QuickTime insecure, MediaMonkey needs a free m4a decoder

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

xichael

QuickTime insecure, MediaMonkey needs a free m4a decoder

Post by xichael »

Apparently, Apple will no longer be patching security vulnerabilities in QuickTime for Windows:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04 ... rabilities

In light of this, MediaMonkey really should start including a free m4a decoder. This is such a ubiquitous format now, and so universally supported by other media players, it's quite an oversight that MediaMonkey is incapable of m4a playback out of the box.
Lowlander

Re: QuickTime insecure, MediaMonkey needs a free m4a decoder

Post by Lowlander »

If you have a newer Windows it's already included: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... aac-tracks
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
xichael

Post by xichael »

This hasn't been my experience on Windows 7 or 10. Without installing QuickTime first, MediaMonkey won't play m4a files.
BronyFurChrist

Post by BronyFurChrist »

xichael wrote:This hasn't been my experience on Windows 7 or 10. Without installing QuickTime first, MediaMonkey won't play m4a files.
Same here, Windows 10, MediaMonkey Gold updated to the latest version still required QuickTime.
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

try getting a free codec package for your op system, win xp ... win 10 i use the advance codecs from shark 007
they should allow windows players or 3rd party players play any audio video format.
8)

roving cowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

MM4 uses Windows AAC decoder for decoding AAC-LC (in Win7 and later), QuickTime for decoding M4P (encrypted M4A), and QuickTime or f_aac_codec (part of MM codec pack) for decoding AAC-LC and ALAC.
Could you please confirm, that M4A files, you cannot play without QuickTime in Windows 7 and later, are ALAC? In case you are not sure, you can use e.g. Media Info (http://mediaarea.net) for file format analysis. We can consider adding separate ALAC decoder/encoder plugin to MM4.
We cannot add AAC decoder for free, because of license fees (ALAC is already free, AAC not).
Thanks.
BronyFurChrist

Post by BronyFurChrist »

MiPi wrote:MM4 uses Windows AAC decoder for decoding AAC-LC (in Win7 and later), QuickTime for decoding M4P (encrypted M4A), and QuickTime or f_aac_codec (part of MM codec pack) for decoding AAC-LC and ALAC.
Could you please confirm, that M4A files, you cannot play without QuickTime in Windows 7 and later, are ALAC? In case you are not sure, you can use e.g. Media Info (http://mediaarea.net) for file format analysis. We can consider adding separate ALAC decoder/encoder plugin to MM4.
We cannot add AAC decoder for free, because of license fees (ALAC is already free, AAC not).
Thanks.
For mine, it appears my M4A files (or, at least, this particular one that MediaMonkey was unable to play after uninstalling QuickTIme, I have others) are indeed ALAC.

Here is a screenshot from MediaInfo: Image
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

BronyFurChrist: ok, thanks. So combination of Windows 7 AAC decoder and own ALAC decoder would cover most of the M4A files. Will add it to wishlist, seems to be good idea.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

BronyFurChrist

Post by BronyFurChrist »

MiPi wrote:Tracked here
Is there any way to subscribe to that without manually checking back every now and then? Can't figure out the RSS feed and there's no place to register? Is Mantis only for developers?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

BronyFurChrist wrote: Is there any way to subscribe to that without manually checking back every now and then? Can't figure out the RSS feed and there's no place to register? Is Mantis only for developers?
It is only for developers and support. But I'll write to this forum topic just after the issue is fixed, you can subscribe to this topic.
BronyFurChrist

Post by BronyFurChrist »

MiPi wrote:
BronyFurChrist wrote: Is there any way to subscribe to that without manually checking back every now and then? Can't figure out the RSS feed and there's no place to register? Is Mantis only for developers?
It is only for developers and support. But I'll write to this forum topic just after the issue is fixed, you can subscribe to this topic.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

First version of free ALAC decoder/encoder (f_alac_encdec.dll) is included in the latest beta build (1788).
Currently it supports 16bit ALACs, working on full support.
BronyFurChrist

Post by BronyFurChrist »

MiPi wrote:First version of free ALAC decoder/encoder (f_alac_encdec.dll) is included in the latest beta build (1788).
Currently it supports 16bit ALACs, working on full support.
Good to know work is progressing so quickly! :D
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

So ALACs with bps 20/24/32 will be supported from the next beta build (1789 or later).