iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Atreyu

Re: iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Post by Atreyu »

Wow I was the 12th signer, that will certainly get their attention!
azblk

Post by azblk »

Hello guys I have been following this for sometime so far and it seems a solution has been found by another program at xilisoft. It is not close to MM in elegance but it gets the job done. Maybe the MM developers would like to take a look at those peoples code and see what the new DB is like.
Last edited by azblk on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AjP

Post by AjP »

azblk wrote:Hello guys I have been following this for sometime so far and i seems a solution has been found by another program at xilisoft. It is not close to mm but it gets the job done. Maybe MM developers would like to take a look at those peoples code and see what the new DB is like.
Do you have a copy of the programs source code, it doesn't look like an open source project to me
Atreyu

Post by Atreyu »

Maybe it will suffice to eavesdrop on the device communication to figure out the DB hash, but probably that's thinking too simply.

It might also be a clue that iTunes 8.2 is prerequisite software .
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

azblk wrote:Hello guys I have been following this for sometime so far and it seems a solution has been found by another program at xilisoft. It is not close to MM in elegance but it gets the job done. Maybe the MM developers would like to take a look at those peoples code and see what the new DB is like.
I just downloaded and tried xilisoft iphone transfer and it detected my ipod touch as having 500mb capacity (its a 32gb with almost nothing on it since I upgraded to 3.0), couldn't see any of the music or photos on the pod and when I transferred an album onto it, it didn't appear on the ipod even though the app said it was successfully transferred... (the trial version is meant to be able to do up to 100 transfers, so even in trial mode it should have done more than it did).

unless someone else has had a remarkably different experience, I'd look for something else to model off ...
azblk

Post by azblk »

moonglow wrote:
azblk wrote:Hello guys I have been following this for sometime so far and it seems a solution has been found by another program at xilisoft. It is not close to MM in elegance but it gets the job done. Maybe the MM developers would like to take a look at those peoples code and see what the new DB is like.
I just downloaded and tried xilisoft iphone transfer and it detected my ipod touch as having 500mb capacity (its a 32gb with almost nothing on it since I upgraded to 3.0), couldn't see any of the music or photos on the pod and when I transferred an album onto it, it didn't appear on the ipod even though the app said it was successfully transferred... (the trial version is meant to be able to do up to 100 transfers, so even in trial mode it should have done more than it did).

unless someone else has had a remarkably different experience, I'd look for something else to model off ...
I used the iphone transfer to move some songs and videos onto my iphone3G running os 3.0. It worked well enough and the ipod on the iphone could see and play the songs and videos. I did not like the interface or how it worked but the point is it did work on my phone telling me that some else had managed to figure out the new DB structure and/or name. It seems to me that MM can move songs onto the iphone but the DB name and/or structure has changed hence the ipod can not see the media added by MM.
epromx

Post by epromx »

so now what MM needs to do is reverse engeniiring this xilisoft crap soft, i think the new update on MM for 3.0 OS is almost coming out.

let´s hope...

Post by Guest »

azblk wrote: I used the iphone transfer to move some songs and videos onto my iphone3G running os 3.0. It worked well enough and the ipod on the iphone could see and play the songs and videos. I did not like the interface or how it worked but the point is it did work on my phone telling me that some else had managed to figure out the new DB structure and/or name. It seems to me that MM can move songs onto the iphone but the DB name and/or structure has changed hence the ipod can not see the media added by MM.
Nuts, I guess that mean's I've got something else weird going on with my pod too - as well as not working with MM now (at least everyone else is sharing that problem, misery and company and all that :)
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

ps last guest post = me :)
markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker »

I too am suffering with OS 3.0 breaking my iPhone synchronisation. I am working on a script to automatically export my Playlists into iTunes.
markstuartwalker

Here is the work in progress (and it may not even work in this encarnation). This is a shameless rip of the "Export to iTunes library-xml" sub routines.

