Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: Backup 5.4 - Updated 09/07/2010

Post by trixmoto »

As long as all your folder locations are the same, just double click on "Restore.vbs". If the folder locations have changed (upgrading Windows might have done this) then you will need to edit "Restore.vbs" in a text editor to change the locations before you run it.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

It could be more trouble than it's worth, and could be more of an annoyance for some, but perhaps there could be a way to account for a change in Windows version? Like, when you go to restore, it could ask you for what version of Windows you want to restore to, so if you're moving from XP to Vista for instance, than it would correctly place the Database in the correct location it belongs in for Vista as opposed to it being hard coded to the location it was at for XP?

Just a thought that came to mind while reading that.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well it's difficult because you might have changed username, for example, and it is possible for you to install in a different directory. I could assume that you've kept the same username and selected the default directory, but it is all big assumptions.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

Couldn't it be made like any other software you install where it shows you the default location it's going to restore to but allows you to change it if you wish before actually restoring?
Stop Button Freak
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'll take a look at the restoration script which is produced and see if I can make it more sophisticated in the next version.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

trixmoto wrote:Well it's difficult because you might have changed username, for example, and it is possible for you to install in a different directory. I could assume that you've kept the same username and selected the default directory, but it is all big assumptions.
Valid points that hadn't come to mind when I had the initial thought. Was just trying to think of a way to make the restore script a little more helpful in situations where things may have changed (and those are changes that could very well happen). If you do work out something that would allow the modification of restore locations and such, then perhaps the first option could be "Quick Restore" or "Advanced Restore" where quick would put things back where the script got them (for instances where you've screwed your database or such and simply reverting back to an old version) and then the advanced option where you may have switched from Vista to 7 or did a restore and changed Windows Account Name.

Though, I'm actually not too sure how helpful the original thought would be (being able to more intelligently place things where they need to be when changing Windows versions), as the values in the INI would need to be changed anyway(?).

PS -- You need to update this or the MonkeyRok script soon, I keep getting the two topics mixed up while scanning the topic list because they're both "5.4" :lol:
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This script is second on my list at the moment so you may well get your wish! :) I'll see what I can come up with in the next version.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I just wanted to express gratitude for this script, and for Trixmoto's work on all of his wonderful scripts. I recently had to reinstall my operating system due to a hard drive failure. Without this backup script, it would have been a nightmare trying to get my MM library back up to speed.
Thank you very much Trixmoto!
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Glad I could help! :)
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

gpzbc wrote:I just wanted to express gratitude for this script, and for Trixmoto's work on all of his wonderful scripts. I recently had to reinstall my operating system due to a hard drive failure. Without this backup script, it would have been a nightmare trying to get my MM library back up to speed.
Thank you very much Trixmoto!
I am pleased it worked for you too.
I think we have all been down that muddy road and have Trixmoto to thank for pulling us out :)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I think I may be using the script improperly. I have the Output path set to "C:path/to/folder/MediaMonkey Backups/Temp" (without it checked), and then the Rar option set to create a Rar with the version and date/time in the "MediaMonkey Backups" folder. As a result of the erroring out on cleaning up after making the Rar, I looked at the options. I turned on the "Cleanup Output path before backup," thinking it might help. However, when closing out the program last night, I got an error that the Output path already existed.

So... should I check the Output path option, add a unique identifier to the path (perhaps to mirror the Rar name), or what? If I do the latter, then I might end up with several left over folders if I don't keep an eye on it. Hm...
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Hopefully your output path is more like "C:\path\to\folder\MediaMonkey Backups\Temp\" and by "RAR" you actually mean "ZIP"? If the output path is the same location each time you need to tick the "overwrite previous backup" option.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Owyn wrote:Guess I am on the bleeding edge. If it happens I can do a full optimize on the database. I probably have a lot of slack due to deleted podcast episodes.
Have you worked out what the maximum size is? I'm trying to come up with some sort of solution for this, maybe zipping everything except the .DB file and then storing this in the same folder and with the same name as the zip file.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

nohitter151 wrote:4 gigabytes I think: http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/259/
No as it fails on my DB of 900MB