Database and Settings disappearing

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fellowcello

Database and Settings disappearing

Post by fellowcello »

I used MM last night without issue. I re-booted my PC this morning, and MM says "Welcome To MediaMonkey", etc. My library is empty, and a few settings are gone (that I've noticed, like the CD rip paths).

I found my MM.db file, and it states it was last modified today (likely when I opened MM, but possibly when I booted the PC).

This has happened a few times now, I've never really been able to fix it or understand what is happening. I thought that is was a Windows update issue, but I'm fairly sure there wasn't one today/last night.

I'm on MM 4.1.31.1919 Standard, Windows 10 Home, V2004, build 19041.867.

How do I fix/avoid this in the future?
Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Database and Settings disappearing

Post by Lowlander »

fellowcello

Re: Database and Settings disappearing

Post by fellowcello »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm This explain scenarios for this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -are-lost/
Thank you, I had seen that before but couldn't find it again.

Unfortunately, the article is outdated for Windows 10, C:\Documents and Settings is no longer a thing.
The registry entry was fine, as long as "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local" is correct (no "documents and settings").

I don't use any special cleaners, or any antivirus, other than the built-in Windows one.

I will try to install in "Portable Mode" next time.

I'm not really satisfied though- it's not normal for a program to store settings in a volatile place- or whatever is happening- and simply say that some cleaners delete things there. Or that some cleaners can change a registry value that will break the program.
I love MM, and will continue to use it, but they're doing something wrong here, IMO.