Issues after first-time sync to SD card

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

thathobo

Issues after first-time sync to SD card

Post by thathobo »

After going through the first-time sync to SD card process as detailed here,http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... oid_device MMA on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7, apparently known to sync properly) got stuck "scanning" files into the app for about 15 hours until the app crashed. From what I can tell, the app seems to be able to see the music that's on the phone right now, but I'm having 2 issues:

1.) It cannot see the m3u8 playlists I synced to the device, even in the Folder Browser view. (Under Device Profile>Options>Playlists for SD card, Playlist Format is set to M3U8, and "Force relative paths," "Use Linux folder separator" and "Use Unicode (UTF-8 encoding) are checked by default).
2.) When connected to MMW through USB, the device does not show up in the Media Tree, even when Windows is recognizing and can browse the device. As such, I cannot tell MMW to sync the device.
thathobo

Re: Issues after first-time sync to SD card

Post by thathobo »

Tried syncing the card again, plugging it directly into the computer (using USB adapter) and turning off the Linux folder separator formatting, still no good. The files copy over, the playlists are present when viewed on the phone's file viewer, but MMA can't detect them.

Still no luck getting MMW to recognize the device when plugged in through USB, either, only when the card is plugged in directly.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Please copy/paste content of one M3U file here by using "</>" and then copy content in it?
MMA do not see the M3U files as tracks paths do not point to right files. After you sync to SDcard Directly and conect it to device use WiFi sync to resync Playlist only.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
thathobo

Post by thathobo »

After changing the file format to M3U instead of M3U8 and resyncing directly to the card, MMA was able to see the playlists. This may be less than ideal because my library contains many songs with foreign characters in the name or filename, but I haven't been able to fully test this for errors yet. There appear to have been some sync errors because some metadata was not copied over, even on tracks that are in English only (often the Song Title or Artist info did not copy). I can now mostly use my library on my phone, but MMW still cannot see the device when the phone is plugged in through USB, only when the SD card is inserted directly, and this alongside the metadata errors make this an imperfect solution.

I unfortunately do not know what you mean when you say to copy the contents of a playlist 'using "</>" .' Can you elaborate?

I am presently attempting to sync the playlists over Wifi and will post once I have results, but there are many thousands of items in my playlists and thus Wifi Sync may not be a workable solution; the process has been running for some time now and shows very little progress.
thathobo

Post by thathobo »

The wireless sync seems to have fixed the metadata on a number of tracks, as well as fixing playback on some others. Several tracks with Japanese metadata synced fine as well, which is a good sign. Not sure why doing the wifi sync after the SD card sync was a necessary step - if there's a way to avoid having to do both kinds of syncs in the future, that would be good. This was extremely inconvenient and took a very long time.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No unfortunately ATM. Problem is in the way how MTP protocol is made (when you connect device directly over USB). Also when you directly copy to SDcard on PC device Media Scanner needs to re-init tracks and then MMA needs to pair them with MMW library and teh fastest way is to use WiFi sync, which uses our own solution and communication to ensure accuracy.

We are planning to address even USB and SDcard sync behavior in MMA 2.0, but as MMA 2.0 is still in pre-Alpha build so it will take some time to see it in public.

One of biggest showstops for MMA 2.0 is that MM5 is not yet fully released and MMW can not support that type of syncing.
Best regards,
Peke
thathobo

Post by thathobo »

OK, good to know.

I am now experiencing a different type of problem - while MMA can see the playlists and play songs from them, if you add the tracks to the "now playing" list (as I did by hitting the Shuffle button) after 2 or 3 songs MMA stops playing songs and freezes entirely, all its controls locking up. The only way to restore functionality is by clearing the device's memory by using the phone's settings menu or by restarting the phone. Is this a known issue?

I am thinking that at this point maybe I should restart from scratch and do USB syncing only if these issues persist. Would this be advisable, and if so, how is this possible?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It could be access issue, please when you clear phone memory (guess started apps) Start MMA again and immediately use ⋮ -> About MediaMonkey -> Send Logs -> Write log ID here -> Tap OK. It should send us last few messages and events MMA took.
Best regards,
Peke