Scanning music folder lasts extremely long?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Donus

Re: Scanning music folder lasts extremely long?

Post by Donus »

Alright. So can I recognize a corrupt data base? Will there be shown nothing then, can it be opened at all? Or may be there are just missing some / many albums, tracks so I would not recognize it if it were corrupt?

There still is no access to MM, still running the same way.
Windows 10 Home, 64bit | Current stable MediaMonkey Gold
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may see errors, which would indicate issues with the database.
Donus

Post by Donus »

OK, thank you
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Extra spaces after word in the song properties has been one issue that caused slow down or stopping of the scan for me. That's mostly found by searching the properties of the song that you see was last tried to be scanned when it stops.
Also lock up of the screen is normal for media monkey when ram is low. If you have multiple cpus, I have found it best to run only media monkey on one of them and everything else on the others, also add swap file space to all the hard drives and add as much ram memory into your system as you're motherboard can handle. If you can add a cooling fan then add that in too.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Donus

Post by Donus »

OK, so best seems to be to just buy a new computer to run MM.

It still hangs. I guess, I will stop it with the Task Manager.
Donus

Post by Donus »

I stopped the process now and removed the data base and started the next scan.

Should I activate both of those options or is "Scan continuously" enough?

Now there is shown the adding process twice:

What does that mean?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Likely that you have both Folder Monitoring and manual scan running, or you started manual scan twice (each time you Okay Add/Rescan Files it starts a scan).

Startup Scan is slower (it scans all files), but will pick up any changes you made when MediaMonkey wasn't running. Continuous Scan only picks up changes made when MediaMonkey is running.
Donus

Post by Donus »

Likely that you have both Folder Monitoring and manual scan running, or you started manual scan twice (each time you Okay Add/Rescan Files it starts a scan).
Yes, that is it. I am wondering what might be the sense of programming it that way? Why start a new scan each time one presses OK or such instead of just avoid starting the next scan when one already is running.

How could I cance one of those scans and generally a single scan?...Ah yes, mouse over one of those lines and "Terminate".
Startup Scan is slower (it scans all files), but will pick up any changes you made when MediaMonkey wasn't running. Continuous Scan only picks up changes made when MediaMonkey is running.
So it sounds like one should use both of them to not to miss any new file.

Many thanks
Donus

Post by Donus »

Suddenly this message appeared:

I do not scan / have music files to be scannned on that drive. What does that mean? Why does that message suddenly appear?

MM scans so slowly and I still have some drives to scan, is there really no way to make it faster?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds like a Sync is happening to the device.
Donus

Post by Donus »

But I didn't start one and the only folder on I: being monitored is the music folder I set.

At seems as if at each program start (that option activated) MM scans the entire Library again with the same very slow speed using 30 to 40 % of the CPU all the time slowing down the system. I thought after the first scan is done the next scans would be very much faster, but it does not seem to be like that. Is there any setting which could accelerate the following scans?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Subsequent scans should be faster. You can capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket for developer analysis: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
Donus

Post by Donus »

OK, thank you very much!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Error also can happen due the bad USB/MTP driver communication. May I suggest that you install latest USB drivers as explained here https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb.html
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Donus

Post by Donus »

Hello,

Many thanks for the link?

Is that all about Android? At the moment I do not need the tracks on the Smartphone to be scanned.