Also note
* that you need iTunes and MM loaded on the same machine. Before running the script I manually delete all the playlist content in iTunes.
* I use iTunes in 'only selected playlists mode'
* iTunes 8.2 seems to 'understand' about duplicate files. If the same mp3 exists in several playlists it only loads in once.

sub export
if SDB.Objects(EXPORTING) is nothing then
SDB.Objects(EXPORTING) = SDB
else
MsgBox SDB.Localize("iTunes export is already in progress."), 64, "iTunes Export Script"
exit sub
end if

dim iter, songCount, progress, song, playlistCount
dim progressText, i, j, playlist

set iter = SDB.Database.OpenSQL("select count(*) from SONGS")
songCount = Int(iter.ValueByIndex(0)) ' needed for progress
set iter = SDB.Database.OpenSQL("select count(*) from PLAYLISTS")
playlistCount = CInt(iter.ValueByIndex(0))

set progress = SDB.Progress

progressText = SDB.Localize("Building playlist index ...")
Progress.Text = progressText
Progress.MaxValue = playlistCount

dim iTunes

SDB.ProcessMessages

if playlistCount > 0 and not Progress.Terminate and not Script.Terminate then

' Get playlists and store them into an array. Make sure that we do not have
' an open query while playlist.Tracks is evaluated because that will fail
' (it wants to start a db transaction but can't because a query is still open)
dim playlists()
set iter = SDB.Database.OpenSQL("select PlaylistName from PLAYLISTS")
i = 0
while not iter.EOF
set playlist = SDB.PlaylistByTitle(iter.StringByIndex(0))
if playlist.Title <> "Accessible Tracks" then ' this would correspond to iTunes' "Library" playlist
redim preserve playlists(i)
set playlists(i) = playlist
songCount = songCount + playlist.tracks.count
'if playlist.Title = "iPhone" then
' set iplaylist = playlist
'end if
i = i + 1
end if
iter.next
wend
set iter = nothing

set iTunes = CreateObject("iTunes.Application")

progressText = SDB.Localize("Exporting to iTunes ...")
Progress.Text = progressText
Progress.MaxValue = songCount

dim itFolder
set itFolder = iTunes.CreateFolder("iPhone "+cstr(now))

for each playlist in playlists
i = i + 1
progress.Text = progressText & " " & SDB.LocalizedFormat("playlist ""%s"" (%s songs)", playlist.Title, CStr(playlist.tracks.Count), 0)
SDB.ProcessMessages

' if playlist.Title = "Abba" then
dim new_playlist
set new_playlist = iTunes.CreatePlaylist(playlist.Title)
dim operationStatus
for j = 0 to playlist.tracks.Count - 1
set operationStatus = new_playlist.AddFile(playlist.tracks.Item(j).path)
SDB.ProcessMessages
next

' end if
progress.Value = progress.Value + 1
if Progress.Terminate or Script.Terminate then
exit for
end if
next
end if

dim ok : ok = not Progress.Terminate and not Script.Terminate
set Progress = Nothing
on error resume next
if not ok then
fso.DeleteFile(filename) ' remove the output file if terminated
end if
SDB.Objects(EXPORTING) = nothing
end sub
div

Post by div »

What do we do with that code ?
telliott

Post by telliott »

Thanks for the code. Could you tell us exactly what it does and how to use it? If it is just to sync playlist, I also need the option to export (flac to mp3) and sync playlist to iTunes. We really need the option to make iTunes a sync device.

Tim
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

div wrote:What do we do with that code ?
See number 4:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=97
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
markstuartwalker

The idea of my script was to iterate through all the MM playlists and populate iTunes with an equivalent set of playlists containing the same tracks. You can then use iTunes to synch all or some of these playlists to the iPhone.

Unfortunately there are many drawbacks
* It is slow (about 2 seconds per track)
* It doesnt check timestamps so every playlist goes every time (making it even slower)
* It requires manual intervention within iTunes (which is distasteful in its own right)

The big plus is that IT WORKS WITH 3.0 so it can be considered as a workaround until the MM team complete a bug fix. http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5798

I'll try to put together a clunky installer script for those who dislike hand-hacking files.