Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by Peke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Buruan wrote:I synch to a sd card that is directly inserted into my PC, then take that SD card to my phone, and reconnect.
MMW identifies this as a new device and wants to synch the entire library.
I would like to have a way to force it to actually identify differences and only synch missing songs (unidirectional to the phone).
Or even easier, just force it to assume the two devices are synched and only transfer subsequent changes.

Hope I am making sense.
Finally yes, that is the problem to have correct previous sync info you need to sync directly to phone MMW -> MMA as MMA database will track what is in sync and what is not 100% Adding SD like you pointed is just external HDD and it is handled that way, not like sync device. This is one of reasons why MTP is introduced in first place.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Buruan

Post by Buruan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:04 pm

I get what you're saying about switching from SD card connected directly to SD card connected within the phone.

But it doesnt work if I keep it in the phone only, either.

I synch my library
I resynch (nothing has changed, same phone, same library, MMW 4.1.0.1610 and MMA installed)
it tries to resynch the ENTIRE library, not recognizing ANY of the tunes that were synched prior.

This is VIA MTP.

I can try a wireless synch, but it takes ages... i have over 10k songs....

Peke

Post by Peke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:29 pm

I have 85k library and synchronized 7k to Nexus 7 (JB 4.2.1) and 4k to My LG phone (ICS 4.0.3) than I was done resync and no tracks needed to be resync.

I would suggest you to Install MMW as portable, import smaller number of tracks eg. few hundreds. Do sync over USB to MMA and resync to see if it resync tracks again?

How big SD is, as there are reports of issues with 32+GB cards?
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Buruan

Post by Buruan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Peke wrote: Install MMW as portable
What is MMW as portable? Never heard of this before.

This happens on all synch attempts, even with a smaller list of tracks.

This is already acknowledged by Ludek as a bug based on the logs I submitted.
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10202

The card is a 64GB.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm

MMW is MediaMonkey for Windows (ie. regular MediaMonkey) which since version 4 allows you to choose Portable Install during installation. This means it is self contained and won't affect other MediaMonkey installations on your PC.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Buruan

Post by Buruan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Learn something new every day....

I never saw that option, then again I never really paid attention.

Buruan

Post by Buruan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:17 pm

This seems to be getting worse with every release.

MMW 4.1.0.1614
MMA 1.0.1.080

Now i cant even get to the point of starting the sync.

I deleted all profiles in MMW all folders on GS3.
Connected via USB and it recognized the phone and card.

When working in MMW in device profiles, things run really slow. Sometimes it crashes (trying to find steps to reproduce).
Synching does not work, once I try it doesnt do anything.

What I have noticed is that MMW and MMA are giving conflicting statements as to what is the Phone Memory and what is the Card Memory.
What MMA thinks is the card is actually the phone and vice versa.

Ill keep going but this is a frustrating experience.
Not your fault, i think this is samsungs crappy drivers and idiotic decision where to hook the SD Card

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 am

Some post in here rusty said to try syncing with mma 81. Which is to have better luck the with 80. But 81 aint out yet.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Buruan

Post by Buruan » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:37 am

I'll give that a try. Thanks RC.

Quick update, when uninstalling MMA completely, the synch actually works.
So this seems a MMA issue rather than a MMW issue.

schwinn8

Post by schwinn8 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Update: Verizon S3 was updated to Jellybean this weekend. Now, when the phone is connected to MM, it shows that it's scanning, and it takes forever. Looking at debugview shows that it's scanning the music, one at a time, and takes about 4-seconds per song to do this. With about 2,000 songs, this will take quite a long time. Again, what's up with the long scanning?!

I guess I have to try a different beta version now, as this is unusable. Before, with ICS, it took a while, but not THIS long.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Send a debug log (step 4b) capturing the connection of the device and the long scan to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341

schwinn8

Post by schwinn8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:41 am

I have collected the log, and still need to send it in (it's o a different computer. Briefly, what I see is that the scan is fast, until it hits the first .pla file. From there, it takes 4 seconds per song. This is with the release version of the software, which worked ok for me until now (4.0.7.1511 I believe)

A few related questions:
Is there a way to cancel the scan cleanly? I don't want to wait hours for the scan to finish, but there seems to be no way for me to quit out. Ending the task causes problems, requiring me to reboot winows (xp).

Is there a lift of BKPs (best known practices) for this device? I don't want to rehash known/solved problems for no reason.

Fyi, Samsung has newer drivers for MTP than what I had before. These didn't help the problem.

Buruan

Post by Buruan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 pm

schwinn8 wrote:I have collected the log, and still need to send it in (it's o a different computer. Briefly, what I see is that the scan is fast, until it hits the first .pla file. From there, it takes 4 seconds per song. This is with the release version of the software, which worked ok for me until now (4.0.7.1511 I believe)
A few related questions:
Is there a way to cancel the scan cleanly? I don't want to wait hours for the scan to finish, but there seems to be no way for me to quit out. Ending the task causes problems, requiring me to reboot winows (xp).
Is there a lift of BKPs (best known practices) for this device? I don't want to rehash known/solved problems for no reason.
Fyi, Samsung has newer drivers for MTP than what I had before. These didn't help the problem.

This is exactly how it manifests for me as well on an AT&T S3 with Jelly Bean 4.1.1
It is faster for me to simply wipe my SD card and transfer all songs (~10k) than use the synch function.
I have sumbitted logs on the above, but have not been able to restest with the latest MMW build.
I have tried all drivers i can find, with no improvement on any end.

I do second the request for Terminating the scan cleanly. Currently the only way is to unplug the device, Kill MMW via Task Manager and reboot.

It never worked well, but the problems have gotten worse with the 4.1 builds.
Now many times when i try to synch, it doesnt identify prior synchs and wants to re-synch the entire library again....
I also have a S2, will try to test with this one to see if there are differences.

MMA currently doesnt work for me either (separate thread in the MMA forum) as it doesnt recognize the SD card vs. Phone Memory properly....

I am one more setback away from rooting the S3 to be able to use it in UMS mode.

schwinn8

Post by schwinn8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Lowlander wrote:Send a debug log (step 4b) capturing the connection of the device and the long scan to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
Upon reading the log file submission process, I see it's asking for "the latest beta" version to be used. I'm using a RELEASE version. Do you still want me to submit the logfile?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:35 pm

As there are several changes to syncing in MediaMonkey 4.1 it would be best to test and log with the latest beta of MediaMonkey 4.1. However you can still send the log for 4.0.7 to support as the developers may have use for it.