Newbie - Library and playlists

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ddwcgk64

Newbie - Library and playlists

Post by ddwcgk64 »

Hello,

I have not used MM for a long time. I have Gold v. 4. When I dl'd it the other night, during set up, I skipped the 'add to library' part. Then the next day I went to 'file -- add/rescan library'. I am pretty sure that it scanned my whole PC. My intent/what I thought I had 'told' it to do -- was to just scan my music folder. So, I was surprised and disappointed because it appeared to have scanned and added everything it could from my PC's HD.

I just wanted it to scan my MUSIC folder and my initial plans where to use it strictly for playlists of Audiobooks. To my surprise it added to my MM library my playlists from my WMP 10. I can't play those in my MM. How can I convert those so that I can?

Additionally, so I have better control of what goes into my MM library - how can I set it up so that when I tell it to 'add/rescan my library' that MM just gets the files from my MUSIC folder on my PC's HD - as opposed to MM scanning my whole PC?

Finally, learning this stuff visually, works much better for me than reading directives. Does anybody know of any good videos online that I can check out so that I can learn more about MM via that medium?

Thank you very much,

Dean
Lowlander

Re: Newbie - Library and playlists

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey only scans what you tell it to, so inadvertently you selected more content than you intended.

You can remove whole folders/drives from the Music > Location node with right click, Remove. Select remove from Library only if prompted.

In the Add/Rescan Files dialog make sure you only select on the left side the folders you want scanned and that on the right side it only lists folders you want scanned (if you want to use Folder Monitoring).

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/WebHelp:
jcisgod7

Post by jcisgod7 »

Lowlander, Thank you for you time and attention.

The playlists that were in my WMP - are still listed as being there -- but they do not play. I get an error message. Here it what it says: "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted."

The names of these WMP playlists are in my MM. But when I click on them, nothing happens. Is this fixable?

I tried to rescan -- and I think I see why it scanned my whole disk. I need to learn about nodes. I hear the term and saw it in your answer, but I am not sure what it means.

I put my files into a folder called 'Sorted'. Why? I watched a youtube video. I went back to that folder preparing for another 'MM rescan', and when I told MM (via checking the box at the bottom of the 'Rescan' window) to hide 'unselected items' -- I could not just hone in/select ONLY 'Sorted'. Here is the screenshot: Well, I guess not. I got a screenshot of MM on a Word doc, but apparently I cannot put the screenshot into this reply. At least I do not know how.

So, after I selected 'hide unselected' -- I figured the only one that would show up, would be the one where my files are (ie. 'Sorted'). That was not the case. Since I cannot do the screenshot - I'll do my best to describe it:

First, there were FOUR boxes -- yet ONLY the last two were checked. However, since the first two did not hide, I was afraid that they would be part of the scan. I didn't want that.

Is the node the pointer looking thing that is beside certain files? With my tree of four (described partially above and below) the first three boxes had nodes to the left of it's file. These nodes where tilted down slightly. Yet, they DID NOT have a check in the box to the left of these items.

First, node - slightly tilted down, box UNCHECKED: 'My PC'

Second, the next node down was as the above (ie. node tilted down at an angle and box UNCHECKED) - excepted it went a bit more to the right - 'C:\[Windows]'

The third one down is a folder the youtuber told me to make: '!!!' IT DID HAVE A CHECK BY IT - it contains the folder that has my files that I now want in MM.

The fourth one down is a folder that is named 'Sorted' - IT DID HAVE A CHECK BY IT - and it is the one that has the files that I now want to be my MM library.

Again, on MM, when I selected, "Hide Unselected" -- it left me with the above four. But what confuses me is why it included the TOP TWO. And to further, 'muddy the water' -- the first two (bold above) had NO CHECK-MARK in the the GREEN box to the left of it.

My concern, although its boxes was UNCHECKED -- is that it would again -- scan my whole HD. I do not want to do that again. I just want the files in the folder titled 'Sorted'.

I didn't click anything for fear of making my problems worse. I await your directives.

Thank you,

Dean
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) WMP Playlists, they seem broken, thus you may need to rebuild them manually.

2) Screenshot: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... orum-posts (add the link with a space in the URL, we'll fix it (new users aren't allowed to post links)
jcisgod7

Post by jcisgod7 »

LowLander, thank you for your time and expertise. I will rebuild the lost playlists. Thank you.

I do not have a URL for my screenshot. It is on a Word doc. Is there a way for me to send the Word doc to you?

I feel as if I am wasting a lot of your time. I need to spend a few hours a day with MM. Get 'used' to it. Then, if/when stuck, send you a more intelligent question (ie. 'What is a node?' -- Ghez, I should know that and when I don't . . . do a google search and learn what it means.

I'll see if I can find some youtube videos that go over the 'basics'.

One question before I go, is it kind of like photoshop? IE. Once I have put pics into photoshop, leave them there and if I want to move them, move them with photoshop - correct? Continuing the photoshop analogy - I should not move pics around on my PC via file explorer. If I want to move pics around - again - do it with photoshop. Is it the same way with MM? Don't move my music files around on my PC - once they are in MM. If I want to move a music file, do it in/with MM. Otherwise, it hunts and finds a bunch of links that no longer work. Correct?

One more, it appears that my MM is not a 'touch screen' device. My PC is an HP Envy. It is a touch screen. However, that feature does not seem to work with my MM.

Thank you.

Dean
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can share a link to the file on a file share (like Dropbox).

Yes, MediaMonkey links to the files, so if you move the files that link is lost. It's best to use MediaMonkey to move the files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... enames/4.0 however Folder Monitoring on source and destination folder will allow you to move files outside of MediaMonkey and have them updated in MediaMonkey automatically if MediaMonkey is running while moving: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... he_Library

MediaMonkey may not be touch screen friendly, but it should work just like any other application. It does for me with any application on an HP touchscreen laptop.
jcisgod7

Post by jcisgod7 »

I figured out the touch screen. Thanks.

I think I figured out the screenshot.

I can't even remember why I did the 'sorted' thing. Something about it would organize one's library. Does that mean that anything in the future that I want in my MM library -- I need to make sure it is put in the 'Sorted' file?

https://dean-welsh./ (I had to remove the imgbbDOTcom that came after the last period)

I hope the above works.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm unable to figure out what the link should be.

MediaMonkey can work with your files anywhere. Many of us will use an "incoming" folder where we add our new files, edit them and then organize them within the regular library location.