I'm about to scream.

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

popculturella

I'm about to scream.

Post by popculturella »

I have an old iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1.1, 64GB storage) that was sent to me by a friend that I've only ever used for music. It served me well on the laptop I had at the time until the latter finally bit the dust from age a year ago. I've really wanted to both add to and remove songs from it since then from my new computer, but have been unable to because of Apple's absolutely idiotic programming that dictates if I want to hook it up to a new computer, it'll wipe everything connected to the old one off of it. I...I've never understood that, and I certainly don't want it to happen.

So after burning through several different programs that all boast just-as-good-as-iTunes media management functionality, I've landed on this one. And once again, I've hit a roadblock. The same one as all the others, in fact. It just won't sync to the damn phone. It's plugged in, but the Tools>Sync Device>Auto-Synchronize option is greyed out. Some of the others would see the phone and list it in the sidebar, but be unable to fully connect with it for one reason or another. Even when I pull up actual iTunes, it connects and lets me look at he songs that are on there, but won't let me do anything with them (or add/remove any) without formally ~synching to it, then we run into the first problem mentioned, etc. etc. I've looked at guide after guide and keep getting nowhere. Please help; this is way more frustrating than it needs to be.
Lowlander

Re: I'm about to scream.

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you have the desktop version of iTunes (or its components) installed as that's required for MediaMonkey to be able to Sync to the device: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... le-device/

Just to be sure, make sure the device is attached via cable to your PC when you want to Sync.
popculturella

Post by popculturella »

I'm fairly sure it's the desktop version (and not the Windows Store) one; how do I definitively tell?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not sure if there is a better way, but in the Window Store use the 3 dots > My Library > Installed. It shouldn't show there.

Do you have content to be synced selected in the Device Profile for the device in MediaMonkey?

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... zation/4.0
popculturella

Post by popculturella »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm Not sure if there is a better way, but in the Window Store use the 3 dots > My Library > Installed. It shouldn't show there.

Do you have content to be synced selected in the Device Profile for the device in MediaMonkey?

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... zation/4.0
I checked via the 3 dots, no iTunes. However, when I brought up MediaMonkey to try again, it showed the little pop-up saying I needed to have the desktop version, so I completely uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it following the link on the MM wiki. No more "you need the desktop version of iTunes" popup.

When I go to Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync, it shows several iterations of "iPod" (even though I've only ever connected the same, single one), and when highlighted, the summary page says "device not connected" even though it is. The option to delete the device from the list is greyed out.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try a Portable Install of MediaMonkey in a different location and see if this can recognize your device. You don't need to scan for files, it's just a test if MM can see the device.