How does MMW determine if files on USB need sync?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MrMazda

How does MMW determine if files on USB need sync?

Post by MrMazda »

Guys...

Roughly 4500 FLAC tracks in library and most get written to a USB stick (MP3) I use in the car... About once every 6 months, I want to sync to include newly added tracks or rewrite/update tracks that may have seen tags changes...

This operation takes many hours on my Ultrafit64 USB3 stick. It takes so long that I force myself to wait so it's really worth it.

My car's system was reading empty playlists after syncing 2 days ago so I thought I'd resync but enabling "relative path"...
I can clearly see every single file being rewritten... So this is gonna take hours again but I see no reason why....
I had only added one new track to the library so I was expecting a quick scan then writing the new file as MP3...

May I ask what is involved in checking whether or not a file is updated or rewritten when syncing? Is a timestamp used? Is a tag used?

One thing I have to do for my car (2014 Mazda3) to refresh it's tracks catalog is I move the "music" folder and playlists files from the root of the stick to a newly "anyname" created folder... I then move everything back to the root before syncing again in MMW... Does this affect some timestamp of file id that MMW checks?

Thank for helping!
Peke

Re: How does MMW determine if files on USB need sync?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately USB sync is not perfect, especially when used on devices that do not have any MM installed (MMA = Android, MMW/5 = Windows) and need to check each file on drive to be sure no duplicates happen.

The best Practice in such cases is to Tell MM to Delete all media and Resync. I tested and in past 30min from your post using USB2.0 connection I synced 6000+ tracks without issues. Playlist will be simply recreated after all tracks are copied.

Do not get me wrong, but as you sync every few months. I think it is easier and faster that way.

On the other hand using WiFi Sync from MMA then sync updates only is way faster, but in that case MMA tells MM5 what is missing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MrMazda

Post by MrMazda »

Thanks... but if I'm not mistaken, syncing with auto-conversion "on" (FLAC->MP3) takes at least 6 hours... I will check the end time for this sync to be sure...

Knowing what triggers a file being overwritten might help alleviate that. Only a few files really need to be updated... This would reduce the time to almost nothing.

Is there a way to accelerate the sync? This is going straight from HDD, to temp folder on different HDD, then to USB3 stick.
I just don't understand why it takes so long and it annoys me seeing it write files for no reason!

Thanks again
MrMazda

Post by MrMazda »

Some feedback about sync time... it has been 8 hours and there are still 477 tracks to write...

Please help me find out why they are being rewritten and/or possibly find why it's so slow...
MMW temp folder is on a SSD with more than 2GB free space... PC is 3rd gen. i7 and has 32GB ram...
Plenty of power and speed...
I just can't figure this one out...