Migrating from iTunes [#16036]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: Migrating from iTunes

Post by Ludek »

Thx, I can confirm your issue with your XML file, to be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16036
stevemopolis

Re: Migrating from iTunes [#16036]

Post by stevemopolis »

Thanks! I look forward to a resolution. Thanks for taking a second look and confirming the problem.

Steve
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI:
I have fixed the issue for the next build (1895).

If you want to test it right now then replace your current MediaMonkey.exe by this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7zrepakwp2fp ... y.exe?dl=0 in the MM install folder and run it.

Note that you don't need to scan all the files again, just scan a small folder and at the "Scan results" dialog select the iTunes import and link to the XML file
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

Thanks, Ludek. It seems to be working, albeit slowly. The "Importing data from iTunes... (tracks)" has been running now for about 26 hours and, judging by the green progress bar, is about 40% complete. Windows Task Manage & Performance Monitor show quite a bit of CPU and disk activity by MM so I assume it's doing something productive. I guess I'll find out in about 36 to 40 hours. :o

Edit Oct. 18 - The iTunes data import has been running for about 75 hours now and, judging by the green progress bar, is about 85 to 90% complete. The MM database has grown significantly and now sits at about 774MB and growing. So far I haven't seen any changes to the metadata on the songs so I'm hoping that happens after it finishes the import. Hopefully it won't take as long as the data importing...

Steve
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

It finally finished importing data from iTunes. It took 79 hours and during that time my MM database grew from 546MB to 788MB. After it completed there was no change to number of plays or last played date or pretty much anything else that I could see. It did import all of my iTunes playlists, though.

While it was importing tracks I briefly ran Windows Resource Monitor a few times to see if it was actually doing anything. There was lots of disk activity and MM was accessing MM.DB and several instances of MM.DB-journal but I did not see it accessing the iTunes Library.xml file.

Steve
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, that's strange that it took so long for you and that the rating/playcount was not imported.

Could you please compress (zip or rar) also your MM.DB and PM me the link to analyze?
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

I discovered that if I added a new song to iTunes, played it a couple of times and re-scanned that MM picked up the play count for that track. I backed up my MM database (just in case), deleted the database and did a fresh scan. The scan took 8 hours before it got to the iTunes part, then in the first part of the iTunes XML scan it picked up all of the play counts but not the last played date. Then it went into scanning tracks. It has been doing that for about 20 hours now and the MM database is still slowly growing. I'm going to let that finish which, if last time was an indication, will take another couple of days. If it doesn't update the last played date I'll zip up the MM database and XML file and send them to you. Other than ratings, play counts and last played date, is the XML scan importing any other data from iTunes?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Steve
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

MM finally finished scanning my library. It took about 8 hours to scan my files into a new database and 78 hours to scan my iTunes XML file. The XML scan did import all of my iTunes play counts and playlists but, once again, did not update the last played data.

Ludek, I'm sending you a PM with a link to download my MM.DB and Library.XML for you to have a look at.

Thanks!
Steve
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi Steve,
the failure of importing last played date is fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16075

If you want to test it right now then just replace your current MediaMonkey.exe by this one: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mlk1pabhk415 ... oscsa?dl=0
and test.

Re the incredibly long time to import (78 hours), that sounds really strange as it is more than 1 second per track.
I cannot replicate using your database, but I guess that it must be kind of slow access to the drive M:\ where all the tracks resides? What is the drive M:\ - is it external HDD or a network drive?
Anyhow you could generate standard debug log (using DbgView - item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69 ) and it should shed some light on it (once you send me at least part of the debug log)
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

That last patch solved the problem of the Last Played metadata. It took MM a few hours to scan my files and process the iTunes XML file to write the Last Played data to the MM database. Then it seemed like MM did a second pass over my XML file which is the pass that takes a few days to complete. I aborted the rest of the scan since I had the data I wanted and wasn't prepared to tie up my computer and MM again for a few more days. I've since migrated my music files to a different external HDD with new filenames so I no longer have a valid XML file to do any more testing.

MM seems to be working fine with about 240,000 titles in the database although I have had it freeze up a couple of times requiring a forced shutdown and restart of the app. This usually only happens when I try to have MM doing multiple concurrent tasks. Now to tackle MM for Android...

I want to offer a huge thank you to Ludek and Peke for all of their support and rapid deployment of bug fixes to address my issues. You folks rock!

Steve in sunny Vancouver
Lerxyst

Post by Lerxyst »

Hello, I'm having virtually the same problem. Just installed MediaMonkey 4.1.28.1905. From iTunes, I created an XML export of my iTunes library. I go through the add/rescan, and specify "Import missing..." from iTunes. It runs pretty quickly, and does not import Ratings, Last PLayed, PlayCount. It does import all my playlists but they are all empty, both manual and smart playlists. I've opened the xml file and it appears to have the data, so I'm not sure what is going wrong.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Only way (I can think off) that MM playlists are empty would be that files in playlists are not accessible is place specified in XML.

Check one file from Playlists and see if you can physically locate it?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

My solution for playlists:
1. Close MM
2.Use Windows Explorer to create a folder that is not monitored by MM (e.g. XYZ)
3. Open iTunes (I'm testing with version 12.10.2.3.)
4. Export playlist for playlist and save them in the XYZ folder in .m3U format
5. Close iTunes

6. Open MM
7. Now create in the MediaTree under playlists, EMPTY playlists and rename them.
8. Go to "My Computer" in the MediaTree and navigate to the XYZ folder
9. Press a playlist
10. You can now see the individual titles in the detail area
11. Mark all
12. Right mouse button
13. Send to> playlist> choose the appropriate new entry
14.Continue at point 9

15. Restart MM
If everything works, you can delete the XYZ folder.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lerxyst

Post by Lerxyst »

I can successfully import a playlist if I have exported that single playlist from itunes as an .m3u file. But what I'm talking about is the import of the actual iTunes Music Library.xml file. When I import that file it creates all the playlist names, but they are empty. Do I have to have each individual playlist already exported to the same folder as a .m3u before importing the library XML?

The bigger issue is that the import does not pull in the metadata: Last PLayed, Playcount, Rating. With 20,000+ songs I'd really rather not manually recreate all of that in MediaMonkey.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hard to guess why this is happening for you.

We would need to see:
- your iTunesMusicLibrary.xml file
- your MM.DB
so that we can analyze it and find the reason for the failure.

Compress it (zip/rar) and upload the files to a free file hosting service (DropBox, RapidShare, FileDropper, ....) and share the link with us.
Maybe the best for sharing the link/files is to submit new eSupport ticket ( https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ets/Submit ) with the links.