Several Problems.. or anoyances

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MasterMe

Several Problems.. or anoyances

Post by MasterMe »

Well to start of:

i'm running Windows XP Proffesional with 1 Gb of RAM

My music library has about 21000 files with a size of 110 GB

Well first off i am using currently the free version of MediaMonkey version: 2.5.1.934

Well the first thing i did is install it.. loaded all my files into the library which took quiet a while but that i thought was pretty obvious with reading all the data. Than i changed some tags here and there all worked perfectly :D

now i removed Windows media player as much as possible and winamp and set all audio files to play with MM.

And i set Media Monkey in mij Start Up directory so it starts up with windows.

First problem occurs when my "Now Playing" list still contains about 100+ files it is gonna read this data from the files itself and not from the library which again seems to take ages!! and makes it even hard to start playback.

when i than clear the playlist and add files from library it works fine again !! but i don't wanna do that every time i restart my computer.

so is there an option that it remembers all your now playing data or something.. so it is much faster? just as you add new files from library?

or/and is it possible to start MM with the "Now Playing" always empty?

Another Problem is when i double click a music file (mostly internet streams) it is said to load it automatically into MM and start playing.

Although 90% of the time my MM crashes. When i drag the file into my Now playing list it works(90% of the time).. but it's damn annoying.

Any known problems with that???

Than another thing i have a X10 Remote with my computer and a little program called Girder, with which i can nearly control any program with my remote control. And of course for music this would ben great :D.

Although because of the fact that MM is configured with sub screens i can hardly ever send a commando to the main screen so that it stops playing or pauses or whatever..

well if anybody has any experience with that? i'd be glad to hear. Although i have some good functions now working through key shortcuts but still it's not really secure/effective way to do this.

But i still think MM is one of the better programs out there because of it great library functionality!!

well i hope to see some reactions soon :)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hello
First problem occurs when my "Now Playing" list still contains about 100+ files it is gonna read this data from the files itself and not from the library which again seems to take ages!! and makes it even hard to start playback.
This is a known problem. See the script http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6571 if you want to clear the Now Playing list (partially) if MM starts up, so it will go a little faster.

I've made a script that has a workaround for this problem (it uses the library songs instead of getting the info from the file tags), but am waiting for a fix in MM2.5.2 scripting behaviour to release it. That script could be used until the behaviour gets corrected in MediaMonkey's code (this will be for version 2.6)

Another Problem is when i double click a music file (mostly internet streams) it is said to load it automatically into MM and start playing.
Yes, streaming support seems to be somewhat "preliminary" and needs improvements. Giving your problems/bugs/wishes will certainly help.

Than another thing i have a X10 Remote with my computer and a little program called Girder, with which i can nearly control any program with my remote control. And of course for music this would ben great
I don't have any experience with that, but this has been discussed several times in the forum. You can see if there's anything interesting in the forums by searching for "girder".

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try create a bug report as explained in the bug forum for your streaming problems. This will help the developers solve problems.

As for the now playing problem another request has been to store it in the database. Someone might create a script to do this. This should speed things up.
Another solution is to use the autoDJ (Gold only????) and allow it to only show a few played songs and a few upcomming. This way the now playing will be small and quick. AutoDJ can work from a playlist so you can still tell from what subset of music you want to listen to.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Than another thing i have a X10 Remote with my computer and a little program called Girder, with which i can nearly control any program with my remote control. And of course for music this would ben great
Here is ATI Remote Wonder Girder Script (X10 Compatible) it can be modified to support any remote that is supported in girder
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

As for the now playing problem another request has been to store it in the database. Someone might create a script to do this.
Well I did, but it's waiting for a bug fix in MM 2.5.2 to be released.

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Post by Guest »

tx for the reply's so far :D
This is a known problem. See the script http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6571 if you want to clear the Now Playing list (partially) if MM starts up, so it will go a little faster.
ok i installed the Clear Now Playing list but it doesn't seem to work? i have the vbs file in te right directory and i get the idea that it should just work than? but well my now playing list is always full.
I've made a script that has a workaround for this problem (it uses the library songs instead of getting the info from the file tags), but am waiting for a fix in MM2.5.2 scripting behaviour to release it. That script could be used until the behaviour gets corrected in MediaMonkey's code (this will be for version 2.6)
ahh that would be nice :)

Yes, streaming support seems to be somewhat "preliminary" and needs improvements. Giving your problems/bugs/wishes will certainly help.
Well as i said before it's mostly with streaming files because those are the only one's i need to start outside of MM. But when i get a new album or something and i just want to play it. I get the same problems these are mostly mp3 files though i shall try it with some other music formats soon..

Ahh and for the remote i downloaded your remote girder file it seems to have nearly all options configired i'll test it soon :).
MasterMe

Post by MasterMe »

^^ that is my post (MasterMe)
wallstreetwalker

Post by wallstreetwalker »

about the script: make sure you also edited the ini file in the scripts folder, if you have done so, i am of no help :oops:
PUNK IN DRUBLIC

Post by Guest »

ok i didn't but neither did the installer i downloaded from trixmoto's site
maybe that is not neccessary because it is supposed to be an auto script?

so i added this piece to the ini file and put the vbs file in scripts

and i got an error on line 1 column 0 which indicates on exactly nothing..

Code: Select all

[ClearNowPlaying]
FileName=ClearNowPlaying.vbs
ProcName=ClearNowPlaying
Order=6
DisplayName=ClearNowPlaying
Description=ClearNowPlaying
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0

Post by Guest »

Well as i said before it's mostly with streaming files because those are the only one's i need to start outside of MM. But when i get a new album or something and i just want to play it. I get the same problems these are mostly mp3 files though i shall try it with some other music formats soon..
well i typed the above my self but it seems i found the problem.

I have a hard disk which isn't always connected..

so i had at the point of testing a library full of songs but none where accesible because the hard drive they where on was not connected.

at the same time i had AutoDJ running which automatically adds extra songs from the library. So i assume MM was looking for 5 songs but there weren't any available!!! so it just kept searching and ends up in an endless loop or a very long one...

well at least that is solved :)
MasterMe

Post by MasterMe »

Peke wrote:
Here is ATI Remote Wonder Girder Script (X10 Compatible) it can be modified to support any remote that is supported in girder
i tried it, and it seems working ok for most part but.. is this one usable for Girder 3.3 ?

because there are a lot of OSD Command's which go to the plugin tab.. but i don't know which plugin in need for those than?
Peke

Post by Peke »

1. I made it in 3.3.8 but it works in 4.0
2. OSD you can delete but if you want it is XP OSD plugin.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum
MasterMe

Post by MasterMe »

yeah tx i got it working now :D

oh and the reason the script wasn't working was because i preffered the Non-skinned version.. not sure why that would effect the script but it's working now...