OGG won't play

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

OGG won't play

Post by Guest »

MM on Windows 7. I just installed 4.1.11.1783, but it appears this is a problem that goes back to at least 4.0.7.1511.

I only just got some ogg files to play.

They simply won't play. They grey-out and the player skips forward to the next track.

The same files play fine in VLC and foobar2000.

Options -> Input Plug-ins lists "OggVorbis Input Plugin 1.1" with File: in_vorbis.dll. So that's there… it just isn't working….

DebugView only gets a message from MM when I exit MM. There's no other logging captured.

Any ideas? Would really like to be able to play ogg files in MM.
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: OGG won't play

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to offer one to support (use some filesharing like Dropbox and include link in your support ticket): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
daddyo

Post by daddyo »

I just tried one of mine, since I encoded all my cd's as OGG. It works fine on my end, with the same version of MM as you mention. Mine were encoded with variable bit rate between 256 and 320, with Winamp. I don't have any encodes with MM as I'm a fairly recent user, but I hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping there would be some known issue… Most of these are things like talks d/l'd from YouTube, so I'm guessing there's some issue with how Google is encoding them. They're also mostly too big to let sit in my Dropbox for any (especially indeterminate) length of time, I'm afraid.

(otoh, turns out VLC has pitch-stabilized speed control, so while it doesn't have the indexing/cataloging, that's a big plus…)
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

In your first post you stated they were greyed out, could MM think they are missing, have you tried rescan.

Post by Guest »

Hmm... they aren't grayed out until MM tries to play them. I did some rescans anyway, and no luck.

Actually, it fails to play .mp4 as well (but can do .m4a)... and it explicitly says it's missing a codec, and takes me to "MediaMonkey Codec Pack 2.1.2.105" on the MM website. That looks like trial-ware that I don't want to become dependent on, though, at least not until I've bought the full version of MM -- and especially if I shouldn't need to be with the built-in codecs.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Some codecs, due to Licensing costs, are sold separately (OGG should work though): http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... odec-pack/

MP4 can be resolved with QuickTime: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... aac-tracks

And a generic codec pack like k-lite will allow MediaMonkey to play many more formats.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

They are special ogg codec encoded. You're going to have to do a recode to mp3 format. Or use audacity and record them again to ogg with that .
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Most stream Rips and demuxed tracks OGG or not usually have corrupted or no header at all.

For VLC that is not an problem as it is designed around streaming player si it decides Stream Chunk by stream chunk and play them.

Have you tried to re encode files?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Post by Guest »

k-lite allowed the m4a files to work, but I'd still prefer ogg due to the size difference.

tbh, I've been using VLC mostly, because of the speed-up feature.

MM would still provide better cataloging, which is would help a lot.

I'm concerned about quality -- some of these are already marginal, and that limits how much I can speed them up. Would re-encoding from a lossy format to another lossy format reduce that quality even more? Either way, how would I re-encode them? Is that something MM can do?

Thanks for the pointers.

Post by Guest »

Oh! I didn't see the suggestion to use Audacity until I reloaded... hmm... iac, I'll try that. Thanks!