Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

MarkC

Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by MarkC »

Attempting to sync to a sandisk sdxc card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... 00_s00_i01) in a Galaxy S3 and am having problems, wondering if there is an issue with the card..

Put the card in the phone, formatted it, shows 59gb free.
Use media monkey to sync all my music (over 8000 tracks) to a directory called music.
Now have about 24gb free on the card
Phone works fine, can see all the music, play tracks and so on.
Ripped a new cd
Plug phone back in, tell media money to sync. It says there isn't enough room on the card and asks if I want to continue anyway ? hit yes and it starts trying to copy something like 7980 tracks to the card.. so I quit.
If I look at the content of the card in media monkey there are only about 40 tracks shown.. if I look via windows explorer it shows the same, although space used/free on the card is correct.
Delete everything from the card I can see with window explorer, unplug/plug back in.
Now other tracks that didn't show before now shows in explorer and media monkey ? still only a handful of tracks though.
I can keep repeating this, new stuff shows every time.
Windows reports the correct amount of free space on the card, but properties of the music folder does not show the correct number of files/folders.

Any suggestions ?

I have just formatted the card again and am re-syncing the lot.

I don't think media monkey is at fault, I think windows doesn't like the card for some reason ?
Lowlander

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

Apologies, should of put that in the first post.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I suggest you try the latest version which is 4.0.5.1496 and go from there.
Travellinglight24

Post by Travellinglight24 »

Hi MarkC,

I have exactly the same issue, exactly the same memory card, everytime I want to sync, it's as if part of previous uploads do not show as music, a part will be under the label "other".
I am using the latest version 4.0.5.1496, Windows7, 64gb memory card on my Galaxy S3.
Did you get it resolved?

Thanks,

PierreV
rusty

Post by rusty »

I haven't yet tested with an S3, but other users have reported that it works better when configured as a USB Mass Storage device. Let me know if that helps.

-Rusty
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

I have the same setup, I will give it a try tonight, so far I only did the initial sync and it worked well..

Also, I think the USB mass storage is gone from the S3, haven't been able to find it, it used to be in debugging tool on my S2.
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

I have the same result,

Second sync, get a popup saying there isin't enought free space, i click continue anyway, the sync start but the file fly! the sync is much faster than usual. Like 5k file in 2 min.

It terminate with a diag of all my mp3, saying there is a problem copying the file + path name.

On the SD card, most of it is gone, there are 17 album there left for a total of 98 file and 655MB.

MM: 4.0.5.1496
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

Updated to latest MM, same result...

Also before sync, the bar show about half being Music and the remaining being "others"... which is wrong.. the SD is about half full.
MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

I've had my Galaxy S3 for a couple of weeks now, and just tried to synch playlists from MM (4.0.5.1496) yesterday. I recently did an in-place upgrade to this version from 4.03. Results were very poor. I tried setting options in AutoSynch and couldn't even get a single playlist to cleanly/completely synch and create a device playlist. Synching was also excruciatingly slow, and ended up hanging the app on my PC. It was showing as copying just 3 files in over an hour, but when I looked at the device after it crashed there were many more files on the phone. MetaData was also screwed up, with tags not being copied over or just not readable by the S3. I tried both Google Music and PowerAmp for playing/viewing playlists, but found no real difference between what they were able to 'see' on the phone.

Another thing that was strange was how MM read the storage locations on my Galaxy S3 (AT&T US). Two 'devices' showed up. One was called 'SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 - Card' with a capacity showing of ~12GB and also 'SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 - Phone' with a capacity of 59GB. The former is obviously my internal memory (I got the 16GB phone) and the latter is my 64GB MicroSD card. Why is the MicroSD external storage being read as 'phone' and the internal memory being read as 'Card'?

For those that used to use the "USB Mass Storage Mode", I discovered that it seems that UMS is not able to be used out-of-the-box on the S3. Further, you cannot move apps to the MicroSD card with AppMgr. Apparently you can enable it after root is achieved but I haven't done so and so can't speak to it. Samsung and Google are pointing fingers at each other on both of these issues, so be aware. One blames ICS and the other blames the hardware settings.

MM Mods/Developers - have you had a chance to work with ICS devices like the S3? I've so loved this for managing my library in a single place and syncing my iPod, iPhone, etc. I hope something can be worked out so my kick-ass Galaxy can work with this.

If I can just manually copy the songs over to the MicroSD docked in my PC, how would I create playlists that the Android and the music apps can then scan/read? Is that the only answer right now?
Thanks, all!
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

anyone know got time to report The bug as description in the report thread? by opeth11 pretty busy with Kids here but ill do it if no one else can
x-cimo

Post by x-cimo »

I submited a log file to support...

Something strange is that after the 2nd sync even windows is confused with the card... I couldn't see all the media on it, i deleted everthing and file were still shown in the phone. I formatted in windows and same, it was reporting half the capacity being used (after format..)

Formatted directly from the phone and now its blank wtih 59gb free...
Android?

Post by Android? »

I am also very interested in this issue since I am intending to buy the Galaxy S3. Does anyone else also have issues with this cell phone or with Android 4 in general?
MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

I'm happy to help out with requests for info and/or testing. I upgraded to the most recent MM build (4.06) over the weekend, but according to the notes there were no specific Android fixes.

System Info:
Toshiba Satellite Notebook
Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit (patched/updated)
MM 4.06 Library is on local HD

Device Info
Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T USA - Stock ROM (Not Rooted).
16GB Internal Storage
64GB SanDisk Class 10 MicroSD
MMGalaxyUser

Post by MMGalaxyUser »

Had to re-register as I forgot the username associated with my other e-mail. I'd really like to get this resolved and would like to help if I can.