Clear Field 1.3 - Updated 26/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I don't understand what this script do.
Can't you do the same using properties, clearing the field and ticking the box? :-?
Can someone explain me?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes you can, but this script will do it in the background so if you're clearing out a field (maybe a custom field because you've decided to use it for a different purpose) then you can run the script for your thousands and thousands of tracks without MM freezing whilst it does it. This is especially the case if you are writing to the tags as well. I'm not sure if this is still an issue in MM3 though.

It's also useful for clearing out fields (such as the Lyrics field) for which these is no checkbox and cannot be edited for multiple tracks at once.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
bob61

Post by bob61 »

trixmoto wrote:Yes you can, but this script will do it in the background so if you're clearing out a field (maybe a custom field because you've decided to use it for a different purpose) then you can run the script for your thousands and thousands of tracks without MM freezing whilst it does it. This is especially the case if you are writing to the tags as well. I'm not sure if this is still an issue in MM3 though.

It's also useful for clearing out fields (such as the Lyrics field) for which these is no checkbox and cannot be edited for multiple tracks at once.
I had same question that Dreadlau had - not sure I see the benefit of this script (MM3 will process tracks in 'background' when update via properties). Limitation of this script is needing to know the field name as there is no drop down, limited to single field as compared to just using Properties where you can clear out multiple fields all at once (for example all 5 of the custom fields).

I have found that your scripts trixmoto are usually quite useful. However other than having the ability to clear lyrics the toolset already in MM3 seems to be far superior in this case. I know the short answer is "fine, don't use it". However since you didn't know that MM3 will process Property updates in the background that was useful info for you. Now knowing that maybe you won't need to dedicate any more time to maintaining this -or- modify it so that it focuses only on those fields that Properties doesn't support for multiple tracks (such as lyrics). This should be a short list then that could be included in drop down list which then makes this much more user friendly tool.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Thanks for the information Trixmoto. :)
I now unsderstand the purpose of this script
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

When it asked me for a field name I typed in 'Custom 3' (without the quotes) and it gave me an error.
Stop Button Freak
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This script was originally requested for clearing out the Lyrics field, but I decided to make it work for any field so that it was more flexible. I didn't create a dropdown list because then I'd have to maintain the list! :)

@Vyper - try Custom3 (without the space).
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

a list of fields (properties) is available @ http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/SDBSongData however it may not be completely up to date with all the mm3 fields (I know it was missing custom4 and custom5 before I added them).
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

That did the trick, trix ... :P

Thanks! :D
Stop Button Freak
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Vyper.

The Custom fields should be typed:

CUSTOM1
CUSTOM2
CUSTOM3
CUSTOM4
CUSTOM5
sommo

Re: Clear Field 1.1 [MM2+3]

Post by sommo »

I would just like to say a thank you trixmoto, for this addon!
This is one of the reason why I use MediaMonkey!
It is really helpful and I do use it :)
Keep up the good work & Happy coding!
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

sommo wrote:I would just like to say a thank you trixmoto, for this addon
Me too :D
I have just found a load of rubbish in the Lyrics field and thanks to this script it was cleared up without any difficulty.
Thanks also to spacefish for pointing me in this direction :P
Thanks again folks,
MediaMonkey user since 2006
MM3 monkey

Re:

Post by MM3 monkey »

Thanks for this, Trixmoto. I cleared the garbage from Custom5 for 1200 tracks. It works beautifully exactly as described. MediaMonkey on its own just cannot handle tagging more than about 300 tracks at once. This script solves that and is great.
Can't you do the same using properties, clearing the field and ticking the box?
I've always thought this was a very good explanation:
trixmoto wrote:Yes you can, but this script will do it in the background so if you're clearing out a field (maybe a custom field because you've decided to use it for a different purpose) then you can run the script for your thousands and thousands of tracks without MM freezing whilst it does it. This is especially the case if you are writing to the tags as well. I'm not sure if this is still an issue in MM3 though.

Can anyone explain why MediaMonkey has to behave the way it does? It kind of seems to throw, hurl, all the tracks at itself at once, causing it to go into seizure at the initial stage. It's fine once it gets going. If it gets going. Yet this script, and RegEx Find & Replace etc. can happily process thousands of tracks. It may be slower but it's effective.

If I want to lower the rating of 3000 tracks, I have to do 12 or so batches of 270-ish tracks. It's really annoying! Even then, MediaMonkey takes ages to get going and gives the impression that it is not happy at all until it finally unlocks and sets off tagging.

It's the tortoise and the hare. This script chugs away reliably and you can carry on doing other things. MediaMonkey is fast once it gets going but getting going seems a bit too 'beefed up'.

I know part of the issue is my computer but it's not ancient.
MMW 4.1.9.1764|MMA 1.1.3.0482|Android 5.0|Win 8.1 64 bit
Peke

Post by Peke »

I wonder is it possible to modify this script to clean same content from selected fields and all other fields that contain exact same info for example Clean "DJ Promo Track" from Encoder and also from Copyright and Comment with only one selection?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

Peke wrote:I wonder is it possible to modify this script to clean same content from selected fields and all other fields that contain exact same info for example Clean "DJ Promo Track" from Encoder and also from Copyright and Comment with only one selection?
Wouldn't that be ZvezdanD's RegExp script?
jiri

Post by jiri »

If I want to lower the rating of 3000 tracks, I have to do 12 or so batches of 270-ish tracks. It's really annoying! Even then, MediaMonkey takes ages to get going and gives the impression that it is not happy at all until it finally unlocks and sets off tagging.
You are right, it was really slow. I have just fixed a small problem there and the action of updating properties in Library is much faster now (although it can still take some time to process on really large groups of tracks).

Jiri