using Media Monkey on a network

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cb_montreal

using Media Monkey on a network

Post by cb_montreal »

HI

I currently have 4 pcs connected up via network to 3 x 250gig portable hard drives sharing .wav files (we are in the music business)

If I ripa cd onto hard drive and then add title and artist to track, I can't seem to get the other people on the network using Media Monkey to also see the tags, are they only on my pc? even though the music drives are networked?

anyone have any ideas?

many thanks
Lowlander

some help

Post by Lowlander »

For MM to see any changes on other PC's you will need to update the database with Add new tracks or File monitor (not update library) on each of those PC's. You might need to play with the only for changed timestamp option to get the wished for results.
MM uses the DB to store tags and uses those stored tags to display the info in MM, it doesn't use the filetags themselves unless you update stuff (files or DB).

A possible better solution in your case might be to share the MM DB on all machines, so any change in the music is reflected on any machine instantly. With sharing a DB you'll need to be carefull with track paths stored in the DB. You'll also need to change the MediaMonkey.ini file to reflect the new location of the DB (DBNAME=path/MediaMonkey.mdb).
Dewbacca

Post by Dewbacca »

Simular question... still learning the Tricks of a network... so bear with me please.

I have 3 computers on a network, all are old, slow and running win98SE.
All run MM but I want them all to share the same source of music (Database?).
"Adding Tracks" seems to have results, on the main computer (one with the data) and on the secondary. But tonight I added MM to a third machine on the network... painstakingly found and installed the MDAC, and it goes thru the motions of adding tracks from the network path, but never "Finds" anything.

I cannot be too specific when adding tracks from a network, as it only allows me to search the whole shared Drive.

After searching the forums here I have read several excellent replies but am confused with the term DB (database?). Is this refering to a file made and used by MM or does it refer to the Database of music being read?

I will keep looking thru the forums for more info, and want to thank the Creators of this Tremendous program, and the people in this community for participating in supporting the other users (Thank you Flying lowlander).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MM uses a database to store information about songs. It puts the location of the file in the database and tags. In addition to that some other things like playlists are stored in the database.

Because MM stores some information about songs in the database that isn't stored in the songs, some users like to share the database itself among several computers on a network.

So when talking about a database on the forums normally the database that MM generates about your music you have added to the program is refered too.

You could choose to run one database, but I haven't done this on windows 98. I shouldn't be too much trouble, but you never know. If you want that I can explain the steps here again or you can look around the forum.

As for the machine that is having trouble, you could try to access the tracks thru the My Computer node and see if that works. You can check the location node and see if the tracks were added.
Otherwise I don't have much ideas right now of what could be wrong with that machine.

I hope this helped a little
Dewbacca

Post by Dewbacca »

It does help some... problem is not yet resolved... but its just a matter of time right?

I have no Idea what the problem is either... I can play the song on said defective computer in winamp thru the network... so Issue is in Media monkey looking across the network. Hmmm.

Could you link me to a post where you have walked thru the process of sharing a .mdb file?

*EDIT* Hey.. know what, let me get the latest version... that often helps a lot. :oops: I am running version 1.557 :o
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well thats kinda old.

2.1 is better.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I found a post:

http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic ... ght=shared

Remember that you always have to add tracks thru the network shared folder. Otherwise other PC's can't find the songs.
Dewbacca

Post by Dewbacca »

Newest version took care of the Problem... now I have to update the other Two computers hehe...

Looking forward to going Gold soon!!

thanks Guys (& Gals)