Restoring Files that I accidently deleted

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

benji8

Restoring Files that I accidently deleted

Post by benji8 »

Greetings,
I was not paying attention as i was working on my playlist. I thought i was deleting files from the playlist only but i was deleting it from everywhere. I was able to restore my music to the computer (since it was in my recycle folder) but what is the correct way of adding it back into my library without creating a duplicate of all my music? In addition, my library is how i want it currently. i'm not sure if i changed all the tags on the files or if that is automatic. Basically, i don't want duplicates and i don't want my songs to revert back to artist and song title under the song title and no artist in the artist column. I'm ok if only my deleted playlist songs needs to be fixed just not my entire library.

I'm using Ver 4.1.30.1914
AlanH

Re: Restoring Files that I accidently deleted

Post by AlanH »

From my understanding if you rescan the files back into MM you wont get duplicates as you had already removed them from the library and if you had auto update tags enabled the info will be saved in the tags, i think what you will you will lose is the playcount and the last played history for the removed files as thats stored in the library.
Barry4679

Re: Restoring Files that I accidently deleted

Post by Barry4679 »

AlanH wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:38 am From my understanding if you rescan the files back into MM you wont get duplicates as you had already removed them from the library and if you had auto update tags enabled the info will be saved in the tags, i think what you will you will lose is the playcount and the last played history for the removed files as thats stored in the library.
That is my understanding also, but I think that you would also invalidate all of the manual playlists.
ie. when re-added, the tracks and albums will not receive the same database IDs.

Benji8,

MM5 does have a backup function. I don't know whether it is active by default.
Check via File>ManageDatase>RestoreFromBackup .... though be sure to save a safe copy of your database before allowing it to run.

I am surprised that MM puts removed tracks into the Recycle bin. I would not have predicted that, so Well Done them.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.