Switched from Itunes but...

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

benji8

Switched from Itunes but...

Post by benji8 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am

Greetings,

requesting info on the following:
Moved over from itunes all went well with one exception. My date added (column) ended up being the moved date vice the dates that are listed in itunes. Can this be corrected?

I would like to stop using the itunes folder where all the music is currently stored and switch/move to a new folder. to be clear basically moving all my music to new folder that will be the main MM folder vice continuing using itunes folder. While making switch i would like to store my music in by New Main Music folder - Artist - Album - song based on how i read it in MM. Example New Main Music folder - U2 - Joshua Tree - Red Mill mining town. Understand that if the Artist states U2 feat ... that would create another folder like it's a different artist. I will fix that manually and switch feat info and place that info in the song title info. I'm pretty sure that this is happening already by default but just wanted to double check that it is.

Thanks

yarguy

Re: Switched from Itunes but...

Post by yarguy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am

Save yourself much grief and use Auto-Organize Files under Tools to move the files. You will need to use masks to do this properly: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... s_Examples. Also save yourself much grief and use Album Artist (which will/should be the same for all tracks on an album) rather than Artist. Above all, do not change or move anything outside MM; if you do, MM will lose track of where things are and you will spend much unproductive time helping MM find them.

Lowlander

Re: Switched from Itunes but...

Post by Lowlander » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:12 am

Added should be the date the files were added in MediaMonkey.

You can use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move and rename the folder/files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... enames/4.0

Use <Album Artist> instead of <Artist> as Album Artist should be U2, whereas Artist will be U2; featuring artist. All files on an Album should have the same Album Artist, but Artist can be any value.

Example Mask
C:\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)