MM locking during conversion

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

NWDreamer

MM locking during conversion

Post by NWDreamer »

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue (a quick search did not find my exact situation).

Very often, when I'm convert a batch of tracks from .mp3's greater than 192 kbps to .mp3's at 192 kbps, that somewhere during the batch MM will lock or freeze. After killing the app I'm often left with a Decoder process that also needs to be stopped before I can try again. I never get stuck on just one track and it seems kind of random, but when I take about 1,000 tracks in batches of 150 (which I found aborts less), I'm still getting two to three lockups. More wasted time!
Craig B. (a.k.a., NW Dreamer - Gold MediaMonkey user.)
Lowlander

Re: MM locking during conversion

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried running File > Maintain Library with complete optimization? Are you doing many other things in MediaMonkey during this process?
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

More information. When I right-click on the MM icon in the task bar and select close I get a "stopped working" dialog box and the additional information is as follows:
Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: MediaMonkey.exe
Application Version: 4.1.11.1783
Application Timestamp: 56b2350d
Hang Signature: 199b
Hang Type: 1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 199b2a3096f41ea420965dc0d2fc2849
Additional Hang Signature 2: b431
Additional Hang Signature 3: b4313b84fa183bc449b31830ed5e8eb0
Additional Hang Signature 4: 9c58
Additional Hang Signature 5: 9c580ba5b8531ce4e40243c732a912d4
Additional Hang Signature 6: 05b1
Additional Hang Signature 7: 05b1090ca1aa8d5c628e7ef83d2cfc51
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Lowlander wrote:Have you tried running File > Maintain Library with complete optimization? Are you doing many other things in MediaMonkey during this process?
I did this after you brought it to my attention last week (when I was having lag due to Magic Nodes - since uninstalled for now). During both importing and conversions it's impossible to do ANYTHING else in MM so I don't try (i.e., the importing or conversion process seems to take up all available MM resources - I can do non-MM things just fine).

After how many imports should I re-do the complete optimization of the library?

Here's the information about my PC:

MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

NWDreamer wrote:After how many imports should I re-do the complete optimization of the library?
It depends. Did it seem to do any good after you did it? If so, did the import/conversion process eventually start locking things up again?
Last edited by MMFrLife on Thu May 05, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I tend to do it when things seem slow/hangy. Generally once every few months.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Ok, thanks!

My usage is far from normal at the moment as I'm slamming thousands of tracks into MM. I'll remember to perform the maintenance more often until I'm just playing songs.
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

I'm doing a complete optimize prior to converting each batch of tracks, but I'm still getting program hangs with leftover Decoder processes. Sometimes after 300, sometimes after 4 (like it just did).

I'm currently running it on an old version of Windows 7 and am about to install a fresh copy of some OS (either 7 or 8.1). Maybe that will help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then I'd capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Ok. I usually just keep closing and restarting the program deleting any leftover Decoder processes until everything is converted so I'll be ready to create a log on my next batch.

Thanks.