Help with iPod sync for a newb...

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Gretchen

Help with iPod sync for a newb...

Post by Gretchen »

Okay - I've installed the beta MM 4.0.5.1492

I'm not sure how to get my ipod to sync properly. It shows up and I tried to sync a playlist...it shows in the bottom - copying file 1 of 494 and appears to go through the entire list... but when I look on the ipod - it has no music.

Where is it going? Help! :-)
Lowlander

Re: Help with iPod sync for a newb...

Post by Lowlander »

Try deleting all content of device in MediaMonkey, then sync single track in iTunes. After this you can use AutoSync to sync files to the device: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... zation/4.0
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Oh dang... for some reason I thought I could do it without ever installing iTunes...

Is there no work around? I HATE iTunes!!!

If I DO have to install iTunes - is there a recent set of instructions that I can use to be assured that it won't screw up my pristine MM database that I've worked SO HARD on getting beautiful? Or create duplicates? Or generally piss me off? Haha!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What iPod model do you have?
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Ummm... All I know is that it's a touch... (I think they call it 4th gen?) and I have reset it and updated it to the latest OS (5.1 something?)

I have broken down and installed iTunes... but I'm hesitant to even OPEN MM yet... iTunes is showing all my songs in the library but I never told it to search for songs!!! How the heck did they all just SHOW UP! So annoying.... trying not to panic... maybe it saw them from a previous install???

Maybe it's the control freak in me but I really HATE the way Apple just does stuff without asking!
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Okay - I found the files iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Library.xml files and deleted both... now my iTunes looks squeeky clean and I've unchecked just about anything I can uncheck! Hopefully... it will play nice now!

So.... now what? Should I point iTunes to my music folder... or no?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

iPod Touch requires iTunes to be installed. Just make sure you set it to manually manage the iPod Touch and you don't need to run iTunes again.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Also... I've made my iTunes settings for the most part match the instructions given here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... zation/4.0

But... I couldn't find this option under settings:
'Enable disk use'

Also didn't see this option under Music:
Enable 'Display Album Artwork on your iPod'

(are these little updates annoying? Should I just edit one message?) :oops:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Don't worry, those were probably found in older iTunes versions.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

OH My goodness it's working!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So excited! Thanks for your help! I'm not syncing anything automatically... (again - control freak) I'm just right clicking and send to... BUT IT WORKS!!!

Sending a playlist to the iPod from MM works great... the playlist displays (and plays) correctly on the device. The only thing that doesn't seem to work (in my 5 min of testing) is navigating to the device in MM and looking at playlists... it gets stuck on Reading files. Music shows up fine - but playlists don't. But I don't care! I can clear those on the device itself!

THANKS so much for the help!!! Guess all I needed was a little hand holding! Thanks for being nice!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

AutoSync need to be enabled in the device profile.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Ahhhh okay - gotcha... I'll just leave things as they are and see how that goes for a while. If necessary later I might be brave and enable a little auto-sync action! :-)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can leave the option to Auto-Sync on device connection disabled and manually start AutoSync.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

Yeah... I know... but I'm just not ready to go that far yet! Maybe after dinner and a movie! Haha! :lol: