Putting all songs in root directory of CD??

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rick_dallas

Putting all songs in root directory of CD??

Post by rick_dallas »

Using v2.5.1.934 of MM

All I want to do is burn my wma songs to a CD (data CD) and put all of the songs in the root directory of the CD (no separate folders). Sounds simple enough but after making about 20 coasters, have decided I'm not smart enough to figure this out on my own. So, anyone, what's the syntax for doing this?

Looks like this is addressed in the help file.......if you're a programmer. How about updating the help file so it's written in English??? :lol:

Thanks.
Home built PC. 16g of memory. 12tb of sata HD. AMD Octo 4.2 ghz. Windows 8.1x64. 2g video card.
MM rocks!

Rick
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you need to have NON DMR wma files and you need to burn a data cdrom not an Audio cdrom.

Audio will make it play the songs as soon as you put the cdrom in the cdrom drive.

data will ask you what you want to do with it. and let you start it.

not all players can understand wma's mostly they use mp3's cdroms.

so converting the wma to mp3's and buring them to a data cdrom will work if you want to store lots of mp3 files.

but converting the wma to wav and buring an audio cdrom will only give you about 1 hour of sound.

if you have DRM wma's you wont beable to do much with them.

(data cdrom = same as storing file on hard drive )
(audio cdrom = same as analog record album )
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rick_dallas

Post by rick_dallas »

I know you're a regular poster and just trying to help and I agree with (most) of your response but...............

How about an answer to my question??? :wink:
Home built PC. 16g of memory. 12tb of sata HD. AMD Octo 4.2 ghz. Windows 8.1x64. 2g video card.
MM rocks!

Rick
Peke

Post by Peke »

try with "\<Artist> - <Title>" ("\U2- Paint It Black") as burning Mask this way you will be assured to write in Root.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pah68

Post by pah68 »

rick_dallas wrote:I know you're a regular poster and just trying to help and I agree with (most) of your response but...............

Ha ha ha ha. :lol:
rick_dallas

Post by rick_dallas »

Peke, that's what I thought too. But I've already tried that and it's still breaking the songs out into separate folders.

This seems like such a fundmental concept. I would think it would be the default. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there any other settings that need to be changed.

Any other ideas? :(
MM rocks!

Rick
Peke

Post by Peke »

Sorry, just tested and I was wrong use "<Artist> - <Title>" ("U2- Paint It Black") as burning Mask and if you save playlists then use "\" in where to burn playlists and prefix as playlist option.
Best regards,
Peke
rick_dallas

Post by rick_dallas »

I've tried that setting too. That's what I started with but it didn't work for me. I put that in the disc format field and the other two checkboxes are not checked. Should they be checked? If so, what parameters should I use in those other two checkboxes?

Thanks
MM rocks!

Rick
Peke

Post by Peke »

What try with new Beta I do not know what happening with you all allright with me if I set all like you.
Best regards,
Peke
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

rick_dallas wrote:I know you're a regular poster and just trying to help and I agree with (most) of your response but...............

:lol: :P :lol: :o :oops:

sorry about that i mis read your post.

was just a roving on by and thought to answer it for you but i seem to have forgot ta.
:oops:

as you know the slash will start a folder so don't use one.
just use the browse to button on the right of the text line, and browse to the cdrom you want to burn too. then just click the drive for it, and on the tag lines just click how you want them named and don't click in the text line at all. see if that will stop the creating of a folder.

or

try just to send to copy your files or drag to copy your wma's to the cdrom drive and see if it will copy them them there.

also did you check the options you have set up for any other burning program? there is the chance that they might be messing with the cdrw drive.

it might just also need to have a script for doing it the way you want too.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rick_dallas

Post by rick_dallas »

Thanks Cowboy. Some of what you're saying I couldn't follow what you're trying to say.

I'm trying to burn these songs for my son. He has a portable player and it doesn't appear to navigate to mulitple directories so all the songs need to be in one folder.

To me, this seem like a very basic function so hopefully don't need special scripting. I've been trying to figure out the "mask" thing, format, etc but the help file isn't much help unless you're a programmer. It would be nice if MM would show you how your files were going to be written to the CD as you selected different formats. Maybe in the next release......

I don't have any other CD burning software so I don't think there's a conflict there. I'm probably making too big a deal out of this but it sure seems like MM (or any CD burning software for that matter) would allow a simple way to burn all the songs and just put them in one folder. I mean, how hard could it be???

Much harder than I thought I guess..........
MM rocks!

Rick
jiri

Post by jiri »

Could you post a screenshot of 'Choose Disk Format' sheet of the burning wizard? I don't understand what could be wrong, Peke's suggestion should work just fine, i.e. write '<Artist> - <Title>' to 'Disc Format:' format, leave the other two fields unchecked and that's it.

Jiri
rick_dallas

Post by rick_dallas »

Ok, I just emailed you a screen capture of the MM screen you wanted and I also included a screen capture of my results using that format as viewed in File Explorer.

Let me know if you need any additional info.
MM rocks!

Rick
jiri

Post by jiri »

Rick,

the screenshots made it clear - tracks actually are all correctly burnt in the root folder of CD, but you have an option to show files in groups turned on in Explorer and so they appear as to be in separate folders by letters (A, B, C, ...). I.e. it's only how tracks are presented to you, physically they are properly burnt.

Jiri
rick_dallas

Post by rick_dallas »

Ok, that makes sense.

However, the only reason we thought the tracks were in different folders is because the portable player is only playing the songs from one artist (folder) and we couldn't play songs from any other artists on his portable player.

So that's when I put the cd in my PC and it appeared to me that the songs were in different folders which explained the problem (or so I thought).

When my son gets home today, we'll check it out again and see if we can figure out why they won't play on his portable player.

Thanks for your help but I don't think we're out of the woods yet! :D
MM rocks!

Rick