Contributing Artist Search Feature?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pereston

Contributing Artist Search Feature?

Post by pereston »

I’ve got a collection of over 18,000 (mostly Jazz) recordings that I currently use Windows Media Player to search from and play. A key feature available with WMP is the metadata property “Contributing Artist” where you can list the various artist on a music track with each artist name separated by a semi-colon. I can then search the “Contributing Artist” list on the WMP screen to find all the recordings in my collection for any artist on the list. Does MediaMonkey support this feature? Can I setup a "Contributing Artist" title in the title Bar?
Lowlander

Re: Contributing Artist Search Feature?

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey you'd do this in the Artist field (the Album Artist field is for the Artist whom the Album belongs to). This does use ; separate values and thus us multi-value capable.

You also have Involved People and Original Artist, but they're not multi-value fields.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

If you want the Artist field to have only the principal artist for the track, say Erroll Garner (I'm listening to his newly released Nightconcert), you can add the other artists (say Eddie Calhoun and Kelly Martin), in the Involved People field which is on the Details tab of Properties - use semi-colons to separate the names. If you do that, you need to be sure that Involved People is checked in the list of fields to search (Tools - Options - Library - Search and then scroll down to find Involved People). Doing it this way also provides a way to search for artists only when they are the main artist by using the format Artist: Erroll Garner, for example, as the search term.

pereston wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am I’ve got a collection of over 18,000 (mostly Jazz) recordings that I currently use Windows Media Player to search from and play. A key feature available with WMP is the metadata property “Contributing Artist” where you can list the various artist on a music track with each artist name separated by a semi-colon. I can then search the “Contributing Artist” list on the WMP screen to find all the recordings in my collection for any artist on the list. Does MediaMonkey support this feature? Can I setup a "Contributing Artist" title in the title Bar?
pereston

Post by pereston »

Thanks for your help....it works.
I have another ?
Is their a way to pull up a running list of all the "artists" I've noted without all the tunes they perform on....... Just an alphabetical listing of artist only.
Example..............
Acker Bilk
Adrian Rollini
Al Fairweather
Al Gold
Al Grey
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Artist node in the Media Tree or the Column Browser (View > Show Column Browser) can show this.