Migrating from iTunes [#16036]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

stevemopolis

Migrating from iTunes [#16036]

Post by stevemopolis »

I'm in the process of migrating my large music library from iTunes for Windows to MM. According the the MM knowledgebase on migrating from iTunes to MM, it says that it will import iTunes ratings and play history but it doesn't say exactly how to do that. I scanned my media library with MM and imported all of my tracks, then did a second scan that included my iTunes folder (different than my media folder) where the iTunes database is. The scan populated the ratings but not with the iTunes ratings. I'm not sure where it picked up the ratings from as they do not resemble my ratings in the slightest. It did not import the play history.

Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do to bring this data over to MM?
Last edited by stevemopolis on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: Migrating from iTunes

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMW should prompt you to import iTunes library on scan. If it is not shown or iTunes show as grayed it is due the fact that newer iTunes version do not export/maintain XML file of its library. To fix that you can either try to export XML using File -> Library -> Export Library or as described here http://osxdaily.com/2018/05/23/itunes-l ... ssing-fix/ to enable XML library share with other apps.

You should restart MMW then in order to be detected.

I guess that Files contain some ratings and that MMW imported.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

I'm not being prompted when I do a scan. I do have an .xml version of my iTunes library and have included that folder in my scan although the scan seems to ignore the iTunes database files and only reads my playlists .m3u files and the actual media folders. Is the prompt a popup dialog box after I say OK to scan or is it supposed to be a checkbox in the scan dialog box?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is iTunes still installed, and if so in the default place?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You should get this window on MMW scan results where you can select Import from iTunes
Best regards,
Peke
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

iTunes is still installed in the default installation folder and the database files are located in ..\Music\iTunes where iTunes installed them. The actual media files are located on a different drive as configured in iTunes preferences.

I nuked the MM library, rebooted MM and rescanned. When the scan was complete the summary dialog box came up but there was no option to select iTunes or Windows Media Player.

Steve
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

ok, disregard my last post. Being a typical brain-dead user, I didn't notice that the iTunes checkbox was greyed out on the scan summary dialog box. I did a rescan and checked the appropriate boxes on the summary window but that did not bring over the ratings or play history. Do I need to nuke the library again and scan from scratch? I have just under 234000 songs in the database so it takes several hours to do a scan from scratch...

Steve
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] Migrating from iTunes

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would not blame you, Apple do not make things easy when you want to migrate from their product. Wonder have you ever tried to migrate all your call history, SMS, pictures and media from iPhone to Android Phone easily :angel:
Best regards,
Peke
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

Actually, this is not yet resolved. I've nuked my database and rescanned. When scanning is complete I see the summary screen and click the boxes to scan the iTunes database. I see a moment of scan activity and the scan completes. No ratings or play history are transferred. I've regenerated my iTunes .xml file and scanned again but I still don't get any data transferred. I'm not sure what else to try. It's a bit frustrating because a complete scan takes over 6 hours due to the size of my database.
Last edited by stevemopolis on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] Migrating from iTunes

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you checked that XML File contain Playcounts and ratings?

Code: Select all

<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>78</integer>
			<key>Size</key><integer>9173120</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>156865</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>10</integer>
			<key>Year</key><integer>2013</integer>
			<key>BPM</key><integer>140</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2019-10-01T23:07:00Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2018-01-01T13:53:58Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>320</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Rating</key><integer>100</integer>
			<key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>5253A7E0B4F969E4</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>-1</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>Let It Go</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>Demi Lovato</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>Frozen (Deluxe Edition)</string>
			<key>Genre</key><string>Soundtrack</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
			<key>Comments</key><string>9B - Energy 6</string>
			<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/C:/Users/Peke/Music/Demi%20Lovato%20-%20Let%20It%20Go%201%201.mp3</string>
		</dict>
Best regards,
Peke
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

Yes, everything appears to be in the .xml file. My xml file is about 730MB in size, could that be a problem? When MM goes to look at the XML file after a scan, it completes in less than a couple of seconds so I don't think it is doing anything. With a data file that large I would think it would take some time to scan the file and update the database.

Code: Select all

<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>16822</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>Marie Laveaux</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>¡Cubanismo!</string>
			<key>Album Artist</key><string>¡Cubanismo!</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>Mardi Gras Mambo</string>
			<key>Genre</key><string>Latin</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
			<key>Size</key><integer>5882386</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>287399</integer>
			<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Track Count</key><integer>12</integer>
			<key>Year</key><integer>2000</integer>
			<key>BPM</key><integer>92</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2015-03-06T21:25:02Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2005-01-11T06:39:11Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>160</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Play Count</key><integer>5</integer>
			<key>Play Date</key><integer>3395560138</integer>
			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2011-08-07T18:08:58Z</date>
			<key>Rating</key><integer>60</integer>
			<key>Album Rating</key><integer>60</integer>
			<key>Album Rating Computed</key><true/>
			<key>Normalization</key><integer>5858</integer>
			<key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>1558726B250F1075</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/M:/iTunes%20Media/Music/%C2%A1Cubanismo!/Mardi%20Gras%20Mambo/01%20Marie%20Laveaux.mp3</string>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
		</dict>
Thanks for helping me with this.

Steve
Last edited by stevemopolis on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemopolis

iTunes XML file will not import

Post by stevemopolis »

I am re-posting this issue because it was not actually resolved from my previous topic on the matter.

In a nutshell, I have a large iTunes library (233K songs) with an XML file that is about 730MB in size. No matter what I try I cannot get MM to read the XML file to update the song ratings and play history, both of which are important to me for the creation of smart playlists. My last post on the issue is here:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 72#p462065.

When I do a media scan, I get to the summary page and click the appropriate check boxes to have MM import data from iTunes. I click OK and MM completes within 2 seconds and no data is imported. I know MM is looking at the XML file because if I remove it and do the scan I get an error stating that MM cannot find the XML file. I'm at a loss as to why nothing is being imported. Doing a complete re-scan of the library from scratch takes about 8 hours so trying new stuff with no results is very discouraging. One of the reasons I purchased MM Gold is because it is supposed to be able to handle large libraries and, for the most part, it does. But this issue is really beginning to frustrate me.

Since I'm very new to MM, I really appreciate the suggestions and efforts made to help so far but there is still no resolution and the issue seems to have been dropped as the original thread topic has been updated to [Solved] when it hasn't been. Thanks in advance for any other suggestions that anyone can offer.

Steve
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

So I've been pounding my head against this for several days now without any success. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the XML file or its location. I know that MM is looking for the XML file after it completes a scan and asks if I want to update the iTunes info because if I remove the XML file beforehand I get an error message from MM. I've tried adding new songs to iTunes and scanning them into MM and while the songs import into the MM database the ratings and last played metadata do not. I've also tried configuring MM to scan all files again regardless of filedate and, after 7 hours of scanning, that didn't result in a successful import of the iTunes metadata, either.

The only things left that I can think of are:
  • XML file/library is too large - my library has 240000 songs and my XML file is about 780MB in size.
  • My media folders are on a separate drive than my iTunes folder where the XML file and iTunes database are.
I've run out of ideas but getting this metadata imported into iTunes is integral to my playslists working. I have over 10 years of metadata accumulated that I do not want to abandon. I'm hoping somebody has some suggestions of other things to try.

Steve
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
could you please ZIP the XML and upload the file to a free file hosting service (DropBox, RapidShare, FileDropper, MediaFire, ...) and share the link to the file with us for analyze?

Put the link here or send me private message with the link.

Thanks.
stevemopolis

Post by stevemopolis »

I've pm'ed you with a link to my XML file.