results box say when the script is done running? Can you take a screenshot of that? You'll probably have to uncheck the "Only show backup summary on error" box in order to see it.
--
The gpzbc
Faziri

Post by Faziri »

gpzbc wrote:~snip~
There is no popup box. Never has been.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

You'll probably have to uncheck the "Only show backup summary on error" box in order to see it.
--
The gpzbc
nohitter151

Re: Backup Error

Post by nohitter151 »

It's an error with an addon.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Faziri

Post by Faziri »

gpzbc wrote:You'll probably have to uncheck the "Only show backup summary on error" box in order to see it.
It is unchecked.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I'm a bit stumped. :-?
Maybe someone else will chime in, but it sounds like the script isn't running/executing at all for you. It's a bit of a long-shot, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the script?
--
The gpzbc
Faziri

Post by Faziri »

gpzbc wrote:I'm a bit stumped. :-?
Maybe someone else will chime in, but it sounds like the script isn't running/executing at all for you. It's a bit of a long-shot, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the script?
Yep.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Let's hope someone better than me chimes in.
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Any good at scripting? You could put in some...

MsgBox "test 1"

...debug messages at the start of the important function and then see if any of them come up.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Faziri

Post by Faziri »

trixmoto wrote:Any good at scripting? You could put in some...

MsgBox "test 1"

...debug messages at the start of the important function and then see if any of them come up.
I've never handled VB before, but I am comfortable around JS/HTML/CSS/DOS/etc... Opened up all 3 scripts that make up this extension, found "sub backup()" in 2 of them. Added a msgbox command as the first thing in both subs (which, judging by the code in them, are the functions that are run when you click the "Backup" button), restarted MM and got... nothing. Adding a msgbox to the code that builds the backup dialog gave me the msgbox, but the others never showed. So I'm indeed getting the feeling the actual backup code is simply never executed.

Something I noticed though: the vbscript.dll registering is buggy. I have to register it again and again after every reboot or get the "no support for .vbs" popup, and sometimes I have to register it multiple times only minutes apart only because of restarting MM. AFAIK it doesn't matter because once it's registered, it'll work anyway, but maybe it's another side-effect of the actual problem and you can recognize the main problem with it?...