Windows 10 Strange behaviour with filepath and looping sound

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Ashran

Windows 10 Strange behaviour with filepath and looping sound

Post by Ashran »

Hi, I have updated my windows to 10 recently and have now a strange behaviour while using mediamonkey (4.1.6.1736, Gold).

First a bit of a background on my collection: I have my files on several hard drives (I am around 900.000+ tracks), on another computer and on NAS hard-drives. I am in the process of moving thoses files to only one NAS (a synology DS414 on a raid-5 setting) using the organisation-auto function available inside mediamonkey. While doing so I play music on auto-dj mode and it's here than the strange behaviour starts:

Sometimes, for no particular reasons, the track I am listenning to, which is not a part of what I am moving at the time, loops the first 5-10 seconds of itself while the timer advances, and shoots over the normal duration of the track. What's weirder still, when I look at the metadata of the file looping, I noticed that the filepath for the song is not even the right filepath, it points to another song entirely. If I do a search in the database for the name of the track and the artist, I find it, with the correct filepath. If I skip to next track in playlist, I have the song there playing normally but am still hearing the looping sample over the track (I have both playing at the same time...). I have to skip a second time to have back only one song playing...

I don't really know what's happening or why it is happening, has anyone have such a strange situation before, and if yes, what did you do to solve it ?

Thanks in advance
Ashran

Re: Windows 10 Strange behaviour with filepath and looping s

Post by Ashran »

Small update on my problem...

The strange behaviour happens also when I have a non random playlist playing. When I do no re organisation of my hard drives everything plays fine, but sometimes when I re organize my files, I have the same symptoms than with a random dj playlist.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

First you're running an older version of MediaMonkey.

The looping is a well documented issue. Switching Output Plugin often fixes the problem. You should also run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled.
Ashran

Post by Ashran »

I already did everything there, and the maintenace is already done... I also checked the filepath of evey files inside the playlist I am playing, and everything was okay. I noticed that for, when I move files with a non random playlist, the changed filepath is to one of the moving files. When I have finished moving the files, the correct song is playing if I restart or requeue it. It's only while moving files I have the problem.

Edit 1: For the older version of mediamonkey, when I check the availability of updates, it states I am up to date so I did not know there was a new version, I'll try again with that one, thank you :)

Edit 2: I Installed the newest version, and have still that behaviour. I was moving files, the next track in the playlist started playing and poof, the looping started again, and the filepath was one of thoses I was moving. Doing a research for the correct file, in the database, it was still the correct filepath.
Ashran

Post by Ashran »

Still more update on the problem: it seems mediamonkey mixes the tags of the two files. The tags of the moved files was changed during moving to the one's of the playing tracks. Weirder and weirder. I join a picture of the file id tag in mediamonkey.
http://hpics.li/4477d31
Peke

Post by Peke »

Huh, UNC Path :( Are you sure that you do not have bottleneck in your LAN ? Try to copy some bigger files from Network share and run http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html to test read and write speeds.

I had that issue in the past but after buying QNAP (do not want to start flame wars it is my personal experience and I tried several mid/high-end NAS) and set all wired using LAN LAG eg. LACP(802.3.ad) on two ports I get bandwidth of >30MBs when all three PCs are accessing the server.

EDIT: Also be careful of long filenames as they can be hitting Windows limitations easily on UNC paths.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ashran wrote:it seems mediamonkey mixes the tags of the two files. The tags of the moved files was changed during moving to the one's of the playing tracks.
That has been reported on older versions of MediaMonkey. I'm not sure this still is an issue on the latest release.
Ashran

Post by Ashran »

Lowlander wrote:That has been reported on older versions of MediaMonkey. I'm not sure this still is an issue on the latest release.
It still is, at least I still have the bug on the 4.1.8.1751 ( I had it this morning again.)