MediaMonkey and the FiiO M9

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ZilsXafwubre

MediaMonkey and the FiiO M9

Post by ZilsXafwubre »

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone have any idea how to synch playlists to a Fiio M9, or if this is even possible?

I've tried the default settings on MM and various other configurations from user here, but MM just gets stuck on "Synchronising Fiio M9- M9 Micro SD: Preparing list of files". I'm only doing a test synch of several playlists.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Peke

Re: Synch playlists from MM to FiiO M9

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If Playlists are Auto-Playlists it can take time to create list of all files and make sure they are not duplicated on sync.

Can you please open support ticket and supply us with debug logs as described at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=12&t=69 could help us to determine where things stopped.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ZilsXafwubre

Re: Synch playlists from MM to FiiO M9

Post by ZilsXafwubre »

Thanks for your prompt response Pavle/Peke, much appreciated.

I have over 200Gb of music that I've synched using MM to a 400GB micro SD card within the FiiO M9, and as you suggested, it took a while to synch - about 20 minutes just to prepare the list of files. This would of course be due to a range of things, so now that I'm aware I'll just have to be patient. It would be nice if MM had some progress bar showing the file prep status but I realise that this may not be possible.

Once the file prep happened all went well, except for the synch dropping out occasionally. In these cases hitting the 'autosynch' button again soon set it running without having to do a rescan.

I used the default settings on the Auto-synch (library) options for playlists and the playlists I'd selected in MM synched perfectly. The playlists can then be found in the base directory of the M9's card using the file explorer approach on the M9, and to my delight the playlists are linked to the songs in the folders and they play as they should.

However, I have since wrestled with a raft of issues with song file tags, which is probably a common thread but I'm posting this in case other FiiO M9 users who are synching with MM experience similar issues. It is probably some issue re the M9 not updating its 'library' correctly rather than Media Monkey, I've given up trying to figure it out. Sequence of frustration listed below.

1. Synch as above, all fine. Later, change some files in MM database - example, add new tracks or change the tags on some existing files.
2. Synch again with MM. then scan for new files on M9. After scan, see that old folders and files are not removed, new tags have not been updated.
3. Clear library database on M9, re-scan files in the M9, same problem.
4. Attach M9 to computer - on this I can see that the M9 after the synch has NOT updated the actual files, anything with changed metadata/tags etc has not been replaced.
5. Physically delete those folders from the M9 (either via file management on M9 or on computer), synch in MM again, re-scan and the folders are there and the data is OK.
6. So, for this to work, you have to physically remove the old files from the M9 before synching, and this is just not feasible.
7. I take the SD card out of M9 and use a folder synch program to add all the audio files. Put card back in M9, scan picks all up OK.
8. However, I have now lost ALL playlist data from MM.
9. Hook M9 back to computer and turn on MM. Just click the 'synch playlists' tab in MM and uncheck 'delete all other files from media player'. MM (in coloured bars at bottom of screen) all files on the M9 as 'other files', ie NOT as yellow audio files (they obviously have no link to MM database).
10. After 30 minutes of 'preparing files' MM then slowly replaces the 'other files' bar at bottom with white 'audio' files. I cannot wait for this to complete, especially if it then attempts to delete the files on the SD card and replace them with linked audio files from MM.
11. I am back where I started with no idea how to synch playlists to the M9.
12. Groan. Anyone have any ideas?

Another update 13/12/2018

OK, so the easiest way to add the playlists to the M9, given the above debacle, is as follows:

1. Create your playlists in MediaMonkey.
2. Set up a folder on your M9 SD card called PLAYLISTS (separate to your MUSIC folder).
3. Set up a sub-folder in that SD card playlist folder for each new playlist you're going to copy over.
4. In MediaMonkey, highlight all the songs in the particular playlist.
5. Click on TOOLS>AUTO-ORGANISE FILES.
6. Check the 'copy files to new destination' button. To make sure files arrive in the same order as in the playlist, set up the destination directory in the space available and add <Auto Number> (add other bits if you want track name included etc).
7. On the M9, navigate using the Folders option (not 'music') to the sub-directories in the folder named Playlists, and play the files.
8. That's as simple as I can get it.
DMLCo

FiiO M9

Post by DMLCo »

Wanted to share my experience with the Fiio M9 (my at-long-last replacement for a beloved 80GB iPod).

