Anyone ingested in New project?

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

dtsig

Anyone ingested in New project?

Post by dtsig »

Not that we don't all have enough stuff on our plates but I would like to get a script and I know my b scripting is not up to the task.
What I would like is a script that when I have brought in a new file I can select the file (s) then the routine will match the file (right now just tv series) with existing series and seed specific fields (user selectable) with like fields in db. So if I bring in a new episode of Legends the the process will bring in artwork and genre and ... From existing series episode.
I can create a flow chart if that would help.
I can't offer a lot but willing to listen
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Scottes

Re: Anyone ingested in New project?

Post by Scottes »

I don't use MM for videos, but I do have a lot of movies and TV episodes running under XBMC on my HTPC. I use FileBot to correctly name TV shows - it queries TheTVDB or TVRage to get the series name, season, episode number and title. And then I pull all that stuff into Ember Media Manager to get info (plot, actors, etc), and Ember will create files that XBMC understands. These files are XML so it would be trivial* to parse the fields and pull the info in MediaMonkey.

FileBot: http://www.filebot.net/
Ember Media Manager: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165012

Ember might be a bit overkill, since it would effectively replace MediaMonkey for movies and TV. But if you want to keep with MM, those programs will get you all the info you will ever need, with very consistent standards for the data.

*Trivial: Parsing XML for the first time is a bit of a learning curve, though VB/.NEThas some built-in stuff that makes it pretty easy. Once you get past the XML parsing the data is very standardized, so it would be easy to put each XML field into the corresponding MediaMonkey field.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Scotts .. interesting alternative and I will look at it for future ideas but I like MMW and want to keep all my media in one place. Doesn't make sense to me to have it in multiple places. I have tested XBMC before and can't remember right off why i didn't stay with it though i might be that i would have to have multiple media players.
Parsing, though at times not trivial, is not the problem. Been programming for 30+ years .. just never spent a lot of time with vb (never liked it much) and the couple projects i did do with vb/mmw i found very limiting (though I think some of that was vb/mmw gui limitations). Of course there are a bazillion ways to do things and work-arounds .. well work around problems :)
Thanks .. like i said will look at that as I always like to see/learn new ways to do things. Keep the ideas coming
Would like to stay in 1 player if possible.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

Note that XBMC is not required for what you want to do.

FileBot and Ember just make for great data collection tools for movies and TV shows. Using them would mean the metadata would be in 2 databases - Ember and MM. You'd just ignore Ember's version once you parsed it into MM.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I will be taking a look at them. Maybe q you off line
Thanks again
Dsig
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I took a look at Ember (as renaming files isn't a problem) and I have to say I find it pretty inscrutable <G>

Having been in the sw rodeo for 30+ i tried a couple things as i would any new sw and it simply didn't respond in any understandable way.

But thanks for that It was interesting.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

Hmm. I've been using it for so many years that I don't remember learning it.

Thinking about it though, I did try a few others before I settled on Ember, and I guess that I can see it being overwhelming since it does so much.

Oh well.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Scottes wrote:Hmm. I've been using it for so many years that I don't remember learning it.

Thinking about it though, I did try a few others before I settled on Ember, and I guess that I can see it being overwhelming since it does so much.

Oh well.
It was a cool lead and might try it again if it does all the finding of eps/metadata. But for now time is limited and it will take some real time.

Thanks for the lead ..
Dsig
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Regarding Ember I personally more prefer http://www.tinymediamanager.org/ which look almost same and fully support XBMC/Kodi metadata.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts