Multiple instances of MediaMonkey Gold?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sallygr

Multiple instances of MediaMonkey Gold?

Post by sallygr »

Hi,

I'm running MediaMonkey Gold (I have a lifetime license) using a library consisting of music on an external local HD. However, I now have a need to be able to play songs using a link to Sonos with the subset of files that I upload to my Network Hard Drive (which aren't currently separately indexed with MediaMonkey, but which are all contained within MediaMonkey on the local drive). Is there a way to either have a separate library and player choice based on the network drive or to run a separate instance of MediaMonkey which accesses only the files on that drive? And if I can run 2 instances, do I need a 2nd license?

[FYI - I need to use the local drive as my primary one due to living in 2 locations. I have the network/Sonos access in only one of the two locations.]

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Multiple instances of MediaMonkey Gold?

Post by Lowlander »

You can use Collections to create multiple Libraries within MediaMonkey: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Rules/4.0

You can install multiple installs on the same PC using Portable Installs and use the same License: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... -machines/
sallygr

Post by sallygr »

I had looked into collections, but it seemed like I would then have each entry in the main music library listed in duplicate since the albums /songs in one are a subset of those in the other (varying only by the drive location)? Or am misunderstanding how MediaMonkey would handle this? I'd prefer this option, but only if I don't get duplication in the main library. I have a very large library and this would be a major issue.

Good news about the multiple installs. If the collections options would lead to duplication, then I'll go that way.

Thanks for the info!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Music is also a Collection and can thus be modified to show only what you wish to be shown. Only Entire Library will always show everything in all Collections.
sallygr

Post by sallygr »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm Music is also a Collection and can thus be modified to show only what you wish to be shown. Only Entire Library will always show everything in all Collections.
Awesome! Thanks so much for all of your help! I think that I'll do a 2nd install on another computer, import a backup of my library and play around with the options. I love MediaMonkey!