It works. That's the big thing. I've seen other posts of people struggling with FiiO devices, so I thought this might be useful to some of them. First thing I did was avoid the FiiO music app at all costs.

Instead, I installed MM on the M9 by installing the apk from https://fiio.com/newsinfo/91534.html (you need to copy the .apk file to the device manually, then run it).

Once installed, MM asked me where the files should go, I pointed it to the microSD card I had inserted, and we were off.

I was able to sync via wifi by customizing the "connection" in TOOLS \ MEDIA SHARING ... pick the connection ... OPTIONS. Limiting the playlists to synch via those settings worked immediately, and cut out some problems I had with a direct cable connection.

So, that's the good news! Clearly workable. Here are the questions / issues

* It's *very* slow. Any way to speed up the synch process?
* Whenever MM starts up, it takes about 10 minutes to be ready. There is a spinning arrow at the top of the interface, and if I try to synch while that is still spinning, it tells me "synch is waiting for background processes to finish." What is that and is there a way to configure it?
* Most importantly perhaps, the MM Amazon Store doesn't work on the M9. SO ... I cannot purchase the full Android version, which would unlock wifi synch beyond the 15 day trial. How do I send MM some $ and use the "full version" on the M9?
This used to show my recently played tracks. Sad to see @lozzd's tool go dark.
Peke

Re: MediaMonkey and the FiiO M9

Post by Peke »

Hi,
APK on FiiO server is old. Can you please open support ticket and write down Ticket ID here on send me PM so that we can go into more details?
Best regards,
Peke
DMLCo

Post by DMLCo »

PM sent.

Also, a fourth question: the M9 won't connect in order to synch if MM is not running, even though I have installed MM as a service. That one may be my misunderstanding of what that does.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Service does not do USB sync on the PC, it does do DLNA and wifi sync.
DMLCo

Post by DMLCo »

Yeah, this is by wifi.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Most likely Service is under different credentials and firewall rules.

Save settings on MMA (LONG TAP on MM Server -> SAVE) while MM is Open and try to use it when MM is active in background as Service.
Best regards,
Peke
DMLCo

Post by DMLCo »

@Peke, settings saved, will update with results.

Any update on the upgrade/licensing issue? I have 10 days left on the "trial." There must be a way I can purchase an "unlocked" .apk outside of the Google Store, if that cannot work on the device?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No, still not available to buy MMA outside Play or Amazon stores.
Best regards,
Peke
DMLCo

Post by DMLCo »

An update. My FiiO updated a few days ago.

Now, when I try to upgrade, I am taking to a different screen--it lists the various add-on purchases and the cost. That's new.

Clicking an option leads to a cannot find Google Play Store message, so still can't complete the purchase, but I was wondering if the change in how it behaves is at all useful to MM being able to solve this (and, hence, letting me and others send you money).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
on FiiO devices you can use Google store to buy MMA it is already confirmed by several users. Do you have correct google Account set on M9?
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
An update.

Looks like you wwill need latest firmware http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewth ... 883&page=1 and based on this info https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-re ... imitation/ APP limit is removed.

Personally I think that M11-M15 Play store update http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45416 can be modified to work with latest M9 firmware, but I do not have Device to do it. So you can try it on your own risk (I or Ventis can't be reliable for any damage) and make sure you know how to factory reset device in case you soft brick it.

FYI: Device ID you can download from https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evozi/device-id/ that is needed for you to register/certify Device on Google play if it throws device is not certified.
Best regards,
Peke
DMLCo

Post by DMLCo »

As you may guess, I got all excited here ...

The firmware update installed with no issues. But the Play Store still did not appear, and MM still shows the _not found_ message when trying to purchase. I tried to install both the store and Google Play services (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-in ... 6-release/ and https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-in ... -download/). Both apk's ran without any error, but again, no Google Play Store or Services appears.

I am happy to keep mucking around with it as a guinea pig--I do know how to do the factory reset, and that doesn't worry me terribly if we need to do it.

But I could use some help.

I'll ask again as well: given that FiiO is now "friendly" with the Google Store, is there another way to directly purchase a "full" .apk from MM?