MM ignores switching of Windows default audio output

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ed.j

MM ignores switching of Windows default audio output

Post by ed.j »

I use two audio outputs on my computer, one is an external soundcard (drives speakers) and the other is the internal optical output (drives headphones).

Annoyingly I need to switch between the outputs to switch between speakers and headphones.

If you change the default audio output in Windows while MM is running (on Win 10, simply by clicking the volume button in the sys tray and clicking the up arrow), MM ignores the changes regardless of whether music is playing or not. If you stop and restart the music, the change is still ignored. The only way to get MM to recognise the change is to restart MM which is really annoying.

All other audio progriams I use (Spotify, VLC etc) will immediately recognise the change and output to the default.

Using MM 4.1.31.1919 Gold. Output plugin is WASAPI.

I am aware that DirectSound and waveOut will follow the default Win 10 output, but want to use WASAPI as it should offer a bit-perfect representation of the audio.

Maybe this should be a bug report not a question?
Peke

Re: MM ignores switching of Windows default audio output

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tested MM5 and also have you tested MM4 where first to stop (not pause) playback then switch and finally start playback again?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Peke wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:44 am Hi,
Have you tested MM5 and also have you tested MM4 where first to stop (not pause) playback then switch and finally start playback again?
Hi Peke

I have tested this in MM4 by fully stopping playback, and it is the same. MM needs to be restarted in order to "notice" the change in Windows default audio output.

MM5 - I tried a while ago (maybe six months back) and if I'm honest I really didn't like the interface at all so didn't use it for long. I'll give it another go and see what happens.

Thanks Ed
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This doesn't work well in MediaMonkey 4, but just checked again in MediaMonkey 5 and it works.
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:25 pm This doesn't work well in MediaMonkey 4, but just checked again in MediaMonkey 5 and it works.
I just tried in MM5; using WASAPI, the audio will only seamlessly follow (ie continue to play) a change in Windows default audio device when it is in Exclusive mode. If it isn't in Exclusive mode, you have to stop and restart the track.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm unable to reproduce in MediaMonkey 5. In both non-exclusive and exclusive mode it switched without issue. Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:06 pm I'm unable to reproduce in MediaMonkey 5. In both non-exclusive and exclusive mode it switched without issue. Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
I'm using 4.1.31.1919 which I think is the most recent, through auto update it is anyway.

I wonder if it has something to do with how Windows handles exclusivity as well, although other apps seem to switch with no issue so I'm not sure.

Of the two audio devices I'm using, they both have both "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority" ticked in Sound -> Device properties in Windows.

In any case I guess this kind of issue is marginal and MM4 not really receiving updates due to MM5?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey 5 is the update to MediaMonkey 4, thus MediaMonkey 4 is no longer developed.