importing playlist without importing mp3 files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

inmado

importing playlist without importing mp3 files

Post by inmado »

Hi!

I just migrated from iTunes to MMW. For a clean start, I copied all songs from the iTunes directory into a directory "Mediamonkey". Next, imported my M3U playlists from iTunes. However, MMW did not only create the imported playlists, but also imported the referenced MP3 files, again. I found the M3U playlist have absolute pathes to the related MP3 files. In result,I got all these files on playlists twice in MMW.

A workaround to this unwanted behaviour could be to patch the M3U files and change the absolute paths by replacing Music/iTunes by Music/Mediamonkey.

Is there any better approach?
Peke

Re: importing playlist without importing mp3 files

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It there any reason why you even copied files from itunes folder?

iTunes playlists reference to playlist in its library not copied ones, so if you import both folder you get duplicates as they are duplicate copies of existing tracks.

No, there is no easy way to change playlists as they are imported from iTunes library. The best would be to remove mediamonkey copied files (copied files from iTunes) from MM librray and use just iTunes library files.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
inmado

Post by inmado »

I copied the iTunes files into a separate folder for a clean start. It's probably not a good idea to have two programs, iTunes and MMW operating on the same set of files?! Also, I might continue to use iTunes to serve my wifes iPhone, while I am going to start using MMW.

I could imagine a playlist to reference files stored in a artist/album/song hierarchy locate below some $MUSIC root. This way, one could just create the related playlist using another $MUSIC, without importing the related mp3 files if they exist, already.

What if I patch the path in the iTunes M3U file from e.g.

C:\Users\dj\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Satin Jackets\Mirage\Mirage.mp3

to

C:\Users\dj\Music\Mediamonkey\\Satin Jackets\Mirage\Mirage.mp3

Would MMW "import" (i.e. copy) the mp3 file from its own music folder into it, again?!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
it should, as MMW will read M3U file, check for file existence and create playlist in library.

in your case I would rather export all iTunes playlists to "C:\Users\dj\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\" using relative path so instead of "C:\Users\dj\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Satin Jackets\Mirage\Mirage.mp3" playlist would contain "Satin Jackets\Mirage\Mirage.mp3" so once you copy files to "C:\Users\dj\Music\Mediamonkey\" M3U files would point to same file amd MMW should import them.
Best regards,
Peke
James_Grey_Fox

Post by James_Grey_Fox »

Hi

I also just downloaded MM to switch from itunes and I am looking for a super simple step by step guide for moving all my music and playlists (I have around 25,000 tracks and around 1000 playlists). The information here is helpful, but not detailed enough for me to have. I'm more than a bit flustered with the switch and want to be able to migrate all my lists without losing anything.
Is this out there? If so where is such a guide?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If your Playlists are GENIUS one, than unfortunately they will not be imported due the completely different engine used for playlists and you would need to exporte them first before import in MM.

Can you please let us know:
1. Where do you store you music files?
2. Are they Apple DRM tracks?
3. Do you use Genius Playlists?
4. Have you allowed export of iTunes Library and playlists?
Best regards,
Peke