Batch M3U Creator 2.7 - Updated 23/09/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

_green_eggs_

Unicode Working

Post by _green_eggs_ »

Love this script. Was just having problems with Unicode playlists not being playable as noted early by SlasherMCT. Found a reference on the web how to create Unicode m3u and it works a treat. I hope it is alright to post.

Where the code is

Code: Select all

'create new playlist file
  On Error Resume Next
  Dim out : Set out = fso.CreateTextFile(loc,True)
Changed to

Code: Select all

'create new playlist file
  On Error Resume Next
  Dim out : Set out = fso.CreateTextFile(loc,True,True)
The second True, did the trick - thanks to
http://rickys-stuff.com/music/XSPF_Mp3Playlister.vbs
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, the only reason I didn't do this initially was the M3U specification I was working off said that unicode was not allowed for compatibility reasons. Easy enough to add though if your players all support it! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
gramac111

Already existing playlist with the same name creates problem

Post by gramac111 »

hi I have one more question. I have the script set up to create playlists with the album name in a specific folder. Now let's say there were a few more tracks I wanted to add a day later with the same album name (and therefore the same automated name for the playlist) - is there a way to do that using this script? Right now, the changes do not "take" if a playlist with the same name already exists.

thanks for all your help
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

At the moment it always overwrites (making a backup first) - or at least that's what it should do.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
gramac111

Already existing playlist with the same name creates problem

Post by gramac111 »

Hmm. Not sure that's what I saw. Will go and check again this eve to make sure. Is there a way, you think, to modify the script so that the new tracks get added to the existing playlist (if it is already there) instead of overwriting? I'm not sure if there is another script that does this, but given the huge number of playlists I have, would be much easier than using the "send to" option. thanks for clarifying.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

As the playlist is a text file, you can't really add to it without rewriting the file anyway.
gramac111

Post by gramac111 »

Apologies for the repeated questions but I think I'm missing something here. When you say the file gets overwritten, does that mean that the old play list gets backed up and a new one with just the latest tracks added gets created? Or does the old one get backed up, and a new one containing the new tracks and the earlier ones (present in the backed up file) get created?

As always, thanks for all your help.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The old one should get backed up (by adding ".bak" to the end of the filename) and then the new one should be created including all the tracks (new and old).
gramac111

Post by gramac111 »

Thanks! the new tracks get added to the old ones. thanks again for all your help!
gert

Post by gert »

Love this script but is it possible to run it on it's own without Media Monkey? Works great at home but can't install MM on work computer so would like to be able to keep a script on my work desktop, point it at my My Music folder and then just run it when I need it.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Not really, this would involve a big re-write of the script as at the moment the database is used entirely.
jonp

Re: Batch M3U Creator 2.2 [MM2+3]

Post by jonp »

Great script - thanks.
I have a fair few songs that I have mostly deduped. This has meant that an album may be missing a song as the song is part of another album. Question....is it possible to run a script that queries last.fm or another music source for all songs originally in an album and then the script creates M3U from this list by using a feature similar trixmoto's Recreate M3U? This would result in M3Us for an album even if the song does not have the Album associated with it in your library. Does this make sense? Thanks.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, I guess this would indeed by possible.
CarlG

Post by CarlG »

+1 for the request to download album information for the playlist, for the same reason - I've deleted dupe songs, but would like for album playlists to include the songs that were originally on each album.

Cheers, Carl.
moviesbx

Post by moviesbx »

Great idea for a script; this looks to be exactly what I have been looking for but I have a problem.

I have created the playlists (choosing another location to save them), however, once I go to the folder I chose it has a list of all of the artists and the albums that they appear in. My question is can the script be built just with a listing of the albums and not the way it is now which is artist - album?

I have currently 231 albums so in theory I really only need 231 playlists. The way the script is sorting everything now I have a total of "3456 playlists".

Thanks

UPDATE:

I have been able to tinker with this script to just get a listing of the albums that I own (clicking on a playlist would allow for my mp3 player to play all tracks regarding the number of artists) which is what I have been looking forward to in doing - or so I thought I had this down. However I noticed that once I click on the playlists that only the ones with one artist show all of the tracks within and not the rest. For example I have Albums created by genre and the year the songs came out (ex. Alternative 2008, Hip Hop 2007). The latter however only show one artist and one song in the playlist - what gives?
Last edited by moviesbx on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.