Sound Quality Question

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

You know, if you'd really be willing to prove your observations I'm sure somebody would investigate the cause. But if you don't prove it there's no need to invest hours of work just to find out that there's no difference.

It's the same like with the ABX test. I already did all I could by uploading some samples and instructions to test if you echo-adding really is useful. And I also asked you if you want to send me a song so that I can prepare a test. But as long as you just say that it sounds better and don't want to prove it, it's just not true.

And some things are jsut not possible! MIDI has nothing to do with MP3, WMA and so on. If you mean that then you just don't understand how it works. Same thing as you told that the forum (or your modem) switched some characters...

But as I said: If you can prove that you hear a difference, prove it and then I'm willing to believe.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i ain't got to prove it again. and if you had the open mind to find the posts i said what i did, and do it on your system it would change your mind. unless you can't hear those 2 freq's which i think you can not hear them.
but you know if that sound font thing is caused by something going wrong on my sound card there is no way to get any file for you to test so asking to prove that is just a waste of time, and you knew that.

as for the reason the sound fonts changed this card was because it has the file load in to the synth. which changes the settings in the synth, which the synth did load them but did not like them. so it lasted an hour then crashed the drivers for the synth, that is what changed it on this computer. but its the other computer i can't figure out what changed it there. since it uses a sound bank folder for the fonts.
so it must be one to the diodes or resistors on the card that is messing up which might just be the error, but i can't afford a new sound card now.

as for you bringing up the modem. it still messes up the fonts and words. but i don't use it anymore for anything only once and a while I'll download email on dial up. i use this wireless modem now.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Post by Guest »

Mon Oct 27, 2003, somethings never change!

Post by Guest »

rovingcowboy wrote: also i found that if it is not on the song files that doing defraging the songs have a 99% chance of being messed up by the defragmenting.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yes some things never change but in the case of that statement you qouted you got the first message i did of that,
look in later messages you will find one that some one had fully explained that reason and i had agreed with him, so that is not the same thought of mine anymore i just forget sometimes and post that in new replys. but it is do to some sort of codeing error not defrag.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
judas

Post by judas »

Lol! :-)

Gotta say I love binary stuff, you know: bits and bytes...DIGITAL ERA...and BTW...I think the explanation someone did referring to the copying machine was a good analogy!
Cheers, judas
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Tell me cowboy, I am curious..

Would you tell someone to re-write their favorite book to better match how they want the story to go ?
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

Teknojnky wrote:Tell me cowboy, I am curious..

Would you tell someone to re-write their favorite book to better match how they want the story to go ?
riddle me this?
what is a book that is not read, and what is a song that is not heard.?

roving cowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi

8)
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

As I said, rc: If I were you I'd try out DFX. It's a sound enhancment for audio (they claim that it improves specoially MP3s) which works similar to your modification but is much more complex.

http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php?ve ... =0&refer=0

A lot people like that while audiophiles don't.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Big_Berny wrote:As I said, rc: If I were you I'd try out DFX. It's a sound enhancment for audio (they claim that it improves specoially MP3s) which works similar to your modification but is much more complex.

http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php?ve ... =0&refer=0

A lot people like that while audiophiles don't.
tried them they don't work as well as the wide and dynmic dsp i use on win98,

you just don't get it though. those don't help with every part of the songs. you need to get in to the wave and edit it.
8)
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

That's jsut not true. A DSP can work exactly as good as when you decode and edit the WAV. There's no difference than if the program can do that directly!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Big_Berny wrote:That's jsut not true. A DSP can work exactly as good as when you decode and edit the WAV. There's no difference than if the program can do that directly!
rovingcowboy wrote:
tried them they don't work as well as the wide and dynmic dsp i use on win98,
8)
read it again. it says they don't work AS WELL AS meaning that plugin works better for me not that it works better then the others you mentioned. 8)

and what your saying to use puts the process on the computer cpu as it is playing the song. what i do is put it in the song file before it is played and has less of an impact on the cpu when playing.
drjboulder

Post by drjboulder »

monkey hi fi wrote: riddle me this?
what is a book that is not read, and what is a song that is not heard.?
I give, what is the answer?
Pena47 wrote:Now this may seem a bit silly, but I was very confused.

Within MediaMonkey you can convert a song, and even set the new quality (kb/s). For example, I can take a song that is regularly 128 kb/s and change it to 320 kb/s, what I wanted to know is what exactly is this doing? The quality does not improve, but the file size does increase. Thanks
Wonder if Pena47 ever got his answer...
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

drjboulder wrote:

Within MediaMonkey you can convert a song, and even set the new quality (kb/s). For example, I can take a song that is regularly 128 kb/s and change it to 320 kb/s, what I wanted to know is what exactly is this doing? The quality does not improve, but the file size does increase. Thanks
Wonder if Pena47 ever got his answer...
He answered his own question.

It does absolutely nothing except increase the size and can even potentially LOSE quality (lossy to lossy). And before RC says it, no amount of echo, volume, bass or treble will restore the quality to the original source.
nohitter151

Re: Sound Quality Question

Post by nohitter151 »

nohitter151 wrote:

Its doing just what you said, making the file a larger size but with no increase in sound quality. You can never make a song sound better by converting it to a different format.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.