IPhone OS4 Fix Date????

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

paulmt

Re: IPhone OS4 Fix Date????

Post by paulmt »

I can understand the frustration being vented here. I have iPod Touch with iOS4 and can't use MM.
I don't mind however because a while ago I decided that waiting for MM to catch up to the ever increasing software maneuvering that Apple are doing was a waste of time.
I don't use MM now for my iPod I use iTunes. I use iTFW to monitor an external drive that I have included in my MM library backup, this updates iTunes database automatically and means my entire 100k plus music collection is available for syncing. It's not perfect but works for me and I'm happy with this. I don't need MM to be up to date with iTunes or iPOD Software/firmware.

I think that MM will always be in a catch up scenario that in my opinion on succeeds in keeping the developers away from improving the music manger part of MM that I love and want.
I for one would gladly see iPOD compatibility dropped and more concentrated effort put into developing the management side of things.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

paulmt wrote: I think that MM will always be in a catch up scenario that in my opinion on succeeds in keeping the developers away from improving the music manger part of MM that I love and want.
I for one would gladly see iPOD compatibility dropped and more concentrated effort put into developing the management side of things.
+1
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Jester7896

Post by Jester7896 »

Wow.... I know I am disappointed about having to revert to Itunes for a time but some of you folks need to take it easy. Give them a bit to take care of the issues. MM is still hands down a better player/organizer than Itunes ever dreamed of being. Easy on the false adverts claims.
Sphexi

Post by Sphexi »

I'm more than happy to wait patiently for MediaMonkey to get a fix out. I totally understand the issue they're having, and the software itself is totally worth waiting a little bit to get working. Who needs to constantly sync up their phone anyway? Mine is only the 8GB 3G model, I don't have the ability to listen to that much music in a month, and it won't take that long to get fixed.

Also, about half the apps I have downloaded on my phone still aren't fixed, and it'll be another few days to a week before Apple approves the updates they're working on. This is a common issue, people who take the time to sit down and actually think about it understand that.
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

My apologies to MM for this.... I'm just an old end user that some of you may remember... but it needs to be said.

I clicked on this thread to possibly see some news about the progress, and all I see is crying whiners who don't understand software development. How many times do you need to read that Apple doesn't provide this stuff to 3rd party developers outside of the iPhone/iPad developers realm? MM is a Windows program. Apple doesn't give a rat about Windows programmers. In fact, they purposely make it difficult to stay on the bleeding edge.

If you think bit***ng and threatening to leave, taking all your friends with you, is going to speed up your final satisfaction then you have another thing coming to you. It is what it is and it's done when it's done. Wah! Get your money back and go away.
ClayM

Post by ClayM »

The only thing about people bitching is people bitching about people bitching :)

I think most people understand that it takes some work, but people being frustrated because they can't sync their devices is quite understandable.

A little more feedback from the MM guys would be nice, perhaps a target date or something. Sitting around twiddling one's thumb can be frustrating.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well this would be an ASAP release so giving out dates would only result in them being passed without a release and then you really have frustration. As soon as this is figured out by the developers a release will made. I'm pretty sure that by the time they can give a good release date that they can actually make the release itself.
dswicegood

Post by dswicegood »

http://www.companionlink.com/

first google hit for syncing with iphone 4, I am sure that there are many more....
Peke

Post by Peke »

That is not Media Management Application but from brief look it sync address books and mails with various sites. To narrow the search be in MediaMonkey like products type range.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
agraham

Post by agraham »

dwicegood I agree with you that MediaMonkey uses false advertising but the fact is you don't know what you're talking about.
They should have an asterisk on the front page saying exactly which iPhones they sync with. That number is currently shrinking as people upgrade to iOS4 and that statement becomes more and more of a lie.
However, if you use that "first google hit for syncing with iphone 4" to look into the file system of the iPhone you will see that the names of the music files on the iPhone are scrambled. Furthermore there is a database that matches the scrambled filenames to metadata.
You can copy media on and off the phone to your hearts content, but it wont do you a bit of good until you crack that database format.
If you think that's so easy why don't you just do it and save us all a lot of time?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

dswicegood wrote:http://www.companionlink.com/

first google hit for syncing with iphone 4, I am sure that there are many more....
Does not sync media, only contacts, calendar, and tasks.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

agraham wrote:dwicegood I agree with you that MediaMonkey uses false advertising but the fact is you don't know what you're talking about. They should have an asterisk on the front page saying exactly which iPhones they sync with.
Take a look at the actual feature page. There IS an asterisk with a link to a page of supported devices. You'll notice iPhone 4 is not listed.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/#syncronize
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

Jester7896 wrote:Wow.... I know I am disappointed about having to revert to Itunes for a time but some of you folks need to take it easy. Give them a bit to take care of the issues. MM is still hands down a better player/organizer than Itunes ever dreamed of being. Easy on the false adverts claims.
agree 110%

guys, you need to chill out a bit! well, a LOT actually! all this nonsense about iOS4 being available for months etc... well, erm, that was beta software. I used every single version of it. and, as is the course with beta releases, things change along the way. would you really want the MM dev's to work their backsides off to get something working with beta 1 only for it to be screwed up again 2 weeks later with beta 2? the GM release was beta 5 this time. By default MM blocks syncing with 'unknown' iphone OS versions - this is a good thing. the major issue we saw was when iTunes 9.2 was released which caused a crash of MM once an iDevice was connected - this is NOT an iOS4 issue - it is an iTunes issue. 9.2 for windows was released a couple of days before iOS4 was officially released to public - a fix for this was released VERY quickly.

now we are just waiting for iOS4 syncing. however, as stated in many threads, the iDevice syncing in MM relies on reverse engineering the iTunes code etc - there is no official documentation for this so until final versions are released there is no point working on anything. i fully trust that the MM guys will get this sorted at some point. but, until then, i have the option of using apple software to sync my apple devices. it's not so hard, is it? device syncing, to me, is a relatively small function of MM - the awesome tagging and management capabilities are second to none.

let's keep things in perspective shall we?

MaFt
http://maft.co.uk
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

dswicegood wrote:http://www.companionlink.com/

LMAO - have you seen what it syncs? calendar and contacts... doesn't really help Media Monkey does it?
http://maft.co.uk
Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

dswicegood wrote:Buddy, I have been writing software for over 15 years professionally and am well aware of vendor compatibility woes
yeah, well, I am a lawyer and what you're posting is slander and you could go to jail for a hundred years.

Or, if sarcasm isn't your thing: I don't believe you've ever written a line of code, because no software developer that spends his time reverse-engineering super-complicated stuff would come on here and bash the MM developers because they haven't been able to instantly reverse engineer a platform that is specifically designed to keep them out. If what you're posting was at all true, you'd be a lot more understanding.

Or you could be a huge entitled jerk. I guess that's another option.