1 MediaMonkey and multiple directories

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hdhntr23

1 MediaMonkey and multiple directories

Post by Hdhntr23 »

If I want to have MMonkey pull from multiple directories but not MOVE the files... how would I do that?

I have 3 directories that I want it to pull from but I dont want it to move any of the files. I am hoping I can set up an instance to do this?

Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: 1 MediaMonkey and multiple directories

Post by Lowlander »

Just scan the files (File > Add/Rescan Files). No moving will happen unless you enable Tools > Options > Auto-Organize.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

what if I want it to auto organize? or at least use my auto organize by my rules?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can. You can do so manually using Tools > Auto-Organize Files on selected files or use Tools > Options > Auto-Organize to do it automatically. You have Criteria of what to Organize and the $If() Condition statement. Just take your time to setup and verify you've done so correctly.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

Seems complicated...

Am I better off just combining the directories?

Or,

Can you please break down what youre saying a bit further?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I hope this helps. I use two masks in Auto-Organise, one for classical albums and another for jazz.

For classical: D:\Classical Recordings\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

which puts all tracks from classical recordings in a sub-folder under D:\Classical Recordings; that sub-folder title is the name of the album as it is entered in the MM properties dialog box.

For Jazz: d:\Jazz Albums\<Album Artist>\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>

which puts all jazz albums in a sub-sub-folder under D:\Jazz Albums; the subfolders are \Album Artist\Album again as entered in the MM properties dialog.

I did try to combine theseusing a conditional statement based on Type:

$if(<Type>=Classical Music,D:\Classical Recordings\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>,d:\Jazz Albums\<Album Artist>\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>)

This works okay for Classical Albums, but I have some glitch and it produces:

D:\Jazz Albums\Artist\Album\d\Artist\Album\Track# Title

and I cannot figure out what I did wrong.

Hdhntr23 wrote:Seems complicated...

Am I better off just combining the directories?

Or,

Can you please break down what youre saying a bit further?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ormats/4.0

If you use Tools > Options > Auto-Organize you can use Criteria of Collection, Genre or Playlist. So you could create an AutoPlaylist that matches (Path) all files on drive 1 and create a rule for that drive. Then repeat for each drive. That way files stay on their respective drive.

If you use Tools > Auto-Organize Files you could use multiple organize rules and you'd select the appropriate one (from drop-down) for the selected files. Or if the Organize rule is the same for all drives you can use \<my rules> as that would start your rules at the root of the drive.

Make sure you test any Mask you come up with in Tools > Auto-Organize Files as it will show you the resulting change. Once it is correct for all scenarios you can setup Tools > Options > Auto-Organize if you so desire.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Code: Select all

,d:\Jazz Albums\<Album Artist>\<Album>\\$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#>\)<Track#:2> <Title>)
has 2 \\ after <Album>

However the Mask seems to work here, it has Album Artist as expected.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

Is it possible to set up a second library? That might be the answer to my question... If so can anyone point me to how? To create a new node so to speak?

Have 2 concurrent libraries at the same time, be able to access them both and take from one to add to the other?

I have a main library that is about 47k songs strong that I have been working on for about 10 years... Let's just say its damn near perfect.

I have a directory on one of my HDD's that has close to 25K songs on it that Id like to clean up before I even think about adding to my main library. They are in a VERY messy state.

I'd like to throw MMonkey against it so I can start the process of adding them to my main pristine library?

Any help or ideas of how to accomplish this would be very welcome.

Thanks!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

File > Manage Collections and use Path as Criteria to your separate Libraries.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

Lowlander wrote:File > Manage Collections and use Path as Criteria to your separate Libraries.

You wouldnt happen to know if there is a blub somewhere describing best practices with using collections would you?? Or something in the wiki?

Also, can each collection have its own auto organize rules? Or, are those rules over the entire program vs. collection by collection?

Thanks.
Last edited by Hdhntr23 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no best practices, it's about customizing to the individuals needs. You set it up as fits your needs. In your case Path would work as Criteria as you have 2 sets of files in different locations. Collections are just a database separation of files in the Library.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

I added this later...

Also, can each collection have its own auto organize rules? Or, are those rules over the entire program vs. collection by collection?

Thanks.

BTW you seem incredibly patient and I appreciate you helping me do this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Auto-Organize rules can be set per Collection, Playlist or Genre.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, Auto-Organize rules can be set per Collection, Playlist or Genre.
Do you know why one cannot drag and drop between collections?

Also, why do auto-organize rules only work when you bring in new music vs. working on a "watched" folder/directory no matter when the files were added?

For example, I am creating 4 total (so far) collections and the rules only work (that I have found) on music that's being brought in new. This is VERY time consuming vs. working on files that already exist in the library.

Thanks