Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 3.2 [MM2+3]

Post by trixmoto »

There is no webservice so this means scraping html which is both unreliable and slow. For a batch script like this it really needs to be a webservice, preferably with XML output.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
hatn

Post by hatn »

just noticed that there used to be a script to tag from allmusic but that it has been forbidden by the owners.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... t=allmusic
i think it'd ve been a good source though:)
guess i'll have to do it manually, should be possible in a few years. :P
tatoosh

Post by tatoosh »

i always get this error by using the script with the newest MM3beta
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well I can't see the error message but yes I have had reports that this script doesn't work with the latest betas - it's on my list.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

After reading through all this and experimenting some, I notice that almost every album I scan continues to come back with a duplicate "genre" for the name of the artist themselves. I suspect this may be some Last.fm sorting 'feature' for faster access of related bands & solo acts. However, I did see some indication that the script author might be filtering out 'eponymous' genres. Will this be the case in a future release?
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

One more thing:

I was reading the GenreFinder.log file, after setting logging to "Extra". When in album mode, it seems to be parsing semicolon-delimitted genre lists into separate genres for the whitelist/blacklist checks. But for Artist mode, it's just concatenating each genre into a larger string.

In Album mode:
Multiple values...
Custom1 'Swedish' translated to 'Sweden'.
Custom1 'Indie Pop' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Twee' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Female Vocalists' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Pop' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Cute' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Scandinavian Pop' translated to 'Scandinavia'.
Custom1 'Scandinavian' translated to 'Scandinavia'.
Custom1 'Sweden' translated to 'Sweden'
In Artist mode:
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee; Indie' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee; Indie; Pop' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee; Indie; Pop; Labrador' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee; Indie; Pop; Labrador; Swedish Pop' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee; Indie; Pop; Labrador; Swedish Pop; Scandinavian' is not in whitelist
Custom1 'Indie Pop; Swedish; Twee; Indie; Pop; Labrador; Swedish Pop; Scandinavian; Indiepop' is not in whitelist
The downside of this is that it appears my Custom1 whitelist is not "catching" anything in the middle of the long genre string when in Artist mode, say for example, the word or wildcard for Swed%.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, ignoring the artist name is on my list for the next version. You're right about the artist mode appearing to have a bug as well, this is now also on my list.
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have another question then: When using 'Artist' mode, which tends to actually give me the results I want more often than not anyway, if I accept the changes, it sets these for ALL tracks by said artist (or so it seems?). This occurs even if I have only highlighted a single album. The possible issue here is that artists DO change styles on different albums, particularly as they evolve over time, or come out with "thematic' releases.

And as far as Last.FM's usage to pull down genres - will MusicBrainz work as a web service at all? I was just playing with the MusicBrainz tagger script and noticed that its genres are considerably 'cleaner' and less, um, eccentric than the anything-goes nature of Last.fm (I swear, this morning I got back "Big Gay Disco" for an album of mine). If MusicBrainz can be polled just as easily as I hope, it MAY provide an alternate source for some of us in getting genres. I am still investigating though - and I've no idea if MB's genre-flagging is track, album, or artist based.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It's for precisely this reason that personally I use album mode, not artist mode. But that is the idea, to tag all tracks by the artist when in artist mode. It would be far too slow to try and work out which tracks are selected and which are not when doing the update. What I'd probably recommend is doing the artist mode first and then running album mode afterwards for albums to try and improve on the accuracy.
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

Interesting - so this is by design. But say someone WAS tring to go for mainly artist-oriented genres; would there be a way to quickly pull up a list of unique artists and run a genre scan for each of them, then? If we're going THAT route, then it's unnecessary to select all the songs in an album anyway, and would be less efficient. This does sound more like a possible background process though, or a report, similar to how some of the album art taggers work.

It's quite weird though, how different the genre tags can be between artist and album. That's why I was saying that in regards to Last.fm, the artist-level tags get less "weird" results overall. MusicBrainz is still returning good ones, but it's immature in regard to more obsure artists. The MusicBrainz tagger gives me a lot of ideas - of something that could mayhaps aggregate genres from several possible sources (performance is an issue, but for a background-running report anyway, it could work...)

Not trying to give you guys more work, though ;-)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'll certainly consider these issues when I'm working on the next version of the script, so watch this space :)
sonofjon

Post by sonofjon »

I've looked through the entire thread, but I am still unclear on what the check-box "Check library before querying" means (only visible when settings are configured to scan in album mode).

Great script! Thanks.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It has a look to see what other tracks in the album are already tagged with to see if it can find a suitable match there.
mistresso

Post by mistresso »

So, because I am impatient and want to futz around with the MM API anyway (or is it more technically the SDK?), I am experimenting with an external .Net application that accesses the database. I program in C# for a living, so VbScript is a bit "painful" for me (too much functionality has to be written out the long way, whereas in .Net we have pre-written libraries for encoding conversions, string manipulation, etc). This is really for my own eyes anyway though.

I know I can access the SQLite database directly via a provider like the one found at http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/, but I presume it's far preferable to use the built in SDB objects/methods rather than re-inventing the wheel here (Also so tags are updated as well as the database, etc).

My question then, just looking over the script code, is for Trix: Why is the 1.0 Last.fm web service call being used? Was it just what was available when the script was originally written, or is there an advantage still versus the 2.0 version of "artist.getTopTags" or "track.getTopTags"?

I'm also curious because it appears that for the newer Last.fm service, an "Api_key" is required (altho it's not technically an "authenticated" call : see http://www.last.fm/api/show?service=288). I'm not sure if for a public script, this is undesirable because one doesn't want to "share" their key with the world. :-) It would also seem, as a requirement, to limit usage to only last.fm subscribers, rather than being an anonymous search. Yet this is the way Last.fm seems to want their web service calls to "work", going forward. I couldn't even find the 1.0 API docs on the site.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It is generally better I would have thought to use the scripting methods to access the properties, although it really depends. You can use the "SDB.Database.OpenSQL" to obtain values that was as well as the SongData object itself. However my "BackupPlaylists" script uses a COM object to create a partial database, so it's certainly possible to do it this way.

I have not yet had a chance to look at the new calls, which is the only reason I'm not using them so far. If an API key is needed, this is often (although I've not checked in this) per application rather than per user. If it is per user then that does cause issues and I guess then it would be to made option for users to enter there's and then either have a default one to drop back to or drop back to the 1.0 calls, although this might make the script overly complex!